Sewing machine for kids?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chicken Pie

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:02 AM

A great idea by a friend was a sewing machine for DD 10,5 who is crafty and cutting up clothes lol

Any input into a sewing machine for a kid that is not a toy but good for kids and beginners? Materials etc?

#2 Tiara15

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:38 AM

Toys R Us have this one on sale atm for Black Friday

https://www.toysrus....ng-machine.html

#3 Froyohoho

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:20 AM

I'd go with a base level Janome.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:15 AM

I wouldn't get a kid one.  I have a Singer one that I and my two sisters got in the 1950s to share, and it still works, but it's not made of plastic bits made in China.

Despite the fact that the base levels are probably not worth repairing if anything goes wrong either, at least they will still be appropriate in a few years time. Can't see a 14 yo playing with a toy machine.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:20 AM

https://www.spotligh...N0aAl6eEALw_wcB

This seems to be the base level Singer, ironically the same price as the base level one I got for my 21st early 70s, still going strong.  Well, creaking along.

Fantastic gift!

#6 Sancti-claws

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:33 AM

Yep - get a real sewing machine - they are way cheaper than they used to be - a friend of mine actually reconditions and sells them as his sideline business and there are some great ones out there going for a song.  If she is that way inclined, she will be so grateful for it!!  I still remember my first machine - paid off on lay-buy.

#7 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:45 AM

A real machine for sure. I sewed obsessively as a kid and someone gave me a toy machine which was safe but excruciatingly frustrating in terms of its lack of usefulness. I graduated to my mother's old workhorse Husqvarna pretty quickly.

I'm not sure if you sew? If you do then you'll know how to take her through using it. If you don't sew, then some basic lessons in using it are essential so she doesn't sew her fingers or overly strain the machine.

#8 suzy4

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:57 AM

I just got my then 12 year old DD an entry level machine from spotlight, make sure its a top load bobbin ( much easier for DD) and i bought her some cotton type materials a sewing basket, different colour threads, sewing scissors, pins, tape measure and a couple basic patterns etc. She needed quite a bit of help to begin with so we learnt the basics together (i do not sew). Now a year later she can make a tote bag, wheatbags, scrunchies, patchwork quilts for her sisters dolls and she made a large patchwork quilt aswell. She used a pattern for some dolls clothes but at this stage finds that a bit fiddly and prefers straight lines!😀

#9 Fourteenyears

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

Adding to the chorus of get a real one!  

Our then nine year old got a sewing machine as her main gift last Christmas.  She was thrilled and it is well used.  She sews herself clothes and toys and throw pillows and even makes things for friend’s birthdays.

I assume she’ll still be using it in a decade.

Edited by Fourteenyears, 30 November 2019 - 06:59 AM.

#10 Froyohoho

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:09 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 30 November 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

https://www.spotligh...N0aAl6eEALw_wcB

This seems to be the base level Singer, ironically the same price as the base level one I got for my 21st early 70s, still going strong.  Well, creaking along.

Fantastic gift!
Singer machines are mostly Chinese made these days, as are most other brands. Yes old Singer machines have a great rep, but the newer ones don't. I wouldn't go for the one you've linked.

Edited by Froyo, 30 November 2019 - 07:12 AM.

#11 MsLaurie

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:25 AM

I got a real janome at age 11/12, and it was still in regular use until replaced for my 30th!

#12 NastyGal

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:28 AM

My DD10 saved up her pocket money and bought the Singer one above just the other week. So far it's been fine, although threading it for the first time was a steep learning curve for both of us - I have no idea about sewing. Thank goodness for YouTube!!

Obviously because it's so new it hasn't had a good workout yet, but both she and I are very happy with it so far, and for the price it's a bit hard to go wrong. if she decides to take sewing further as she gets older we'll look at a more sophisticated machine then.

#13 TinMan

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:38 AM

I bought a basic Elna one from Spotlight, no issues and easy for me as a beginner to learn on- three years on we've made some lovely things largely thanks to youtube and the generous sewers on there that share great ideas.

#14 400

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:47 AM

Echoing the real machine advice rather than kid’s machine.

I was on my mother’s hardcore Husqy as a kid, I think a 10YO should be able to handle a basic machine.

Great great gift for a kid with a solid interest in it, it can last for such a long time!

#15 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:51 AM

Ok I am chiming in as I would like a machine myself. I did sewing at school when I was 11 and 12. However my vision sucks. I use reading glasses and magnifiers for life and my artwork.
Is the automatic needle threader function really worth it? Or am I best just to use a needle threader for hand sewing to thread the needle in the machine? And what about automatic drop in bobbins? I really would like to buy an entry level machine to do a bit of craft and do straight forward clothing repairs but maybe I should go more to get features that would help me use it?

#16 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:38 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 30 November 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

Ok I am chiming in as I would like a machine myself. I did sewing at school when I was 11 and 12. However my vision sucks. I use reading glasses and magnifiers for life and my artwork.
Is the automatic needle threader function really worth it? Or am I best just to use a needle threader for hand sewing to thread the needle in the machine? And what about automatic drop in bobbins? I really would like to buy an entry level machine to do a bit of craft and do straight forward clothing repairs but maybe I should go more to get features that would help me use it?

Needle threaders are the bomb!

For hand sewing I can also recommend something like this https://www.fabricca...hread-needles-2

I have a different brand but they work the same way and have made me love sewing again.

My bobbin drops in but I do have to make sure the thread has caught, it's easy though.

Edited by Nasty Poobah, 30 November 2019 - 08:39 AM.

#17 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:00 AM

View PostFroyo, on 30 November 2019 - 04:20 AM, said:

I'd go with a base level Janome.
Same. Wouldn't get a toy one.

#18 rosie28

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

I agree with PPs, a base level Singer or Janome, preferably from a store that offers a few introductory lessons with purchase, would be a fantastic gift.

#19 piggyinthemiddle

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

I  was in spotlight the other day and while I  was waiting 2 people returned those Singer machines. One complained about it.
Some newer machines have speed adjustment. I wish oh wish that was an option when I  was trying to teach my daughters.

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

View PostFroyo, on 30 November 2019 - 07:09 AM, said:

Singer machines are mostly Chinese made these days, as are most other brands. Yes old Singer machines have a great rep, but the newer ones don't. I wouldn't go for the one you've linked.

Yes, I meant to add that although modern appliances are comparatively cheap as chips, the way they're put together (which is what makes them cheap) also makes them unlikely to last long.

I bought a hand mixer in the early seventies, that still had its $19.99 price sticker on it when it died a few years ago. Got a replacement from Kmart - $19.90, bet it won't last 40 years. Not that I'd expect it to, but it does make purchasing decisions hard when you want to both be kind to the enviroment and not pay too much.

I did hear that Singer (THE brand from my grandmother's day from 1900 to the end of the century) was not the ideal brand any more.

#21 Froyohoho

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

Yes, exactly, that's why I'd get a Janome.

#22 Chocolate Addict

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

Yep, definitely not a kids toy one.
I only use industrial so don't know a great deal about domestic machines.
I started sewing around that age on a semi industrial singer. :)

You can get great magnifying lamps for sewing machines which helps with threading. With inserting bobbins, a lot of time you can feel if it is in correctly.
With industrial machines the bobbin goes in under the bench/machine so you can't actually see it to put it in. I can tell by pulling the thread through if I have put it in properly though. :)

#23 cvbn

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

Get good thread, many a person has had a dodgy stitch with horrid thread!

#24 PrincessPeach

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:52 PM

The thread makes a massive difference.

But i recieved a base model elna machine for christmas when i was 10. I hate to think how much sewing i did on that poor machine. I finally upgraded it the other year, so it was well over 20 years old. Janome seem to be the big go to these days for a base model. (My current one is a Husquvarna - not cheap, but an absolute dream to sew with).

A toy one would never have lasted the distance.

#25 Clementinerose

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:34 PM

This thread inspired me to get out my machine for the kids to “play” on. They spent the afternoon making bags and stockings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.