Jump to content

Xmas Cooking


  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 cstar

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

I thought we could have a thread with ideas for Xmas baking/cooking for Xmas.

I am making this pav  https://www.recipeti...-meringue-tart/  for Xmas Day to take to friends, hoping i don't make a mess of it and can transport it okay, I'll assemble everything at their house.

I don't think I'll need to make anything on Xmas Day (woo hoo)


Look forward to seeing what others will be cooking.

#2 Etcetera

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

Wow that looks delicious and so impressive!

It's just me, DH and the kids.
I usually do a pavlova, mince pies, pistachio and cranberry shortbread and pudding with custard.

New oven gets installed tomorrow so it should all be much easier to make now instead of being stuck with a 30+ year old thing!

#3 cstar

Posted 25 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

Oh a new oven sounds fabulous, mine is about 17 years old, it's still great, but the new ovens out there look so much better.  My washing machine died on the weekend so hopefully the oven will die soon too so i can go shopping for a new one.

The pav should be easy to make, much easier than traditional, well for me anyway.

Pistachio and cranberry shortbread sounds delicious.

#4 Catzilla

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

I was only planning on doing my first ever Christmas cake, fruit mince pies, and some cranberry and white chocolate biscotti.  Maybe some gingerbread men for my 5 year old DD too - I haven't set that in stone yet.

#5 cstar

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

I forgot all about my xmas fruit cake, I better put that in my calender!   Mine is a really easy one I got from a friend years ago.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

Rum balls for the grown ups, gingerbread men for the kids.

I've outsourced both the pav & plum pudding.

#7 Inkogneatoh

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

This year I'm starting with 2 fruit cakes, when I remember and can find the cheap fruit. One for me, one for my Aunt. I'm also going to do a bunch of slices for her present, so that's technically Christmas cooking. I'm also making about 2 dozen stuffed eggs, and planning on making the potato salad and coleslaw.

I'm also considering rum balls, apricot balls and some sort of truffle thing. Not sure, I'll see how I'm feeling closer to the date. Same goes for the chocolates I was planning. Same with the gingerbread (freestanding house or house shaped biscuits).

Like others, I outsource my Pav (normally Woolies), and the caramel tart (top and fill in a premade shell). I do whip the cream myself though.

#8 Bauble Dinkleberry

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

Shortbread and Mango Relish as gifts. Nigella's lemongrass and raspberry trifle for Dec 25.

DD1 can make a pavlova, as that is her preference.

Maple syrup glazed ham
https://www.taste.co...22-9fba1d796682

Then Xmas with the in laws I will do Bill granger's cherry tart as it travels well.

Yum!

ETA, a gingerbread house if I find the time this year x

Edited by jensta, 25 November 2019 - 02:45 PM.


#9 cstar

Posted 25 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

 jensta, on 25 November 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

Shortbread and Mango Relish as gifts. Nigella's lemongrass and raspberry trifle for Dec 25.

DD1 can make a pavlova, as that is her preference.

Maple syrup glazed ham
https://www.taste.co...22-9fba1d796682

Then Xmas with the in laws I will do Bill granger's cherry tart as it travels well.

Yum!

ETA, a gingerbread house if I find the time this year x


Is this the tart you’re talking about

https://vintagekitch...sh-cherry-tart/

#10 Bauble Dinkleberry

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

 cstar, on 25 November 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

Is this the tart you’re talking about

https://vintagekitch...sh-cherry-tart/

Yes, I make it every year and there is never left overs!

#11 cstar

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

Mmmm I’m going to have to make this. Thanks

#12 Bauble Dinkleberry

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:33 AM

You won't regret it cstar, really simple and not too sweet.

#13 raspberry sherbert

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

I am making no bake slices - probably clinker, malteaser and something peppermint, some type of fudge and I am going to attempt a fruit cake for the first time. I have my Grandma's recipe that has tinned pineapple in it. Does anyone know if I can make it now or is it better fresh?

#14 Lunafreya

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

Going to make a rainbow themed trifle this year with fruit, custard, jelly and macarons. My salt and vinegar chorizo potato salad, green salad, peach halves with cranberry sauce.

Unsure about the meat.  Maybe a small ham, cold.

#15 PrincessPeach

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

 raspberry sherbert, on 26 November 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

I am making no bake slices - probably clinker, malteaser and something peppermint, some type of fudge and I am going to attempt a fruit cake for the first time. I have my Grandma's recipe that has tinned pineapple in it. Does anyone know if I can make it now or is it better fresh?

If it has alcohol in it, the earlier you make it the better. Mum normally makes her's in August, then they are wrapped in several layers of glad wrap & foil & stashed in tupperware containers to be distributed. Very nice by christmas day.

ETA: my MIL freezes her plum puddings as they have no alcohol in them at all.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 26 November 2019 - 02:34 PM.


#16 boatiebabe

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:51 PM

 cstar, on 25 November 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

Oh a new oven sounds fabulous, mine is about 17 years old, it's still great, but the new ovens out there look so much better.  My washing machine died on the weekend so hopefully the oven will die soon too so i can go shopping for a new one.

The pav should be easy to make, much easier than traditional, well for me anyway.

Pistachio and cranberry shortbread sounds delicious.

Careful...it might go on you on Xmas morning!

My major appliances always decide to die at the worst possible time.

#17 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

I'll make a gingerbread house of some kind. This year I'm pretty sure I've bitten off more than I can chew, I'm making an iconic Church and Bridge from the town my Grandmother lives in. e shall see how it goes.

Otherwise, I'll probably just take a salad or two for a group lunch. I won't be allowed to provide anything else, which is both good and bad. Good because I won't be able to do too much, bad because I like making things.

Maybe I'll offer to do dessert and I'll make that cherry tart too...

#18 cstar

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

 Lunafreya, on 26 November 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

Going to make a rainbow themed trifle this year with fruit, custard, jelly and macarons. My salt and vinegar chorizo potato salad, green salad, peach halves with cranberry sauce.

Unsure about the meat.  Maybe a small ham, cold.

Your potato salad sounds great, do you have a recipe by any chance you could share?

#19 Inkogneatoh

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

 raspberry sherbert, on 26 November 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

I am making no bake slices - probably clinker, malteaser and something peppermint, some type of fudge and I am going to attempt a fruit cake for the first time. I have my Grandma's recipe that has tinned pineapple in it. Does anyone know if I can make it now or is it better fresh?

My fruit cake (Dad's Mum's recipe) is a boiled fruit cake, with alcohol, and matures best in the freezer, especially if I remember to make it in September or October. Otherwise I make it a week out, and after 48 or so hours in the tin, wrapped in foil and a large towel to cool, it's iced in fondant, and left in the cake carrier (so not airtight). This year I'm making them "late" so they can be cut before freezing.

My other grandmother had a pineapple fruit cake recipe that Mum never got. In Mum;s opinion it was the second best recipe going, after the one I use. I think the process was the same. Made months in advance (so it was on hand for anytime) and frozen, or made just before and eaten "fresh".

#20 Lunafreya

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

 cstar, on 26 November 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

Your potato salad sounds great, do you have a recipe by any chance you could share?

Um.. I just sort of wing it. I use a kilo of potatoes, diced, and then add half a cup of white vinegar and a good amount of salt to the water when I boil the potatoes. I also have cubed cheese, spring onion and diced chorizo, gently browned.

If you make it without the mayonnaise it can be made several days ahead.

#21 raspberry sherbert

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:43 PM

 Inkogneatoh, on 26 November 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

My fruit cake (Dad's Mum's recipe) is a boiled fruit cake, with alcohol, and matures best in the freezer, especially if I remember to make it in September or October. Otherwise I make it a week out, and after 48 or so hours in the tin, wrapped in foil and a large towel to cool, it's iced in fondant, and left in the cake carrier (so not airtight). This year I'm making them "late" so they can be cut before freezing.

My other grandmother had a pineapple fruit cake recipe that Mum never got. In Mum;s opinion it was the second best recipe going, after the one I use. I think the process was the same. Made months in advance (so it was on hand for anytime) and frozen, or made just before and eaten "fresh".

The pineapple one sounds like the recipe I have, no alcohol in it.

#22 Luci

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:51 PM

 boatiebabe, on 26 November 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Careful...it might go on you on Xmas morning!

My major appliances always decide to die at the worst possible time.

Our oven stopped working one Christmas morning when I was a little kid. Mum had planned to put the turkey on before we left for church only to discover the oven wouldn't heat up. We went off to church leaving Dad in charge of fixing the oven. Mum is deeply religious and made my sister and I pray that God would help get the oven going.

I can still remember getting home, walking into the kitchen and smelling the turkey cooking, so we knew the oven was up and running again. Not sure if it was Dad or God :xmas_blink:

#23 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

Chocolate tart is a must have.  A gingerbread house, shortbread, and if I am feeling generous a pavolova.

Real food hasn't being decided upon yet

#24 pinkandgold

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:28 PM

Any suggestions for a time-poor single mum who is also not a great cook?

I want to give DS something special and different for Christmas since he normally has to put up with my sub-par meals :p

The oven is also on the fritz, but do have a slow cooker and stove top.

#25 Inkogneatoh

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:29 PM

 pinkandgold, on 02 December 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

Any suggestions for a time-poor single mum who is also not a great cook?

I want to give DS something special and different for Christmas since he normally has to put up with my sub-par meals :p

The oven is also on the fritz, but do have a slow cooker and stove top.
What about something like a frozen plum pudding?

Mine involves a 2lt tub of choc chip ice cream (or vanilla and a packet of choc chips), a packet of jelly made with 1/2 the water and mashed with a fork, and a cup of dried fruit soaked in rum. You may wish to swap the rum for something non alcoholic. It could be scaled down, as all you do is soften the ice cream, mix it all together and re-freeze. When I can be bothered I will coat a muffin tin with chocolate, and use that for individual ones.

Or depending on your son's age, what about adding a fancy mocktail or punch?

Our menu is always cold meat (no seafood due to an allergy), various salads, stuffed eggs and jellied beetroot, so nothing overly special (except maybe the beetroot). The beetroot is a layer of equal parts cream cheese with mayo and a little gelatin, over a tin of beetroot that has the juices set with gelatin. It's better than it sounds, looks great on the table, and is tradition. Yes, as a child, my grandmother made it in a circular Tupperware jelly mold, and it confused many a first timer ("No sweetie, you can't have that yet, it's dessert").

We go all out on the desserts, but I'm a lazy cook. My pavlova comes from a box, the caramel tart comes from a premade shell and a tin, and the trifle can be purchased as well (plain sponge, tinned or frozen fruit, custard), with only the jelly requiring any input. The only other regular item is a no bake cheesecake. Last year as a treat, I bought some brandy baskets in the post Christmas cheap stack., that were surprisingly great as well. Just filled with cream and fresh berries.

As mentioned above, I always whip the cream. That way I can always say I did make part of it, even if the majority was just assembling the bought parts.

For something savoury, what about going overboard on a nibbles plate. A couple of cheeses, some meats, a dip or two and a couple of types of biscuits. Again, no cook unless you decide to make the dip. Or fry some thickish slices of ham like bacon and have with some eggs.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.