Growing Pains

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

DD (just turned 7) was complaining of pains in the back of the legs at night. Doctor said it sounds like growing pains and not to worry.

But the cramps were annoying her.

She is quite tall for her age, eats well, excercises.

Was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and if you found anything that helped.  I started giving her a kids multivitamin in case she needs calcium or magnesium.

#2 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

I remember having them as a kid and they were awful.
Ds1 gets them and I massage the area with arnica cream, he uses a heat pack and if they’re really bad I give him Panadol. Not sure if the arnica actually does anything, but the massage seems to help and he usually copes without pain relief.

#3 Tyrannosaurus

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:27 AM

My boys went through this last year and this year, i would apply cream but it didn't help much and it took ages to get over it.
So i took them to physio (he did massage for half hour) and it took only two sessions to make them feel better and they stopped feeling pain.

Edited by Tyrannosaurus, 27 November 2019 - 10:28 AM.

#4 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

My 6yo gets them. She had had them for a few years. They sometimes wake her at night.  She also complains in the day time that her legs are tired, moreso than my other kids ever did. I assume it's connected.

#5 theboys2

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:03 AM

my eldest (nearly 8) complains of this sometimes. I usually tell him to give his legs a rest for a while and if its still hurting to come and tell me and I give him some nurofen.

Most times it goes away

I use to get them as a child as well.

#6 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

Both of my kids have had this, particularly when they are going through a growth spurt. Massage and rest seems to help, with nurofen if it's really a problem. Definitely more noticeable at night after a long day on their feet.

#7 RynandStompy

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

My DD aged 8 then had that during term 1 this year. For her it went from sore calves to sore heels and painful to walk.As part of eliminating we saw a podiatrist for 3 visits who said was pain caused by various bones, muscles and ligaments "growing" and in her case, now affecting gait.
They put soft heel inserts into her commonly used shoes/boots.
3 weeks later new inserts with half the incline were exchanged. Pain was much less during this.
She was fine about 4 weeks after that so we didnt bother with new inserts when she grew another shoe size.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:51 PM

My brother had this when he was a bit older there was nothing they could do for him

#9 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

Thanks everyone. Lots of things to try. I did get her some bath salts to soak in as well as the cream today so we will try those to things and maybe see a physio if no improvement as the next step.

#10 Babetty

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:32 PM

I had them as a child and DS gets them too. Heat pack really helps.

#11 kadoodle

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:05 AM

Massage helps with DD1 and DS2, especially with voltarin or similar. Panadol before bed.

#12 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:41 PM

I worked on the placebo effect and gave DD special growing pains tablets (I had them as a child so have lots of sympathy), but I would give a chewable vitamin D tablet as a placebo. At least she felt like we were doing something.

#13 Ellie bean

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:09 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 02 December 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

I worked on the placebo effect and gave DD special growing pains tablets (I had them as a child so have lots of sympathy), but I would give a chewable vitamin D tablet as a placebo. At least she felt like we were doing something.
Why not give Panadol and actually do something? Genuinely curious as I’ve given dd pain relief for growing pains, is there a reason not to?
Efs

Edited by Ellie bean, 02 December 2019 - 09:09 PM.

#14 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:31 PM

I found Panadol myself useless as a child, so if placebo works no harm.

#15 Ellie bean

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:54 PM

Ok thanks!

#16 Dianalynch

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:02 PM

I’ve given dd Panadol, it seems to help. Poor thing has been in pain with them a few times, and I also remember it as a kid.

#17 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:13 PM

nurofen worked better for my kids, rather than panadol.

If it wasn't doing anything, I wouldn't give it.

#18 Fi Fy Festive Fo

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

Just want to add make sure they are hydrated. My dd can get terrible cramps and she is hopeless at drinking water. Massage and a big drink usually sorts her out

#19 STLJRB

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:30 AM

My boys find that heat packs work and if really bad Nurofen as well.

#20 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

View PostFi Fy Festive Fo, on 03 December 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Just want to add make sure they are hydrated. My dd can get terrible cramps and she is hopeless at drinking water. Massage and a big drink usually sorts her out

Thatnks Ive been working on thsis and it seems to have helped actually as well as magnesium bath salts which is probably just a placebo but hey at least shes nice and clean :D

#21 Wolf87

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:34 PM

No advice but I used to be in agony with these as a child, hope DD doesn’t get them too bad. Weird as I’m so short, the pain did not equate to how tall I ended up :rofl:

#22 TND

Posted 26 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

My son had these terribly when he was 4/5.   We went and saw a podiatrist who gave him a heap of basic exercises.    I was cynical but they worked, frog jumps, toe walking etc.   my son stopped having the pain and we all got some sleep.  

Good luck

#23 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 26 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

View PostWolf87, on 26 December 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

No advice but I used to be in agony with these as a child, hope DD doesn’t get them too bad. Weird as I’m so short, the pain did not equate to how tall I ended up :rofl:

Same here.... huge amount of growing pains agony to only end up 1.5m.

#24 leosmum

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:34 PM

If it continues after first-line treatments such as heat packs, Panadol and massage, then I’d definitely recommend Physio - only needed a couple of appts to help my son.

#25 Julie3Girls

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:42 PM

Immediate treatment when my Dd gets them ... heat pack, ice pack (both can work), I hAve a magnesium rub that we use for muscle massage. Also tried magnesium supplements.

Long term ... bones grow, then muscles have to catch up, hence “growing pains”. So the physio gave her a variety of exercises to stretch out specific muscles, to deal with the he growing pains in her legs, as well as pain in her knees (same cause). And it helped - while doing the exercises, the growing pains eased a lot, both  in severity and frequency.  When she stopped doing them for a while, the pains came back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.