Gift ideas for 14/15 year olds

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 PatG

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:19 AM

I have several 14-15 year olds to buy gifts for. Both boys and girls and I don't actually know their likes and dislikes! Around $20-30 and not vouchers....
Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

#2 Apple14

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:57 AM

No suggestions except cash. They can do what they want to do and cash is always appreciated by the teens we know. They don’t have to fake liking the gift just to Chuck it to the side when you leave.
Cash is king.

#3 Sentient Puddle

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:58 AM

^^ yep - at parties DS goes to now - cash is king and he also wants mainly cash for Giftmas so he can buy the shoes and games etc he wants.

#4 Apple14

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:58 AM

Just to add...
My kids (all ages) love getting cash from my dad. Saves him working out who like what so he gets off easy, and they are so super excited to see notes in a Xmas card, it makes his day. Win win

Edited by Apple14, 01 December 2019 - 11:59 AM.

#5 tiggy2

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:04 PM

Girls - body shop or lush stuff, nice lip gloss etc from Sephora is popular in the age group
Boys - sports related stuff - have a wander through rebel. My nephews that age love surf, skate, sport related stuff but check the brands. There’s not a lot in that price point but when it’s on sale you can get accessories tshirt etc

#6 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

I tend to give a $30 Rebel Sport gift card at that age.

I have heard a Boost Juice gift card is also popular with that age group.

#7 marple

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:19 PM

wallets, nike drink bottle, cool socks  9 globe or nike0, -  round beach towel - boys or girls

you can also often get 2 adidas tshirts for $50 at rebel

girls  - nice lip gloss, little purse, a light scarf, also you can get a set of make-up brushes for that price easily

Edited by marple, 01 December 2019 - 12:28 PM.

#8 Sentient Puddle

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:22 PM

View Postmarple, on 01 December 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

wallets, nike drink bottle, cool socks  9 globe or nike0, -  round beach towel - boys or girls

you can also often get 2 adidas tshirts for $50 at rebel

girls  - nice lip gloss, little purse, a light scarf

Not trying to be difficult - but not knowing likes and dislikes is really tricky as DD wouldn't really like anything on your list for girls but loves Nike or Underarmour socks and drink bottles etc.

#9 littlepickle

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:31 PM

As a rule I don’t give cash to that age group for Christmas - predominately because the one’s in my family do not call/text to let you know what they have put it toward (I don’t care if it’s a day at the beach or a total splurge..)

Some great things my kids have received:
Movie vouchers
High end shampoo / conditioner (Male or Female)
Top quality spray on sunscreen for the beach
Hats - plain black and something like Nike
American candy
“ I fly voucher”

Alternatively I give a ‘family’ gift - usually a day pass to an adventure park etc

Good luck

#10 marple

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

View PostSentient Puddle, on 01 December 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

Not trying to be difficult - but not knowing likes and dislikes is really tricky as DD wouldn't really like anything on your list for girls but loves Nike or Underarmour socks and drink bottles etc.

yeah i said the first lot were for boys or girls.

i just added on extra girls things as i think they are a bit easier to buy for. - though having all boys i may be wrong

Edited by marple, 01 December 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#11 Dianalynch

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

Caps - New York yankees and Nike are popular around here, as are low cut Nike/ Calvin Klein socks, under armour or Nike tshirts (often on sale. Sports bags by Nike and under armour - adidas is ‘out’ around here

#12 MarciaB

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:48 PM

I think drink bottles filled with chocolates or lollies (or socks!) are a good gift if you don't want to do cash or a voucher (either would be my first pick).

Trying to tailor gifts to teens that you don't know well is tricky.  

If you go the voucher route - a movie voucher (Hoyts/Event depending on what is near where they live) is a great gift for teens coming into school holidays.

#13 JBH

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:51 PM

I would agree with the Nike drink bottle filled with some kind of chocolate.

#14 MarciaB

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:54 PM

Quick dry gym towels are also good (depends on interests but even if not into sport, those quick dry towels are good for hiking/camping/travel etc) - but some may find it a very boring gift (yet I bet it gets used !)

#15 lucky 2

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:12 PM

Girl- tea 2 (chai, herbal tissanes), nice diary (milligram) high lighter pens (daiso), body shop (body or hand creams), nice Xmas tree ornament, vouchers for cotton on, bookshops, body shop, sportsgirl, rebel etc, quirky pot with real or fake greenery. Nike socks and scrunchies.

Dd identifies as looking like a VSCO girl, you'd play it safer with vouchers.

#16 Navy Blue

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:16 PM

View Postlittlepickle, on 01 December 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

As a rule I don’t give cash to that age group for Christmas - predominately because the one’s in my family do not call/text to let you know what they have put it toward (I don’t care if it’s a day at the beach or a total splurge..)

Some great things my kids have received:
Movie vouchers
High end shampoo / conditioner (Male or Female)
Top quality spray on sunscreen for the beach
Hats - plain black and something like Nike
American candy
“ I fly voucher”

Alternatively I give a ‘family’ gift - usually a day pass to an adventure park etc

Good luck

I don't think I'd expect to know what the cash went towards, unless for example the recipient asked for money towards a particular thing. Then I might ask next time I see them 'are you enjoying the abc that you got with your Christmas money?'

I've never got my kids to update people who've gifted them money either. Do others do so?

#17 SFmummyto3

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:01 PM

String of Led lights with remote to decorate bedroom wall, has been popular with my teens and their friends.

#18 teaspoon

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

View PostNavy Blue, on 01 December 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

I've never got my kids to update people who've gifted them money either. Do others do so?

Agree, small sums are just pocket money.

One of my sisters gave DS $300 last xmas and he let her know he bought a skateboard. But he would let her know about most purchases as they're very close.

#19 littlepickle

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:43 PM

Navy Blue - it’s likely just my maternal side of the family that started the tradition when money is given as s gift. My 96 year old grandmother gives all her grandchildren and great grandchildren cash with the expectation that we let her know what we used it for. For DS this is often straight to his bank account as he is saving for a car (currently 14 so a few years yet), My mother follows the tradition and so do my siblings ..... but then we are a bit quirky

#20 MakesMeHappy

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:33 AM

View PostSFmummyto3, on 01 December 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

String of Led lights with remote to decorate bedroom wall, has been popular with my teens and their friends.

This sounds like an awesome idea!  Do you know where to buy them from??

#21 SFmummyto3

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:06 AM

Kmart sell them
Amazon
eBay
If you search online there are heaps of places, we usually have bought the bluetooth ones
And the longer length is good too, at least 5m so they can string them around their room a bit more

#22 hills mum bec

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:39 AM

I really hate cash for presents.  DD15 would love anything from The Bodyshop or Typo.  Movie vouchers are a good option or a nice surf brand t shirt or hoodie.

#23 **Xena**

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:41 AM

I usually tell people to get my kids gift vouchers or money if they want ideas. My kids for instance aren't into anything that has been listed so far in this thread. They prefer to save up for big items like instruments or computer parts or go to a movie, buy a book, go to the zoo etc.

#24 71Cath

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

My teens both want money.  We oldies may not like it, but it's what they want.

#25 No girls here

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:20 AM

My 13 and 15 year old boys always appreciate food, money and vouchers the most.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.