Aptamil AllerPro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aussiemumof4

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

Hi parents!!
Our doctor has recommended we trial Allerpro for two weeks as DS (10 weeks old) has been having a lot of issues. He is also on losec for the last 7 days. So we have only had two bottles of the Allerpro so far but Bub seems to be extremely windy/gassy which is causing a little discomfort. Just looking for some advice with other parents that have used this formula. Not sure if this is from the formula or not. Also how long until your child’s symptoms improved once starting it? Thank you 😊

#2 alfoil hat

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:29 PM

Sorry to hear Bub isn’t doing well. Has he been on formula before or switching from breast milk?

If cows milk is the actual problem, it may not be hydrolysed enough. Probably worth trying for a little longer though because for most CMPI/CMPA babies it’s sufficient.

#3 Aussiemumof4

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

No not switching from breast feeding just switching formula as after trying a few since birth and having the same issues this is our last step before seeing a paediatrician for further investigation. The losec has started helping but bubs poops and screaming in pain after his feeds is still an issue. None of my other children were like this. What a nightmare

#4 alfoil hat

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:56 AM

It does sound like a nightmare :( this was our experience with allerpro with our CMPI, soy intolerant reflux kid, also on losec... at 6 months DD reacted to it as it wasn’t hydrolysed enough for her level of intolerance. She had a spike in reflux. Frustratingly she also rejected the bottle so I couldn’t do much else but continue breast feeding. At 10 months I tried again (she was old enough for a straw cup) and her CMPI has lessened to the extent that she tolerated the allerpro well.

It sounds like early days for your boy, but if you have no luck there are other options. You might be able to get an urgent paed appointment to get a different type of formula on prescription.

#5 Aussiemumof4

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:11 AM

Thank you for the run down on your experience. We gave his regular formula overnight (Novalac reflux) and his wind seems better this morning. Will continue transitioning to the Allerpro today and see if the same thing happens. Who would have thought that the most slightly preemie baby could be so hard haha.  Can’t wait for solids!!!!

#6 Aussiemumof4

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:12 AM

Also I have heard you can use a thickener with Allerpro so I might try that as it’s really thin which could be causing the wind. I don’t know... it’s all trial and error with babies isn’t it?

#7 Ellie bean

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:05 AM

It’s some years ago for me now but we did find a thickener helped, however that led to some constipation, so everything had pros and cons... my dd needed a more hydrolysed formula but allerpro was fine for ds
I do remember losec had to be given at least 20 minutes before a feed to be effective
Mine were comfort feeding which led to more pain, spacing out feeds helped but I would only do that on medical advice
I would make the aed appointment now, if you don’t end up needing it you can always cancel
The website for RISA (reflux infants association- charity) has some great info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.