Until what age did you children believed in Santa

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Magratte

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

I am just curious. I suspect that my older child may not believe any more in Santa, but is quite happy to play along. Not even 10 yet.
Too early? Just right? 😊

#2 susie78

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

My son was 7 when he asked, he is a very logical kid with a scientific brain and it just didn’t make sense to him anymore.  He loved being part of the adult world the next Christmas after that and thought he was so grown up knowing something that his sister didn’t.

My daughter is 7 now and she has started making some comments that make me think she’s questioning things. If she comes straight out and asks I will answer her truthfully.

#3 Jersey Caramel

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

My first DS worked it out at about 4 :( So we have never made a big deal of it or tried too hard to make them believe. I know DS9 was told by his cousin about 2 years ago,  but DS5 is completely convinced despite being surrounded by non-believers and even tries to convert them! He's a Santa-evangelist :lol:

#4 seayork2002

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

He is 12 now and going along with still in a way i think but maybe 9/10 when starting to ask questions

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:59 PM

DS asked around 6.5.   I held him off with “what do you think?” for a few months and then, when he said he really wanted to know, I told him it was me.  He then had hysterics about how lovely I was to buy him all those things.  

Next day he had blocked the whole thing out, or pretended he had, or who knows how his mind works.  

Now at 8 he talks about Santa all the time, but says stuff like “when Santa gets me a Nintendo Switch it will be mine and you can’t say turn it off”.  

#6 Murderino

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

My youngest doubted it from about 3 and would say outright Santa isn’t real. He still plays along though 5 years later.

His older sibling says she still believes.

They humour me as they know I love Christmas. I have a friend who told her children “if you don’t believe you won’t receive” and suggested I do the same. I told her my kids know I got a Santa stocking right up until the Christmas before my mum died so they know that saying isn’t true.

#7 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

If you believe you receive in my house

#8 lozoodle

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:20 PM

Not sure. My eldest is almost 11 and I have no idea. Youngest is 6. They all seem to go along with it. I'm sure they could just google the answer if they really wanted to

#9 got my tinsel on

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:29 PM

DD was still absolutely convinced at 12 (Dec birthday), so we told her.

#10 james_c

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:35 PM

i don’t think DD believes, she is almost 4 and never really got the Santa thing. We probably did something wrong! Her childcare friends might convert her... I don’t mind either way, but a bit of Christmas magic creates wonderful memories!

#11 SummerStar

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:43 PM

I was 7/8 when I asked mum and was told but I was the second child and older sibling didn't believe so as a parent myself it's easier when everyone just knows so there's no hiding etc. Mum was probably relieved I asked.

My kids have all been told just after Christmas the year they started high school because my husband reckoned he believed and got into a fight over it when he went to high school because his parents never told him.

We just have one left who believes and we have a few years yet before high school. She always knew dressed up people were fake from the age of 3, was always switched on differently to the others so I really thought she'd have worked it out by now, she's also not one to play along so I'm pretty sure she doesn't know and isn't saying.

Have to say I am a bit over it though. Three who are well past it as am I. It's wonderful when everyone believes but hard when some do, some don't. Will be good when I don't have to watch what I say and sneak around Christmas night.

Edited by SummerStar, 27 November 2019 - 08:45 PM.

#12 BornToLove

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

DD was in prep and had doubts but other kids in class confirmed.

Since then we have made Christmas about the spirit of Santa. DD gets into it, doing nice things for others and buys us small gifts that she signs ‘from Santa’ and puts under the tree. I love it and love how DD makes sure Santa visits us as well 😉

#13 Manicmum

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

I’ve had to confess to miss 10 because it was making her cross. The others just accepted it was their choice. Now they all choose to believe because it’s more fun that way.

#14 seayork2002

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:50 PM

View PostSummerStar, on 27 November 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

I was 7/8 when I asked mum and was told but I was the second child and older sibling didn't believe so as a parent myself it's easier when everyone just knows so there's no hiding etc. Mum was probably relieved I asked.

My kids have all been told just after Christmas the year they started high school because my husband reckoned he believed and got into a fight over it when he went to high school because his parents never told him.

We just have one left who believes and we have a few years yet before high school. She always knew dressed up people were fake from the age of 3, was always switched on differently to the others so I really thought she'd have worked it out by now, she's also not one to play along so I'm pretty sure she doesn't know and isn't saying.

Have to say I am a bit over it though. Three who are well past it as am I. It's wonderful when everyone believes but hard when some do, some don't. Will be good when I don't have to watch what I say and sneak around Christmas night.

I don't hold anything against my mum at all but she was  not good at hiding the evidence.

I knew for a while but thought I was onto a good thing so never let on for quite a few years

#15 No girls here

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:12 PM

DS1 was around 4 or 5 I think. DS2 definitely knew by 4. DS3 is 8 and only starting to question it now. To be honest I'm hoping he works it out this year, I'd rather not have to keep up the pretence.

#16 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:16 PM

I had it figured out by 5. My oldest figured it out last year at 10 and the youngest child at 9 is very very very insistent that Santa is real. He believes in magic and fairies as well. I love that he sees magic in everything while at the same time loves science and hard facts. Then again he’s the same child who insists that art is science and since is art.

Like a PP I kinda wish he’d figure out Santa isn’t really because I find it a total pain to pretend.

Edited by mayahlb, 27 November 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#17 Sentient Puddle

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

Don't think either child really believed but still plays along in their teenage years.  The magic of Giftmas doesn't have to be solely tied to a belief in Santa.

#18 EmmDasher

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:35 PM

I was all over Santa by 5 as is DD, also 5. She clued in via the Easter bunny. The bunny is not real, does that mean Santa is not real too? She’s happy enough to play along though and hasn’t been spreading her discovery as far as I’m aware.

We never went to a huge effort to create and support the myth so the outcome isn’t that surprising.

Edited by EmmDasher, 27 November 2019 - 09:35 PM.

#19 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

Emmdasher we don’t either, but it’s like the myth that won’t die! I swear my youngest believes less when younger then he does now. Santa doesn’t even bring the big gifts, just small stuff because I refuse to let a make believe character get all the credit on hit gifts. Though maybe it had something to do with the teapot when he was 6 that he really really wanted and then forgot he told me about that turned up Christmas Day to squeals of joy and a sincere belief in magic since.

Edited by mayahlb, 27 November 2019 - 09:39 PM.

#20 Jingleflea

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

DD is 9.5 and seems to still believe.
i kinda wish I'd never started the whole santa thing because I really don't like lying to her.

She had a teacher in 1st grade tell the class Santa wasn't real and was a bit upset about it but I told her that everyone believes different things and that's ok, but it's not ok to tell someone their belief is wrong. Some of the kids were REALLY upset apparently.
Thanks for nothing random relief teacher!

I know I was told by mum at 10 that it was the last year I'd get a santa gift because mum knew I knew the truth lol.
I must have worked it out or been told by other kids.

#21 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:55 PM

I found a pro and con list a few weeks ago that my son 13 made. Number 1 for Santa being real.

My mother buys me everything I meant or need until she is broke and cries about being poor. Santa brings me stuff my mum could never afford.

Apparently Santa is still real

#22 123ChristmasTree

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:21 PM

My son is eleven and claims to believe but I personally think that is BS. He has asked for a very expensive gift he is definitely not getting and I think he is testing me.

Not sure how I feel about Christmas Day.

#23 Murderino

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:48 PM

View Postjames_c, on 27 November 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

i don’t think DD believes, she is almost 4 and never really got the Santa thing. We probably did something wrong! Her childcare friends might convert her... I don’t mind either way, but a bit of Christmas magic creates wonderful memories!

We get our magic by decorating the front of the house with lights and entering the town lights competition. We have a lovely carols night where winners and honourable mentions are announced. I describe our design aesthetic as “elf vomited in the front yard”.

#24 Lime-Polka-Dot

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:06 PM

I still remember the day I worked it out. I was about 7 and I was at a friends house, she showed me a card santa had given her and I recognised her mother's handwriting.

I definitely knew that I was onto a good thing and kept quiet to my parents for several years. I think eventually I would open the santa presents and then thank Mum and Dad for them anyway. (Even though I totally knew it was all Mum and my Dad would have had no idea what was even in any of the presents).

DD has only just turned 6 and as far as I know has no reason not to believe just yet.

#25 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

I am not game to ask them, as my reality may be very different to their reality. I like to live in the bubble of thinking that they did not know until I told them.

My brother and sister threatened me with physical violence if I let on that I knew. Being older than me, they were still getting Santa Presents and knew that it would stop when I fessed up. I think that it was several Christmases after I knew that my parents realised that I knew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.