Tell me I'm not crazy! (Pet section)UPDATE: not the one I'd hoped to post.

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#26 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:30 PM

View Postannodam, on 24 November 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

So?  But it makes it OK for you to breed more dogs?
Why not breed once every 3yrs?
Nah, you gotta breed 2 litters within a week of each other why?  Because Shows & people lining up to buy, it's that old supply & demand thing again..

The people who buy my puppies wouldn't go and buy a dog from a shelter because that's not what they want. No they don't want show dogs, very few of my puppies are shown. They want well bred, well raised dogs with a known family history, with a stable temperament, with proven lineage. They want a dog that will look like the breed it's supposed to be for all of its life and they want a dog that matches the written blue print for the breed they desire.

They want dogs they can take out in public without drama, they want dogs that are safe around their children. They also want guarantees that particular health issues aren't going to crop up unexpectedly, and they want support from the person who brought the dog into the world.

They don't want the unknown, poor unfortunate dogs that end up in pounds and shelters and nothing on earth will convince them (or me) that they are a better fit for their family.

If I didn't have pedigree dogs and had no access to well bred pedigree dogs, I would ALSO not have a dog from a shelter or pound.

So me breeding two litters of puppies within a week isn't going to change the lives of any unwanted dogs. They would still be unwanted whether I bred puppies or not.

#27 Sharalanda

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

View PostFiveAus, on 24 November 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

The people who buy my puppies wouldn't go and buy a dog from a shelter because that's not what they want. No they don't want show dogs, very few of my puppies are shown. They want well bred, well raised dogs with a known family history, with a stable temperament, with proven lineage. They want a dog that will look like the breed it's supposed to be for all of its life and they want a dog that matches the written blue print for the breed they desire.

They want dogs they can take out in public without drama, they want dogs that are safe around their children. They also want guarantees that particular health issues aren't going to crop up unexpectedly, and they want support from the person who brought the dog into the world.

They don't want the unknown, poor unfortunate dogs that end up in pounds and shelters and nothing on earth will convince them (or me) that they are a better fit for their family.

If I didn't have pedigree dogs and had no access to well bred pedigree dogs, I would ALSO not have a dog from a shelter or pound.

So me breeding two litters of puppies within a week isn't going to change the lives of any unwanted dogs. They would still be unwanted whether I bred puppies or not.

These are exactly my reasons for going with a purebred dog. I actually do have a mixed breed rescue dog as well as a purebred. While our rescue boy is a lovely dog now it hasn’t always been that way.  He was hard work as a young dog and we were really restricted with what we could do with him for a long time. And we spent bucket loads of money on training, behavior management and all sorts of stuff.  We stuck with him as we didn’t want him to end up back in a shelter.
We will always go for a dog from a reputable breeder from now on.
Any anger needs to be directed towards people irresponsibly breeding dogs not breeders doing the right thing and upholding the high standards.

#28 annodam

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

I already know Show people are cray, cray & will say anything in order to justify their breeding hobby...

#29 lozoodle

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

Yeah you're batsh*t crazy BUT we will all delight in the gorgeous puppy photos coming our way in a few weeks :D

#30 kadoodle

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

Send your vent to the people I end up mopping up after, annodam. You’re welcome to kneecap them, too, if you feel so inclined.

#31 bubskitkat

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:31 PM

Thanks ladies for all your posts explaining to us all why we should only purchase our pets through recommended and registered breeders. As well as why it’s important to ensure that our pets are registered, neutered and microchipped.

#32 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:59 PM

View Postannodam, on 24 November 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

I already know Show people are cray, cray & will say anything in order to justify their breeding hobby...

I hope your nose isn't bleeding all the way up there on your high horse?

#33 FiveAus

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

There are a few EB people who know me in person, a couple of them know me very well and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't agree with your assessment.

#34 Lallalla

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:03 PM

People often look at me as though I am crazy, or outright tell me I am, when out with my 3 small children and 2 border collies (1 of whom is a puppy). I always stay quiet about the cats and rabbits at home. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Just cross your fingers you don’t get an unusually large litter. One of my dogs came from a litter of 14, so they needed hand rearing (I think they were mix fed on rotation), and she’d bred 2 dogs at once so actually had 20 puppies in the house. Looked a bit haunted when we picked our pup up, said never again. I’m glad she did though as we got the very last pup available. He tail has a kink in it and shorter than standard so no one chose her.

She is the best dog you could ask for.

#35 kadoodle

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

20 puppies! Holy moly, that’s amazing.

#36 Lou-bags

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:19 AM

Your dogs are purebred Basenjis are they not?

#37 FiveAus

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:34 AM

View PostLallalla, on 24 November 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

People often look at me as though I am crazy, or outright tell me I am, when out with my 3 small children and 2 border collies (1 of whom is a puppy). I always stay quiet about the cats and rabbits at home. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Just cross your fingers you don’t get an unusually large litter. One of my dogs came from a litter of 14, so they needed hand rearing (I think they were mix fed on rotation), and she’d bred 2 dogs at once so actually had 20 puppies in the house. Looked a bit haunted when we picked our pup up, said never again. I’m glad she did though as we got the very last pup available. He tail has a kink in it and shorter than standard so no one chose her.

She is the best dog you could ask for.

We had 14 in two litters born 3 days apart. The biggest litter I've had was 10 and I don't expect these girls will have 10 each. Charlotte is fairly small and at 5 1/2 weeks doesn't have much of a belly so maybe 5 or 6 for her. Eden had 6 in her last litter.
I'm really lucky that my husband pitches in and does a lot of the work with me. I've got friends who are breeders who get 100% of the work because their husbands don't help at all and consider it the wifes hobby, therefore her responsibility.
Fortunately my husband doesn't see it that way and he's adept at cleaning poo, washing floors, bathing puppies, sorting out bottles and mushy food for them.

#38 FiveAus

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:47 AM

Dog show people might be crazy but I've also found them to be amongst the kindest, most generous people I know, and will go out of their way to help someone they barely know or have never even met.

When I broke down in my car on the Hume freeway and had to leave my car to be repaired by a mechanic five hours from home, it was a dog show person who drove me there to collect my car when it was ready weeks later.

When I've had puppies struggling to stay alive, it's dog show people who sit through the night with me, on the other end of the phone, giving me support. Or drive for hours to take over tube feeding through the night so I can get some sleep.

When a breeder in NSW lost her home to the bushfires a few weeks ago, it was dog show people who raised over $20,000 for her to see to her immediate needs. And that was raised in just a few days.

When another dog breeder had to be evacuated with her dogs, and was found sleeping in a gazebo in a park, it was dog show people who took her some portable pens so her dogs could stretch their legs, food, and other things so she'd be more comfortable. Then kept a close eye on her and saw to her needs until she could safely go home.

It was a dog show person who gave a young cancer survivor a beautiful pedigree puppy when she expressed a desire to show a dog.

And it was the dog show community in NSW who welcomed and cheered on a little girl who was in the end stages of cancer but wanted to exhibit her beautiful pet corgi at a show. Not a dry eye anywhere that day.

So yeah, they might be crazy but it's a community in which people are there for each other and I'm very happy to be part of it.

#39 annodam

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:53 AM

Yeah & it was a Dog Show Breeder/person who tried to threaten me with Court Action too!

Edited by Sandra, 25 November 2019 - 08:08 AM.
To remove swearing and unneeded comment

#40 FiveAus

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:57 AM

View Postannodam, on 25 November 2019 - 05:53 AM, said:

Yeah & it was a Dog Show Breeder/person who tried to threaten me with Court Action too!

You're actually starting to sound like the crazy person here.

Edited by Sandra, 25 November 2019 - 08:09 AM.
Remove quoted edited portion

#41 annodam

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:14 AM

With all due respect, I wasn’t the one threatening & sending letters to a family with a 3yo toddler (at the time) Court Action & yelling obscenities outside my house at 10:00pm.

#42 FiveAus

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:18 AM

View Postannodam, on 25 November 2019 - 06:14 AM, said:

With all due respect, I wasn’t the one threatening & sending letters to a family with a 3yo toddler (at the time) Court Action & yelling obscenities outside my house at 10:00pm.

Neither was I.

#43 Mose

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:40 AM

View Postannodam, on 25 November 2019 - 06:14 AM, said:

They did this because they were dog showers? Or for some other reason?
Although that sounds like a terrifying experience, all it tells me is some people are crazy, dog showers or not?

What is the right word for a person who shows dogs,? What I write looks like an alternative to a dog bath.

#44 annodam

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:53 AM

No, but it was the Breeder ilk encouraging & egging him on only to end up getting stooged.

I didn’t know 20yrs ago when I bought my first PB B that this is the type of people you all are.  If I had’ve known, I would’ve gone to a rescue or a shelter, it would’ve saved a lot of heart ache.

I will always defend ethical Breeders over BYB of course, as I have done many times on here but personally, I will never buy from a Breeder again, a PB rescue yes 100%.
I have learnt from my mistakes & actively tell people to be very careful dealing with Breeders.
I don’t like being told you must sign a worthless contract which doesn’t stand up in Court or desex at 6mo, feed your dog this food etc., (these are just a couple examples) I have bought the dog, it’s mine to desex when I want & feed what ever the hell I want!

Not that I agree with it but I can see & totally understand why buyers opt to purchase a pup from a BYB, less hassles.

Plus, I don’t like it when Breeders even ethical, responsible ones breed multiple litters year after year, it’s not right.

#45 FiveAus

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:18 AM

View PostMose, on 25 November 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:

They did this because they were dog showers? Or for some other reason?
Although that sounds like a terrifying experience, all it tells me is some people are crazy, dog showers or not?

What is the right word for a person who shows dogs,? What I write looks like an alternative to a dog bath.

An exhibitor.

#46 FiveAus

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:26 AM

View Postannodam, on 25 November 2019 - 06:53 AM, said:

No, but it was the Breeder ilk encouraging & egging him on only to end up getting stooged.

I didn’t know 20yrs ago when I bought my first PB B that this is the type of people you all are.  If I had’ve known, I would’ve gone to a rescue or a shelter, it would’ve saved a lot of heart ache.

I will always defend ethical Breeders over BYB of course, as I have done many times on here but personally, I will never buy from a Breeder again, a PB rescue yes 100%.
I have learnt from my mistakes & actively tell people to be very careful dealing with Breeders.
I don’t like being told you must sign a worthless contract which doesn’t stand up in Court or desex at 6mo, feed your dog this food etc., (these are just a couple examples) I have bought the dog, it’s mine to desex when I want & feed what ever the hell I want!

Not that I agree with it but I can see & totally understand why buyers opt to purchase a pup from a BYB, less hassles.

Plus, I don’t like it when Breeders even ethical, responsible ones breed multiple litters year after year, it’s not right.

So let me guess. You bought a dog and signed a contract, then broke the contract? And the breeder wasn't happy?
Why sign the contract in the first place? So you could get the dog you wanted?

I don't have contracts on my puppies and I don't involve pet people in my breeding program.
However if I had a contract in place with someone who had one of my dogs, I would firstly, make sure it would stand up in court, and secondly, I'd go to court to defend it.
There is no point having a contract otherwise.

The contracts are usually put in place to protect years of breeding decisions, to keep good dogs in breeding programs.

So tell me, where are people to get well bred dogs from if breeders breed once every three years? Pounds and shelters? That supports the very people who should not be breeding at all. The ones who are breeding crossbred mutts that end up on Gumtree, free to any old home because no one wants them.
Or maybe they can get their puppies from commercial puppy farms who pump out umpteen dozen litters of crossbred poodles each month and sell them for exorbitant prices, far more than most registered breeders charge for their well bred, well raised, pedigree puppies.

I'll keep happily breeding my 2 or 3 litters a year knowing I am providing great dogs for families and knowing I have the means to provide the support they often want.

#47 Mose

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:34 AM

View PostFiveAus, on 25 November 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

An exhibitor.

Excellent. That has a much better ring to it!!

#48 Sandra

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:11 AM

Morning ladies

I have carried out some editing in this topic and can I suggest that stepping away is often better than posting comments that attacks.  
Lets focus on the  OP topic   :)

Regards

#49 annodam

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:51 AM

Please point me into the direction of this thread where I stated I signed such a contract?
I would never sign any document relating to dog ownership!
I’m not an idiot like some other buyers that sign worthless pieces of paper stipulating what one can & cannot do!

Those above were just examples.

#50 Sandra

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:59 AM

Ladies

I have asked everyone to move on and get back to to  OP topic, please do so.

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.