Until what age did you children believed in Santa

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#26 Team Awesome

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

I was recently turned 7 and set up a test to prove it. My mother thought it was another 3 years later.

My eldest was 12.

Second is 13 turning 14 and is clinging hard to her childhood because puberty and growing up sucks.

Third is my cynical child who wants to believe she’s 12.

Baby of the family is 9 believes all things about Christmas is magical.

I always ask them what they believe.

#27 seayork2002

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

Lime-Polka-Dot, on 28 November 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

I still remember the day I worked it out. I was about 7 and I was at a friends house, she showed me a card santa had given her and I recognised her mother's handwriting.

I definitely knew that I was onto a good thing and kept quiet to my parents for several years. I think eventually I would open the santa presents and then thank Mum and Dad for them anyway. (Even though I totally knew it was all Mum and my Dad would have had no idea what was even in any of the presents).

DD has only just turned 6 and as far as I know has no reason not to believe just yet.

Yes my mum's writing, same wrapping paper as normal presents, specific code labels specific to where she worked on the toys

#28 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:44 PM

I suspect they were about 5 or 6. We pretended until 12.

#29 SummerStar

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

seayork2002, on 28 November 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Yes my mum's writing, same wrapping paper as normal presents, specific code labels specific to where she worked on the toys

For our kids we did not put labels on the presents so no writing and I used different wrapping paper for each of them (so I knew which presents belonged together) then completely different paper for other gifts. I was very careful with that sort of thing!

Edited by SummerStar, 28 November 2019 - 07:50 PM.

#30 Allegra99

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:17 PM

Interesting that so many people think their older children still believe. I found out at 9, but never mentioned it to my parents. I think when I was in year 12 they asked me if I still believed in Santa! (Clearly a lack of communion my family, but we were never open).
My daughter asked at 6 randomly if Santa was real and I deflected. She is 7 now and if she pushed the topic again I’d tell her the truth. I actually said to her a few days ago that “fairies aren’t real”, and she reminded me of the tooth fairy to prove fairies are real!

#31 seayork2002

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:25 PM

Allegra99, on 28 November 2019 - 08:17 PM, said:

Interesting that so many people think their older children still believe. I found out at 9, but never mentioned it to my parents. I think when I was in year 12 they asked me if I still believed in Santa! (Clearly a lack of communion my family, but we were never open).
My daughter asked at 6 randomly if Santa was real and I deflected. She is 7 now and if she pushed the topic again I’d tell her the truth. I actually said to her a few days ago that “fairies aren’t real”, and she reminded me of the tooth fairy to prove fairies are real!

I would presume some older kids believe and some do not. There is no wake up one day and you just know, tjere are adults that beleive in zombies and the earth is flat and lots of things same as kids

#32 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:40 PM

My DDs were 5 and 6 respectively.  

They are still happy to go along with it for fun and do santa photos etc.

#33 .Jerry.

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:39 AM

I told her Santa was made up right from the beginning. We still did the Santa thing at Xmas for fun though. Parents seem to still enjoy it even though they know.

#34 RocktonResident

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:29 AM

I told DD when she was 12, as I thought going into high school she should know. She asked if it was ok if she still pretended to believe, and I said it was fine. She's struggling with all the changes in life at the moment and it's not hurting anyone, so why not?

DS is 11 and acts like he still does, but who really knows? I'll tell him at 12 if he hasn't said anything to me.

DD is 6 and believes. With older siblings I don't know if she will as long as the others?

#35 Hands Up

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

My kids are four and five and they don’t seem to get the Santa concept. They haven’t heard about it from us and it seems daycare don’t talk about it much. I’m quite happy to take credit for the presents!

#36 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:24 PM

DD was about 5. I tried to put her off but she wasn’t having it. We all still play along though, cos it’s fun :)

#37 Riotproof

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:35 PM

Ds9 totally knows.

Dd will probably work it out next year and tell all her friends.

Santa is not a big deal in our house. He only brings stockings.

#38 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

I can't see why it has to be a big deal if the kids do believe.  However, I do find it quite offensive if a kid (a very young kid) spoils it for everyone else.  As a parent I would be letting my kids know NOT to tell anyone if they didn't believe, because everyone is different and has different beliefs.  And you can think and know something but not say anything about it.

#39 Sentient Puddle

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:04 AM

Tinky Winky Woo, on 30 November 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

I can't see why it has to be a big deal if the kids do believe.  However, I do find it quite offensive if a kid (a very young kid) spoils it for everyone else.  As a parent I would be letting my kids know NOT to tell anyone if they didn't believe, because everyone is different and has different beliefs.  And you can think and know something but not say anything about it.

And kids do everything that their parents tell them - just read EB!

#40 gracie1978

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:48 AM

This makes me feel a lot better.
My Mum told me at 9 and was quite mean about me not having figured it out already.

DS is 5 and quite delightful in his belief of it :)

#41 dadwasathome

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:07 AM

This is the first year that DS12nextweek hasn't asked for a Santa photo.

#42 400

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:12 AM

gracie1978, on 05 December 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

This makes me feel a lot better.
My Mum told me at 9 and was quite mean about me not having figured it out already.

DS is 5 and quite delightful in his belief of it :)

My mum was so mean about it too, she forgot to put money in the cup after I lost a tooth and rather than making some story up she said “tooth fairy isn’t real, Santa isn’t real, Easter bunny isn’t real” and completely shattered my world. I was probably about 7 but had no inkling at all. And I still had younger siblings so it’s not like she was waiting to call the whole thing off! I made it my mission to keep the fantasy for my little sister because I had been so devastated. Basically once I moved out of home it all fell apart (or she was just tricking me!)

I’ll be interested to see how long I can stretch it out with my kids, I feel like they’ll say “mum we know” and I’ll be like “NO YOU DON’T! SANTA IS REAL!”

DS is 18 months old so haven’t really even started the farce yet. He is pretty keen on the Christmas tree though so I’m hopeful I can bring the magic 😊

#43 qak

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:40 AM

I don't know ... I just told them at about age 8 that there's no more presents from Santa after they are 10.

That way I could stop for the older one and it would seem reasonable :huh:

#44 steppingonlego

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:57 AM

My 10 year old I am sure doesn't believe but wants to believe badly so I am letting her but I am not going hard on the Santa stuff anymore. If she asks I will tell her.

I am completely over Santa the gimme gimme money grabbing feel of the whole thing. She is my last so I will play along as long as she wants but if she goes digging she gets the truth.

Also Santa is bringing the smaller gifts and only 2 or 3 as I think sometimes that is the reason for still believing (my older two said they knew for years before but were worried the presents would stop)

#45 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:04 AM

I guess what I think of it all is there are presents under the tree with names from and too on them.

the same presents can be under the tree from mum and dad, Santa, the neighbour 2 doors down behind the fire station, Aunt Peggy, the kid at school who forgot to write who it was from and we have now all forgotten as DS does not actually know the kid much. etc. etc.

one day Santa may stop writing Santa or for fun Santa may still write his own name even if there is no belief

But I don't see writing it or not has to be a deep though long drawn our process that will scar the child for life is not done correctly, the unwrapping does not take enough time for it all to register.

Except for those kids that spend all afternoon writing thank you notes I guess

#46 HRH Countrymel

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:10 AM

My big sister told me as soon as she found out, I wasn't even at school yet so maybe 4?
I was sad, but also a bit relieved in a way as I couldn't ever understand why my cousins who were SO naughty used to get so many more presents from the Jolly Old Elf than we did.

My Mum was really nice when I asked her, and confirmed it, but then we all agreed that we like the idea of Father Christmas and thus stockings were still hung by the chimney with care..

And still are.

#47 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

HRH Countrymel, on 05 December 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

My big sister told me as soon as she found out, I wasn't even at school yet so maybe 4?
I was sad, but also a bit relieved in a way as I couldn't ever understand why my cousins who were SO naughty used to get so many more presents from the Jolly Old Elf than we did.

My Mum was really nice when I asked her, and confirmed it, but then we all agreed that we like the idea of Father Christmas and thus stockings were still hung by the chimney with care..

And still are.

Yeah I still get DS small things so put this in a stocking so if he wants to know it is from us but continue to 'believe' it is from santa then I don't see the problem

#48 Lady Monteagle

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:15 AM

I have a 9yo firm believer.  However he's having to reconcile his no-longer-belief in magic with his continued faith in Santa.  He has worked out a whole international sub-contracting arrangement.  I find the whole thing cognitively fascinating!

#49 IkeaAddict

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:19 AM

DS starting questioning at about 7 (he had friends at OOSH who were 10 and 11) but accepted our answers to his questions. Start of this year, age 8, he asks us outright, around about the same time he started asking about sex. So we told him. And he replied "I knew it". Apparently his friend had set up a santa trap thing LOL

#50 LeggyBlonde

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:22 AM

An unpopular opinion no one has asked for, we have always been clear that Santa wasn’t real, but it was part of the christmas story, much like baby Jesus I am afraid.

I cannot fathom letting my kids think they did well with their present haul courtesy of Santa but that their perfectly lovely poorer friends were less worthy. Why wouldn’t a mythical Santa be more generous to needier kids??

Edited by LeggyBlonde, 05 December 2019 - 09:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.