Tell me I'm not crazy! (Pet section)UPDATE: not the one I'd hoped to post.

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

Five weeks ago, I mated my two young Aussie Shepherd girls, three days apart.

Yesterday I had ultrasound confirmation that they are both pregnant.
They are due in about 4 weeks, give or take a few days. Just before Christmas.

I suspect that in about 8 weeks I'll be screaming loudly "What was I thinking???"

Right now I'm just super excited for lots and lots of puppies. Not quite so excited for the amount of poo I'll be dealing with though.

Kadoodle, wanna move in for a few weeks? I have a spare room, although you'll be sharing with a whelping box, a mummy dog and her brood. You have experienced several levels of craziness I think are required for the job.

The last time I did two litters at once, we had 14 puppies. We could end up with more this time. It was super, super fun and the most incredible amount of work. It took us a year to get over it.

Edited by FiveAus, 23 December 2019 - 12:18 PM.

#2 Mose

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Yes, yes you are crazy. But the good kind of crazy.

Enjoy.

#3 ~Kay~

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:10 AM

Crazy.

#4 casime

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:47 AM

Insane.

#5 bubskitkat

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

Crazy is good. Crazy makes life interesting.

Any chance you could up the crazies and have 3 litters of puppies around the same time?

BTW ensure your Christmas tree is secure as you might have puppy decorations up the tree!

16 puppies for Christmas. Tra la la la la

#6 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:56 AM

View Postbubskitkat, on 24 November 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

Crazy is good. Crazy makes life interesting.

Any chance you could up the crazies and have 3 litters of puppies around the same time?

BTW ensure your Christmas tree is secure as you might have puppy decorations up the tree!

16 puppies for Christmas. Tra la la la la

Hahaha nope to three litters. My other Aussie girl turns 12 soon, she's a bit old.

And no Christmas tree, haven't had one for years due to dogs, cats and the potential for disaster.

#7 IamtheMumma

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:15 AM

Your girls are beautiful.

#8 little lion

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

Such beautiful dogs. I’m looking forward to puppy photos!

#9 annodam

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

Yes you are crazy, adding more dogs in an already oversupplied market.  Why?  So Anika Guttenburg from Germany can give you a BOB in Echuca...
Yeah nah...

#10 Bono25

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

I reakon expelli would gladly swap one type crazy for the cuter kind 😄

#11 Expelliarmus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

Mostly I'm afraid of dogs ... this would be my nightmare!

But you go for it, honey, you do you in the crazy world of dogs and things.

*shudder*

Edited by Expelliarmus, 24 November 2019 - 01:47 PM.

#12 *Spikey*

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

Yep, totes crazy. I am looking forward to cute Christmas puppy pictures.

#13 Sharalanda

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:37 PM

Crazy but it’ll be worth it. I can’t wait to see photos!

#14 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:38 PM

View Postannodam, on 24 November 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Yes you are crazy, adding more dogs in an already oversupplied market.  Why?  So Anika Guttenburg from Germany can give you a BOB in Echuca...
Yeah nah...

There is no oversupply of well bred, well raised dogs. In fact there's a serious shortage of them.

My puppies go on to change peoples lives for the better, I've bred working therapy dogs, service dogs, companions for deaf children. One dog I bred has just been inducted into Ambulance Victoria as a peer support dog. Another is a search and rescue dog. None of the dogs I've bred have ever ended up in pounds or shelters and I know where each and every one of them are, even the ones who are overseas.

I'll never apologise for any of the dogs I breed, they ARE what people want to live with, own and work with.

#15 PatG

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:47 PM

Why do you need to deal with poo? Isn't that what the mother dog's do? I also don't get why they are work. Every dog I've ever known has looked after her puppies all on their own, in fact would generally be less than pleased if someone tried to "help". Now when they are 5+ weeks old, that's a different story.......

#16 kadoodle

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:51 PM

Two at once?! Yikes. Fingers crossed they don’t both go at once. Does this mean you’ve sorted out the numpties at the council?

#17 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

View PostPatG, on 24 November 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

Why do you need to deal with poo? Isn't that what the mother dog's do? I also don't get why they are work. Every dog I've ever known has looked after her puppies all on their own, in fact would generally be less than pleased if someone tried to "help". Now when they are 5+ weeks old, that's a different story.......

It's fairly easy up to about 4 weeks, and yes the mothers deal with the poo up until then. However, the whelping box needs changing daily as they wee and she doesn't deal with that and that bedding all needs to be washed and dried. The mums need food all the time and their water buckets replenished regularly with fresh water.

They eat around 10-12 cups of food a day and drink 10 litres or more of water. Then they need to be let outside and let back in.

The babies need to be weighed twice a day, any that aren't gaining weight get a helping hand, and that's 2 hourly around the clock.
I sleep in the same room as the puppies, although this time I'll have to divide myself between two bedrooms.

My girls are more than happy to let me help, I'm right there with them when they are giving birth, helping clean the pups and get them going, and making sure mum is warm and comfortable.

Once they start on solid food at about 3 weeks, the poo increases and mum loses interest and we get to clean it up. They are bigger, heavier, more active and much more messy.

We raise our puppies inside our home, when they are older they spend time outside during the day but they sleep in the house. Just that alone, carrying them in and out is a fair bit of work when you have a lot of puppies at once.

Handling the puppies from birth means they have a strong attachment to humans, are very, very used to the household noises and smells, and by 8 weeks of age when they're ready for their new home, they are confident and happy little things, ready for a new family.

#18 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 24 November 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Two at once?! Yikes. Fingers crossed they don’t both go at once. Does this mean you’ve sorted out the numpties at the council?

More or less. I've heard some positive news so I'm a lot more relaxed now.

I don't think they'll go at once. They both came into season on the same day but Charlotte was mated first, then Eden three days later so I think I'll have a bit of breathing space.

#19 kadoodle

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

Hopefully enough breathing space to cobble together a few hours sleep.

My foster puppies are very good at sitting on their puppy mat and pooing on the floor beside it. I’ve shut them in the bathroom so I can sweep and mop without their “help”, and they’re telling me off through the baby gate.

#20 annodam

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:13 PM

View PostFiveAus, on 24 November 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

I'll never apologise for any of the dogs I breed, they ARE what people want to live with, own and work with.

And this is the exact reason why there are an abundant amount of dogs in shelters & rescue groups fostering or actively looking for homes because all those people & breeders that breed dogs (such as yourself) don't apologise.
Always breeding for the next GC at the Royal.
But you know, who gives a rats about those other dogs yeah, just as long as we have a good supply of PB dogs out there for Conformation.
Give me a fkn break please!

#21 Lady Gray

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

View PostFiveAus, on 24 November 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

It's fairly easy up to about 4 weeks, and yes the mothers deal with the poo up until then.

I don’t want to google this but I assume this doesn’t mean she bags up the poo and chucks in the outside bin?!?!

#22 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

View Postannodam, on 24 November 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

And this is the exact reason why there are an abundant amount of dogs in shelters & rescue groups fostering or actively looking for homes because all those people & breeders that breed dogs (such as yourself) don't apologise.
Always breeding for the next GC at the Royal.
But you know, who gives a rats about those other dogs yeah, just as long as we have a good supply of PB dogs out there for Conformation.
Give me a fkn break please!

You know all those other dogs clogging up the pounds and shelters? Well, the people who bred them, who acquired them and then dumped them there need to be held responsible for them. They need to be microchipped at birth with the "breeders" details, and they need to be sent back to them when they are no longer wanted. Then they might pause and think about bringing another litter of staffy crosses, kelpie crosses, jack russell crosses, hunting hounds of questionable origins into the world.

View PostLady Gray, on 24 November 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

I don’t want to google this but I assume this doesn’t mean she bags up the poo and chucks in the outside bin?!?!

Put it this way, by about day 10 her breath really starts to smell bad.

#23 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:42 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 24 November 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

My foster puppies are very good at sitting on their puppy mat and pooing on the floor beside it. I’ve shut them in the bathroom so I can sweep and mop without their “help”, and they’re telling me off through the baby gate.

I'm yet to hear anyone who's raised a litter of puppies get to the eight week mark and say "Gee, that was easy, no work at all!"
I find it a lot of work from day one but it ramps up from about week 4. I love it though, and fortunately so does my husband.

#24 annodam

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

View PostFiveAus, on 24 November 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

You know all those other dogs clogging up the pounds and shelters? Well, the people who bred them, who acquired them and then dumped them there need to be held responsible for them. They need to be microchipped at birth with the "breeders" details, and they need to be sent back to them when they are no longer wanted. Then they might pause and think about bringing another litter of staffy crosses, kelpie crosses, jack russell crosses, hunting hounds of questionable origins into the world.

So?  But it makes it OK for you to breed more dogs?
Why not breed once every 3yrs?
Nah, you gotta breed 2 litters within a week of each other why?  Because Shows & people lining up to buy, it's that old supply & demand thing again..

#25 Oriental lily

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

Your contradicting yourself annodam . Your saying ond minute there is an oversupply then the next theres a high need due to demand. Yes there is a high need for well bred purebred health tested dogs . Not for backyard bred mutts poorly bred and raised that the pounds are full off . Direct your angst towards them . Not breeders doing the right thing that well informed puppy buyers want .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.