Manual or Automatic Licence?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 MooGuru

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:12 AM

View PostDemera, on 26 November 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

I should mention from my own observation, I think learning to drive a manual does affect your driving skill.  I had an ex who learned to drive in an auto, and his driving was terrible, especially around braking late and braking while turning. I taught him to drive a manual and it made a big difference to how he approached an intersection as he had to assess his speed and select a gear before making the turn.  He became a much safer driver due to that awareness.

This is something we've spoken about a lot over the years that almost every auto only driver we know drives similarly (all would argue they are incredibly safe and good drivers). It's like there's just an element of learning that is missed because it isn't needed.
DH's driving also improved dramatically on that front after getting a manual. He didn't think there was a difference in his driving but as a passenger, there was a marked difference.

#77 katei

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

I have a manual and DH an auto. DS1 - our first driving - has a manual licence and prefers driving a manual (he bought a manual car).

#78 Amica

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:14 AM

I've had my license 25 years. I spent a fortune on manual lessons. Everyone said to get a manual license, and that I would need it one day - the old 'car at work', or 'transporting a sick relative in their car' cliches.

The last time I drove a manual car was the day I got my license and not once have I EVER needed to drive one.

I will be encouraging my kids to stick with auto.

Edited by AliasMater, 30 November 2019 - 09:22 AM.

#79 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:18 AM

View PostDadto2, on 27 November 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

I probably prefer a manual, but the semi-auto gearboxes you get in VWs and Audis are pretty amazing, especially with the gear paddles on the steering wheel and DSG gearbox.

The only "automatics" I really like are the ones with DSG. We had a BMW for a little while, I loved that aspect of it.

#80 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:07 AM

View PostBrumby Jack, on 25 November 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

My DD has just got her learner’s permit and we are currently trying to decide whether she should aim to get a manual or automatic licence. We don’t have regular access to a driving school due to living a long way from any big towns that have these, and our family only owns automatic cars. So most of her driving practice will be in these. We will possibly try to organise some lessons from a driving school when we are on holidays over Christmas, but I don’t know whether to book her in for lessons in a manual car or just stick to automatic. If she were to go for a manual licence, we may be able to see if we could possibly borrow a car from someone for her to practice in and do her driving test. But I’m wondering whether it is worth it? What sort of licence are your teens getting? Is a manual licence really necessary considering most newer cars are automatic these days?

I have one on P's (auto) and one on L's (auto) The P Plater started on manual (the only one in friends group) but changed after a few weeks.

DH wants them on auto, all cars will be auto before we know it.

#81 Sentient Puddle

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:52 AM

View PostAliasMater, on 30 November 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

I've had my license 25 years. I spent a fortune on manual lessons. Everyone said to get a manual license, and that I would need it one day - the old 'car at work', or 'transporting a sick relative in their car' cliches.

The last time I drove a manual car was the day I got my license and not once have I EVER needed to drive one.

I will be encouraging my kids to stick with auto.

This, I got my license in the late 80s and there was no difference in manual or automatic licenses.  I learnt in a manual but bought my first car off my sister that was automatic.  Never ever needed that skill since despite driving work vehicles often including mini buses. When purchasing a car 6 months ago most vehicles we looked at didn't even have the option to purchase a manual. I think an advanced driving course is more important to pay for than a manual license.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.