Producing a podcast

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 lizzzard

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

Has anyone been involved in a podcast before- as a producer, guest or interviewer? Or as a listener - any avid podcast consumers?

Do you have any tips? Things that work well, things that don’t, lessons learned?

For context I’m aiming to produce a series in Q1 next year. I will probably engage a professional podcaster to help me with it but am interested in some informal ideas on how to make it successful. The format will be interview based around a couple a themes related to my work (I don’t want to be too specific but it’s related to leadership) - it’s a ‘passion project’ though rather than a work thing.

I’d love to hear any advice!

#2 Datrys

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:33 PM

Not my personal experience, but a podcast I listen to regularly did an episode on podcasting recently which you might find helpful:

https://www.theconne...w-your-podcast/

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

Yes but I think yours sounds more professional than what I was doing. We basically recorded a Skype call of us all chatting about our chosen topic (we reviewed fanfiction basically) and then a few of us who knew how to work Audacity edited these recordings over several painstaking weeks to clean up the track, take out bull crap and add sound effects.

Have good quality headsets and microphones - whatever you are recording with. If it’s a bad recording it’s hard to clean up.

I don’t think I serious enough to provide you with more info than that! (We were quite silly - but it was a lotta fun)

#4 cvbn

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

I listen to a lot of podcasts and my only grumble is people that say 'Um, you know, like' over and over again. It really starts to get to you.

I had to stop listening to 'The Lady Vanishes' because of this.

Good luck, sounds like fun.

#5 ABabyPlease

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:26 PM

I listen to a lot and I think the dynamic of having two hosts works well. It seems that the relationship between the hosts is appealing.

I hate podcasts with bad sound quality, especially as I mostly listen through my headset when walking or commuting. I especially hate when the volume goes up and down during an episode.

Always provide show notes with relevant links.

I think being open and a bit vulnerable builds rapport, just like in real life!

Good luck, it's my secret ambition too.

#6 lizzzard

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:40 PM

Some great tips already!! Thanks guys. Two hosts is interesting idea.., and I hadn’t thought of doing show notes but that’s a great idea!

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:48 PM

Oh yes. I’d forgotten the show notes! A definite must!

#8 hoohoobump

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:59 PM

Lost my well thought out post ...

Ones I like and well produced (I think)
The Broad Experience (one woman show)
HBR Ideacast/HBR Women at Work - obviously lots of resources behind this one. Sometimes two or three hosts.

Tilt Parenting - started as one woman/her son. Hers is usually an interview style with guests introducing themselves and then question/answer format.
In It - two hosts

Things I hate:
- sound quality issues Additive Magazine’s podcast suffers from this a bit
- Cheesy theme tunes - ‘Parenting ADHD with Penny Williams’ has this big intro with a bloke speaking and then changes to her with a breathy, soft voice.

#9 MincePieMasterchef

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:21 AM

Sorry for the post hijack but where do people recommend uploading / hosting their podcasts?   One of my friends has a similar project hes looking into.

I know some people use youtube. Any other options?

#10 ~Peahen~

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostABabyPlease, on 30 November 2019 - 08:26 PM, said:

I listen to a lot and I think the dynamic of having two hosts works well. It seems that the relationship between the hosts is appealing.

I hate podcasts with bad sound quality, especially as I mostly listen through my headset when walking or commuting. I especially hate when the volume goes up and down during an episode.

Always provide show notes with relevant links.

I think being open and a bit vulnerable builds rapport, just like in real life!

Good luck, it's my secret ambition too.

I second this. My favorite podcast I listen to has had a few episodes with poor sound quality and I sadly couldn't listen to them. One was loaded with background noise as they'd decided to record outside. Wind, birds, dogs barking, cars and kids playing completely drowned out the hosts. Another sounded like it was recorded underwater. Very frustrating as I was very interested in the topics discussed. One had a feint beeping in the background which slowly drove me insane.

I also love the dynamic of two hosts.

#11 Hollycoddle

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

For me it comes down to the person's actual voice. Some people have a voice for broadcasting, others just don't. Other things that annoy me are excessive unnecessary profanity (not likely to be an issue with yours if it's a semi-professional topic but it's common with younger, 'hip' podcasters), sounding like the person is literally reading off a page (which I'm sure they sometimes are) and banter and off-topic rambling between two hosts which goes on way too long. All Aussie Mystery Hour is bad for this, I recently listened to an ep and it got almost halfway through before it even touched on the actual topic. It was meant to be a ghost story but they went on for about 10 minutes about how people speak in Downton Abbey.

Before getting into podcasts I never realised there was such an array with varying quality and that pretty much anyone can do one. It's made me much more appreciative of skillful broadcast journalism.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 01 December 2019 - 09:25 AM.

#12 lizzzard

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:01 PM

Luckily the audio quality should be ok as I have access to a proper studio setup for recording.

The two hosts idea has really caught my attention... I’ll definitely be thinking about this some more....

Do people think it matters who the host is? Should I prioritise someone with some profile (in the community who our audience is likely to be) or someone who is unknown but I have a really good dynamic with?

#13 ABabyPlease

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:41 PM

I'd go for a good dynamic.

Check out "Too peas in a pod" or "Happier" or "Chats10 Looks3".

#14 lizzzard

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:31 AM

I’ll check out the suggestions. Thanks for the advice...I’ve got my thinking cap on re options now 😁

Edited by lizzzard, 02 December 2019 - 07:32 AM.

#15 notsonewone

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:38 AM

I was involved in one for work not that long ago, and I remember our “producer” saying for every hour of recording/prep you get about 10 minutes of content. Hope that helps.

#16 just roses

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:43 AM

Are you going to be editing it yourself, Lizzard?

#17 wallofdodo

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:28 AM

Yes to the banter (as in not too much), and the voice matters, not to breathy (I stopped listening to Steve Biddulp for this reason). Also for an Australian podcast, don't have too broad an accent! Snob I know, I can't listen to it.

Well produced matters. Not everyone's cup of tea but Love and Radio have some really interesting production ideas, but probably not relevant to what you are doing.

Also I listen to this one podcast and they have the same music behind all their adds, so when you are skipping through the adds (hahaha) its easy to tell when they finish (Reply all - or most of the Gimlet Media pod casts)

I don't like it when the host sounds like they are reading a script, but it doesn't turn me off. Like the above mentioned The Broad Experience. I think this is where 2 hosts works well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.