Senan

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 kerilyntaryn

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:43 PM

I think most people would pronounce is see -  nan

if people saw seanan they would pronounce it shawn-an.  I think most people from hearing it would spell it sennan

#27 McG2013

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:52 PM

View PostImaginary friend, on 27 November 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

I am not sure how people are seeing semen in Senan .. seems less  close in letters or sound to semen than Simon does - and Simon is long standing name many people have, and I've never associated it with semen.

I have not heard of the name Senan - my first pronounciation thought would be Senn-an, sort of like seven.
Rhyming with Brennan.

If it is pronounced Shawn-an then I would spell it Seanan - as I think most people are familiar with Sean and would then get Seanan right from that.

Although I would just use Sean myself - but I realise that isn't the question.

Ah thank you! Couldn't see it myself either and senan rhyming with brennan is correct. There's no fadas or anything in the name so wasn't sure where people were getting Shawn-an from either.

Just to add, I'm living in Ireland years now so yes I'm very sure on how to spell and say the name lol

Edited by McG2013, 27 November 2019 - 10:52 PM.

#28 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:32 PM

View PostImaginary friend, on 27 November 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

I am not sure how people are seeing semen in Senan .. seems less  close in letters or sound to semen than Simon does - and Simon is long standing name many people have, and I've never associated it with semen.

I have not heard of the name Senan - my first pronounciation thought would be Senn-an, sort of like seven.
Rhyming with Brennan.

If it is pronounced Shawn-an then I would spell it Seanan - as I think most people are familiar with Sean and would then get Seanan right from that.

Although I would just use Sean myself - but I realise that isn't the question.

Same for me.

I'm English but familiar enough that I can usually pick Irish or Welsh names. I'm never game to attempt pronunciation though.

I like it. I don't find it any more unusual than many names.

#29 MooGuru

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:53 PM

Living in Ireland changes things a bit in terms of it being misread but I also initially read it as Sean. Then was like that wasn't right and read semen. Then was like that's really not right and read it correctly.
I hesitantly guessed correct pronunciation

Edited for clarity

Edited by MooGuru, 27 November 2019 - 11:54 PM.

#30 majirlo

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:25 AM

Haven't seen it before but I would assume it was pronounced See-nen and in Australia I think kids would easily make the connection to semen at some point. Living in Ireland with their different pronunciations makes a huge difference so it wouldn't be a problem over there.

Edited by majirlo, 28 November 2019 - 05:34 AM.

#31 Gudrun

Posted 28 November 2019 - 06:22 AM

seven, tenet, Senan...

#32 majirlo

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

View PostGudrun, on 28 November 2019 - 06:22 AM, said:

seven, tenet, Senan...

But unfortunately at first glance it looks like Semen.

#33 Amica

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

I think that it sounds a bit like Shannon with a lisp. real name or not, I can imagine it always being a problematic in this country.

#34 McG2013

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:20 AM

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that a celeb comes up named Senan so people know the name like what happened with Saoirse Ronan lol.

#35 Anon wife

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

I saw semen too eeekkk, don't think I could use that spelling

#36 Ollie83

Posted 28 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

Funnily enough I saw Senan pop up in another group, twice in two days. The lady was Irish and it’s her brother with the name. I asked her how she said it and it was Sen-in.

I personally don’t get the seman connection either. It’s a special name to you both with special meaning, you are never going to please everyone with a name. Once he’s here and people fall in love with him it’ll just be his name. I came across Oishin (spelling?) in childcare at first it took a bit to get used to but I love it now.

#37 Imaginary friend

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:51 PM

Do all these  people see semen in Simon??
I've known many Simon's and none had any semen connections despite that sounding much more like semen than Senan does.

I don't see Senan as any more problematic than other names - people not knowing anything about it would guess pronunciation from English phonetics and either correctly get Senn-an or get close with See-nan - easily corrected and understood, just like any other name that looks more or less how it sounds

#38 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:17 PM

No because Simon has a different sound. I read Senan as see - nen hence semen. It doesn’t matter how many times I read it’s not pronounced like that every time it pops up again I rhyme it with semen.

I can’t even get to it rhyming with seven.

I am not sure why it bothers you so much that people are seeing semen, at least the OP is aware it could present an issue but maybe she still loves it anyway, all cool.

I don’t think it hurts to be aware of issues that could arise from a name.

#39 Ellie bean

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

Edited by Ellie bean, 29 November 2019 - 01:14 AM.

#40 Imaginary friend

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:18 AM

View Post~J_F~, on 28 November 2019 - 11:17 PM, said:

No because Simon has a different sound. I read Senan as see - nen hence semen. It doesn’t matter how many times I read it’s not pronounced like that every time it pops up again I rhyme it with semen.

I can’t even get to it rhyming with seven.

I am not sure why it bothers you so much that people are seeing semen, at least the OP is aware it could present an issue but maybe she still loves it anyway, all cool.

I don’t think it hurts to be aware of issues that could arise from a name.

No it doesn't 'bother me so much' and not sure why you are interpreting my post that way.

I didn't say it rhymes with seven, but it is said like seven with n in middle instead of v.
Or rhyming with Brennan.

I think people sometimes read posts and then see something the first person saw after reading their post.

Rather than there really being much of a potential issue in real life.
Hence my comparison to Simon, a name most people would be familiar and know people with in real life.

You can find an issue that could arise in just about every name if you look for one or somebody else suggested one.

#41 Romeo Void

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

I see Semen, sorry OP.

#42 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

The reason a interpreted your posts as it bothering you is because you made two posts asking pretty much the same thing, it’s seemed it was bothering you that people were suggesting semen.

I seen semen before I even opened the thread, I did a double take and was like what the hell is this thread going to be about :lol:

#43 Gudrun

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:04 AM

Team Imaginary friend.  

#44 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

I see Senna and it reminds me of laxatives.

It's a no from me

#45 Imaginary friend

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:48 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 29 November 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

The reason a interpreted your posts as it bothering you is because you made two posts asking pretty much the same thing, it’s seemed it was bothering you that people were suggesting semen.

I seen semen before I even opened the thread, I did a double take and was like what the hell is this thread going to be about :lol:

Well, no, my posts said different things following on from what other people said.

Now I am saying I love the name Sienna ( not the name in question, I know but very close in lettters and sound to senna ) -  and it's never made me think of laxatives, despite being a nurse and very familiar  with the popular laxative coloxyl and  senna.

Same thing - if you look for a connection  with any name you can find one to something.

#46 MooGuru

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

Isn't there something about most people read the first two and last letter of a word only and the brain fills in the gap?

Edited by MooGuru, 29 November 2019 - 04:32 PM.

#47 kerilyntaryn

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:38 PM

If you like it, use it, I more I see it, I like it

#48 AprilEthereal

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:25 PM

I know a boy named Senan and his dad is Irish. DS went to playgroup and kinder with him. Not a made up name.

#49 kerilyntaryn

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:02 AM

Did you go with Senan or choose something else?

#50 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:06 AM

View PostMooGuru, on 29 November 2019 - 04:31 PM, said:

Isn't there something about most people read the first two and last letter of a word only and the brain fills in the gap?

I came in from the “we are discussing” expecting to see a thread about TTC and AR issues not a name thread, so shows you what my brain interpreted the name too.

No intention to try and pick holes in a name, just surprise at what the thread ended up being about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.