Which switch game should we get?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:08 AM

Ds is getting a switch for Christmas. I know he’s excited about the Pokémon sword and shield thing but that is two games, and I don’t really want to spend $150 on top of the cost of the unit itself right now. I could see that as his birthday present in February though.

So which game is likely to lead to most Christmas and after joy for a 9 year old boy, who spends his time playing roblox and Minecraft?

I know you can get Minecraft for it, but I don’t want to do that.

Any recommendations?

#2 RocktonResident

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:37 AM

You can get Pokemon Sword and Shield separately, so get one for Christmas and one for his Birthday?

Otherwise, games my 11 year old loves-
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Minecraft
Super Mario Odyssey
Harry Potter Lego game

He's getting Pokemon Shield for Christmas, so I can't comment on what that's like yet.

#3 BungyBaby

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

Don't get Sword and Shield as it is the exact same game with only a few characters different between them. Anything in the Lego or Mario series usually go down well with our almost 9 year old who is obsessed with Minecraft. Mario Odyssey is a good game, about a year old now and can be picked up for $60 odd.

#4 Drat

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:42 AM

I have minecraft on every console :)

We've got
- just dance
- mario odyssey
- yoshi crafted world (this is fantastic!!)
- mario kart
- mario party

These are all really great fun.

#5 Apple14

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:49 AM

Mario kart and super smash bro’s are the favs in this house with our boys. Although they’ve started with minecraft again. The Pokémon ones seem to be super exciting and then forgotten very quickly.

#6 Riotproof

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:40 PM

I’m thinking one of the Mario ones might be the ticket. Thanks

#7 Crombek

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:52 PM

Harry Potter LEGO is on constant play here for 2 boys. They’ve barely even looked at mario kart. I’m thinking of just dance next.

#8 Riotproof

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

I would love that, but ds doesn’t like Harry Potter at all.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

I would love that, but ds doesn’t like Harry Potter at all.

#10 Meepy

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:52 PM

Untitled goose game is good but quite short.

#11 Ellie bean

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

I don’t play but the kids and DH tell me super smash bros is the general fave here

#12 Etcetera

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

There are tons of lego games - Jurassic World one is awesome! We have several superhero ones which are great too.

#13 AdelTwins

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:45 PM

Zelda BOTW is a huge open world like Minecraft.

https://www.commonse...th-of-the-wild/

#14 rickon

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

Splatoon is fun but very addictive.  It's an online paintball game with squid people as characters. You need to pay a monthly subscription of about $11? I think.

Edited by rickon, 29 November 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#15 Drat

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostMeepy, on 25 November 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

Untitled goose game is good but quite short.

This game is hilarious. I spent the whole time laughing hysterically..

#16 Abcde-La-A

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

My son, who also loves Roblox and Minecraft, really loves Super Mario Maker - in which you make your own Mario levels.

#17 Riotproof

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:04 PM

Is that fun even without the online membership thingie?

#18 Flutters

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:10 PM

I’m insanely excited that they’ve just released bubble bobble for the switch. It’s the old one and a new one too. Counting down the days until I get it for my birthday.

#19 Abcde-La-A

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 29 November 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

Is that fun even without the online membership thingie?
Erm... I confess an embarrassingly high level of ignorance. Will check with DS/DH in the morning, I don’t know the details!

#20 Riotproof

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:28 PM

View PostAbcde-La-A, on 29 November 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

Erm... I confess an embarrassingly high level of ignorance. Will check with DS/DH in the morning, I don’t know the details!

You can upload your creations, download other peoples etc.

I have watched a lot of videos reviews etc.

#21 Greatmum

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:54 PM

Mariocart

#22 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:06 PM

My girls love any of the Mario games or Zelda.

I think BOTW is M rated because of some violence but I let my almost 9yo play it with supervision and she loved it. We didn't get heaps far into it so I cant guarantee it doesn't get more violent but what we played wasn't really.

Theres a current new Zelda aimed at kids could be worth looking into.

Splatoon is awesome and you can play as an adventure game without the online but I think you cant do battles without it.

I don't think you could go wrong with mariokart

Theres also pokemon lets go but I don't know how different they are to sword or shield. We have the demo which they like.

I may have just bought Fifa20 for myself in the sales ;)

#23 Bottom

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:27 AM

Pokémon sword is excellent and such a long game plus lots of post game activities on it. Good value compared to most games. You just get sword or shield, not both.

#24 Riotproof

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:01 AM

I am so sick of thinking about this.

So, I have landed on Odyssey and super bros deluxe. Thank you do much for your help.

There is also a puzzle game called Snipperclips which I thought looked like a lot of fun especially for family cooperation games.

View PostBottom, on 30 November 2019 - 12:27 AM, said:

Pokémon sword is excellent and such a long game plus lots of post game activities on it. Good value compared to most games. You just get sword or shield, not both.

I think I will let him pick which for his birthday in feb. by then he will know he has one and can be watching all these reviews himself.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.