Ethical milk- Vic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 redsocks

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:36 PM

I want to support our dairy farmers, who I know are struggling (who says latte sipping inner city folk don’t care about the bush?) Does anyone have the latest info re most ethical milk brands? I am in Vic metro and usually buy Devondale or Great Ocean Rd from Coles  ( Pura  light start or Rev if nothing else on offer)

#2 kimasa

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

Gippsland Jersey
https://gippslandjersey.com.au/about/

Woolworths is their main stockist.

#3 TinCat🐱

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:30 PM

I was going to say Gippsland Jersey too

#4 Quick hedgehog

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:12 PM

Thank you, we've moved to Victoria and I've been wondering this too.

#5 Meepy

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:33 PM

We buy from Victorian Farmers Direct who deliver and we pay a reasonable price. The milk is delicious.

#6 Ozquoll

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:56 PM

Try this one:
https://hownowdairy.com.au/stockists/

#7 rosie28

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:05 PM

Recently we’ve been buying St David’s Dairy and Green Pastures. I’m not 100% sure how ethical Green Pastures is, but the website indicates it’s ok.

#8 PuddingPlease

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:37 PM

This isn't a popular thing to point out I know but I don't think there is actually any connection between the amount farmers are paid for milk and its cost at the supermarket. There really is nothing any more ethical about buying brand name milk than there is any other product from a supermarket.

Personally I recommend Schultz Dairy if you can find it, it's absolutely delicious but neither major supermarket stocks it and it retails for about $3 a litre.

#9 Murderino

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:39 PM

On Devondale and Great Ocean Road (produced by Warrnambool Cheese and Butter/Saputo):
Murray Goulburn (Devondale) shafted their farmers in 2016 by cutting the milk price after season opening and were fined by ASIC for financial disclosure breaches to do with that.

They’re also not a co-op anymore and not Australian owned. Saputo Dairy Australia and Danone Murray Goulburn own half each since 2018. SDA is 100% owned by Saputo (a Canadian private company). DMG is 100% owned by French company Danone.

Devondale gets a C rating at ethical.org.au.

Saputo bought Warrnambool Cheese and Butter (a co-op that had listed as a public company owned by its suppliers) in about 2014 - that’s when my XH and I (and pretty much every other supplier) sold our shares to them.

That said there’s not many milks that get a good rating.

#10 hills mum bec

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

View PostPizzaPlease, on 01 December 2019 - 10:37 PM, said:

This isn't a popular thing to point out I know but I don't think there is actually any connection between the amount farmers are paid for milk and its cost at the supermarket. There really is nothing any more ethical about buying brand name milk than there is any other product from a supermarket.

But there would be some dairy producers that are more ethical than others.  Dairy producers that actually pay a fair price for their milk supply.  No, you're not going to be tell the ethical from the non ethical based on price but you can do some research to find out which brands are more ethical.

#11 400

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:26 PM

View Postkimasa, on 01 December 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

Gippsland Jersey
https://gippslandjersey.com.au/about/

Woolworths is their main stockist.

Can’t find it at my 2 closest Woolies ☹️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.