Until what age did you children believed in Santa

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:53 AM

Various ages.

DS2 was 4.5 watching muppet Christmas carol when he came out with “so that’s why timmy won’t be getting Christmas gifts - Santa is not real”.

DS1 was turning 9 and asking for an expensive Birthday present. I said too expensive won’t be getting it, so he said fine, Santa can bring it (but with a twinkle in his eye - he was playing me), so I said you do know Santa is us? He pretended shock but said he knew since 1st/2nd grade.

DD we told at 9.5yrs (birthday is just before Christmas) in grade 4 that Santa is not real. She hated us for spoiling it, although other kids had been talking like that for years at school. She is into Unicorns, fairies etc so very much a believer ever though logically it did not make sense.

#52 Riotproof

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

seayork2002, on 05 December 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

I guess what I think of it all is there are presents under the tree with names from and too on them.

the same presents can be under the tree from mum and dad, Santa, the neighbour 2 doors down behind the fire station, Aunt Peggy, the kid at school who forgot to write who it was from and we have now all forgotten as DS does not actually know the kid much. etc. etc.

one day Santa may stop writing Santa or for fun Santa may still write his own name even if there is no belief

But I don't see writing it or not has to be a deep though long drawn our process that will scar the child for life is not done correctly, the unwrapping does not take enough time for it all to register.

Except for those kids that spend all afternoon writing thank you notes I guess

A lot of this angst makes me glad I haven’t built Santa up as something big. It’s fun, a bit of a story, but the big presents come from us.

Not Santa.

#53 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:26 AM

We say Santa is the spirit of Christmas. When the kids ever questioned about Santa being real we always asked them what they thought. Very interesting to hear their theories on how it worked.

All presents under the tree are from Santa. The kids know that if they ever spoil for younger cousins Santa will not come. Now that they all know they are charged with keeping the magic alive for younger cousins.

#54 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:29 AM

Riotproof, on 05 December 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

A lot of this angst makes me glad I haven’t built Santa up as something big. It’s fun, a bit of a story, but the big presents come from us.

Not Santa.

A few years ago I mentioned om here that when DS stops believing in Santa he will be told he won't be getting presents from santa any more I meant this as a joke and although I didn't say he would still be getting the same presents they just would not say 'from santa' any more I thought it was obvious

I was told basically it was shocking and my son will be devastated and will grow up upset about it all etc.

I think this poster has some serious santa issues (I genuinely don't remember who it was).

I barely remember what I post most of the time but this has stuck

#55 Riotproof

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:33 AM

I don’t know what to say to that.

#56 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:19 PM

yes santa can be divisive. i definitely remember a few santa threads where some posters were adamant that the myth of santa was encouraging and enabling your kid to lie...YK, we were complicit in the lie so how could we have any moral grounding...v odd.

My DS who is in yr 2 (not for much longer!) - he’s 7 and he still believes....it was round about this time that my older DS found out...I thought maybe DS2 would find out this year...i’m certain kids in his year know, but they haven’t told, or maybe they have and ds believes regardless. it would be nice to have one more xmas with him believing the magic..i’d say next year all bets are off.

#57 laridae

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

DD1 was about 7 when she started questioning it. We get questions every year and I usually go with what do you think, and if she persists, that Santa is based on St Nicholas who was a real person a long time ago, and Santa only comes to those that believe.
This year (she's 9), she asked again, and then said, wait, I don't want to know. So I think she knows but wants to keep it going.
I think DD2 believes (she 5), but she's said before 'that its just you mum'. So dunno.

#58 kimasa

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

LeggyBlonde, on 05 December 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

An unpopular opinion no one has asked for, we have always been clear that Santa wasn’t real, but it was part of the christmas story, much like baby Jesus I am afraid.

Same here. That's how it was for me growing up too.

#59 gravity1

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:22 PM

My son was 3 years old.

#60 Mae55

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:54 PM

My just turned 10 year old seems to still believe but he might (probably) just be playing along. My older child stopped by 6 and he was pretty sceptical the Christmas he turned five.

I stopped believing around a similar age but played along for many more years.

I teach upper primary and the majority of my students have Told me/tried to trip me up/given away they they don’t believe but I tell the old ‘if you don’t believe, you don’t receive’

#61 .Jerry.

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

DD, who has been told right from the beginning that Santa wasn't real (but part of the fun of xmas), still gets presents from Santa under the tree.  Will forever probably.

And DD has told kids she doesn't believe in Santa, just like she has told them she's an atheist.  I don't ask her to stop speaking her beliefs and I don't think what one small person says could shake another's strong belief.

I grew up with the Santa story and fantasy.  Don't remember when I "found out", probably about 11.

#62 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

I’m old and Santa still brings me presents.

I have no real recollection of finding out. My kids have never really asked, so maybe they are teens and still believe ;) or are just happy to play along because Santa brings the good stuff!

#63 Crombek

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

My eldest is 8 & is adamant he still believes. I don’t know, I suspect he’s wavering but doesn’t want to let go.

Apparently he is absolutely convinced in the magic Santa, Easter bunny & the tooth fairy. But flat out doesn’t believe in god or religion (and goes to a religious school!) or his grandfathers ‘magic’.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.