Very large 3 month old

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Googling

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

My DS was 3.8kg when born and has put on a huge amount of weight since then. He is now 14 weeks and off the charts in all dimensions.  He is 9.1kg, 70cm in length and 44cm head circumference. He is EBF and feeds about every 3 hours. I have asked the GP and health nurses whether there is a problem with him growing so quickly and they have all told me that you can’t overfeed a breastfed baby. I saw a paediatrician this morning about an unrelated issue and asked about his size. The doctor said DS has no indicators of any type of syndrome that could cause rapid growth but that some EBF babies may get too much. He said I could think about trying to space out feeds more. He also warned not to give too much solids when I start him on solids.  He basically wants his growth rate to slow, I think. Has anyone else had such a large baby and were you given advice to alter feeding etc?

#2 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

the most current information we have is that how frequently a baby feeds is actually based on the mums breast capacity- not size but how long the breasts hold milk. We also know that from 4weeks to 6months babies take the same volume of milk in a 24hr period- so cutting down May impact your babies development as they won’t be getting enough milk.

Cutting down feeds may reduce your supply.

Both my boys were huge before 6 months and then grew into the chub and barely put on weight in the second half of their first year. Think 10.5kg at 6 months and 12kg at 12 months.
Attempting to stretch out feeds sounds really hard and unnecessary.

#3 rowd

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

My baby wasn't quite that weight, but he started about 50th centile, then skyrocketed up to 90th+ by 3 months old. I was a little worried to be honest, but everyone said the same thing - you can't overfeed a BF baby. Anyway, he then slowed right down once he got mobile, and now he's back to totally average. He eats a huge amount, but I definitely don't restrict it. I'm not sure about that advice - perhaps seek more information about that from a medical professional.

#4 Apageintime

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

My son was the same, he thinned out when he started crawling and walking, he is 5 now and a bit taller than average but perfectly normal weight.

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

My son used to chunk up big time when he was that little, but that meant he was due for a growth spurt.  Just keep feeding him if he wants it

#6 boatiebabe

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

My baby girl was a huge baby and was completely off the charts.

I breastfed her on demand until about 2 years of age. She started on solids around 4months of age and loved to eat and breastfeed.

She has always been tall and not ever skinny - she had some good healthy chunk up until puberty.

At 15 she is over six foot tall and weighs 57kgs and is gearing up for a career as a runway model in Europe and the US.

If anything I worry about her being too thin now!!!

If I were you I wouldn't worry and continue feeding your little one. Right now he probably knows what he needs. You never know you might be growing a future olympic basketballer!

#7 cvbn

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:56 PM

Just make sure you get lots of rest and good food, otherwise, what they said ^^

#8 babybug15

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:08 PM

Not my baby, but had friends in similar situation- completely off the charts growth and breastfed. When they started walking they thinned out a little bit, but as a toddler, they are still off the charts.

None of the medical professionals were worried, as feeding & developmental milestones were all "normal".

#9 HolierThanCow

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:14 PM

My first born was EBF and off the charts for weight at 4 months (head circumference and length were 95-100th percentile, I think). She was huge. No medical professionals ever said anything negative about it, and she was an early crawler and walker. 12 now and nearly as tall as me...

#10 Jingleflea

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

Are you or your partner tall?
genetics plays a big part in how big our babies and children are and a lot of Gp's a health nurses seem to forget that.

My GP muttered about failure to thrive when DD was a baby, but I'm 5ft1 and Dh not much taller with really skinny genes on his side, so our kid was never going to be big!

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:20 PM

My DD1 was a "buddha baby". Exclusively breastfed until 6 months. By the time we hit 6 months, she was down to 3 days BF and an evening BF before bed. She dropped to an evening BF only by about 9-10 months and came off the breast (her choice) around 15 months of age. She was always past the 99th percentile as a baby. When she was 18 months old, she was 18 kg (I remember that so clearly). She started walking at 16 months and from then on, her weight gain slowed down a lot and her height kept increasing and she started to lose the chubby bubby look. By the time she was 4, you would never have guessed that she was a buddha bub for the first couple of years. She is now 12 years old, 52kg and 179cm in height and still growing up. Not sure when she's going to stop.

Dr was never concerned because weight and height were both tracking together (ie she was 99th percentile for both weight and height for the first 2 years). Once she started growing up in a hurry, Dr was watching that her weight didn't drop below 30th percentile.

#12 Hands Up

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

Had the same thing. 3.5 kilos at birth, 8 kilos by 3 months, 10 kilos by six months, 12 kilos by 12 months (ie started to slow). Now a 5.5 year old and a very tall 21 kilo rake :-)

#13 Ellie bean

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

My ds was a huge baby then there was around 2 years where he didn’t actually gain weight, he just stretched. I wouldn’t worry personally.

#14 Kreme

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

My DS was under 3 kg when he was born but then he ballooned! At his 6mth checkup he was the average height and weight of a 1 year old. Then he just stopped putting on weight for ages and just grew taller. He’s been skinny since he was 2.

He’s now almost 12, 75th percentile for height and 50th for weight.

Oh and despite loving his milk (he was ff from 6 weeks) and everyone predicting he’d be a great eater, he wasn’t interested in solids until he was well over 12 mths.

#15 Lou-bags

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

I had two large babies too. Both had reached about 9kg by 4 months, and 11kg (DS1) and 10.5kg (DS2) by 6 months of age.

Both slowed right down in the second half of their first year. DS1 was just shy of 13kg at his first birthday, and DS2 somewhere around 12kg.

The only advice I trusted was that of trusting my babies and feeding them on cue. This extended to solids also- I let them eat as much as they wanted, and to not eat any if they wanted, too. I breastfed on demand day and night for the first 12-14 months and then began to slowly put limits around breastfeeds thereafter (still fed overnight until well past 18mo- for as long as it was working for us).

I'd really be wary of any health professional who encouraged you to restrict the food of a baby (whether that be their milk or solids), whether by spacing feeds or reducing the volume, in the absence of any diagnosed medical need.

#16 Silverstreak

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Yep, I had a big baby who drank a lot (formula only from five weeks) and then ate a lot. He was always up the top for height and weight. I fed him on cue and now age seven he is tall for his age and has a solid, muscular build.

He thinned out once he started walking and running and now he is very active and healthy. My family all have solid, barrel chested builds and DH's family are tall, so he is a combination of both. Sounds like you're doing a great job.

Edited by Silverstreak, 26 November 2019 - 04:37 PM.

#17 Lallalla

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:37 PM

View PostJenflea, on 26 November 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

Are you or your partner tall?
genetics plays a big part in how big our babies and children are and a lot of Gp's a health nurses seem to forget that.

My GP muttered about failure to thrive when DD was a baby, but I'm 5ft1 and Dh not much taller with really skinny genes on his side, so our kid was never going to be big!

I had this too. Got referred to a paed because she had dropped weight and length centiles. She looked at me and looked at the baby and said why did they send you in? She looks healthy and you’re not that big yourself. I think MaCH nurses and GPS are very conservative in referrals because sometimes there really is an issue. Looking back a little boy in my mother’s group who it turned out wasn’t getting enough milk was really out of proportion... but that is with the benefit of hindsight

#18 lucky 2

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

Stretching out feeds is odd if your baby is ebf and healthy.
And what does it mean anyway, what's the definition?

Feed to cue, let baby drink as much as desired, one side or 2.

Fiddling with feeds can be tricky, I'd be more worried about blocked ducts and mastitis!

Food introduction at around 6 months is the normal, I doubt baby will want massive amounts initially, which is ideal.

How's your back? :)

#19 Lunafreya

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

Food is fun until they’re one. But at five months DS was going after his Dad’s nachos

#20 HolierThanCow

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 26 November 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

Food is fun until they’re one. But at five months DS was going after his Dad’s nachos

My second had an epic meltdown at 5 months when she saw us eating hot chips in our local fish and chips restaurant (and reaslised she didn't have any!) Hadn't shown any interest in eating before that...

#21 Meemaw

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

I had one like this - 3.7kg born and at 6 weeks early and spent 5 weeks in the prem nursery where he looked even larger next to the others! Really felt the judgement of midwives and even the other parents and spent most of my time saying 'no I did not have gestational diabetes'. Once we were home I was forever being lectured by the maternal health nurses who would not believe he was EBF yet gaining 2 lbs per week, sometimes more. I ignored their advice to limit feeding and introduce solids and listened to my paediatrician who said just feed him when he wants and introduce solids at 6 months.
He was off the charts until school age when he settled down into the 90 percentile for height and about 60 for weight and stayed that way until late teens. He is now a 28 year old 6' 5" guy of average weight who certainly has no weight or health issues.

#22 BRB

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:11 PM

DS was a large baby, I just checked his records and at 3 months he was 61cm and 8.2KG.
he was breastfed and I fed on demand which was very very often! He is now a healthy thriving active boy with no weight concerns.  Admittedly I had concerns like yourself but mostly because people would comment on how large he was. DH is tall and a big build so makes sense.

#23 gracie1978

Posted 26 November 2019 - 10:06 PM

Yip enormous baby
At 5 he is still very tall and average size

#24 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:10 AM

I had 3 giant babies. They were all born premature and small but long. Then by 6 months all 3 of mine were in size 2s for length. I got the diet talk from all 3 of them and one nurse wanted to get my son tested for Prada Willie syndrome. Now they are 13 and over 5'6", 11 and 5'8" and my 5 year old is in size 10s for length.  They have np hope to be giants with both parents over 6'3".

#25 WaitForMe

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:59 AM

Just had a look at a growth chart and notice his weight and length are in proportion.

That is, he is both the length and weight of an 8 month old at 50th percentile on the chart I have. Or a 5 month old at 95th percentile.

I'm not an expert but if he was fed too much wouldn't his weight be disproportionate to his length?

Actually its quite impressive how perfectly in proportion he is.

Edited by WaitForMe, 27 November 2019 - 05:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.