• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#1 ilovethebeach

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:49 PM

Edited by ilovethebeach, 03 December 2019 - 07:37 PM.

#2 got my tinsel on

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:54 PM

I would report it to the police.

Did your nephew go to hospital?

#3 Mrs Zee

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:55 PM

Do authorities know?

I would report it if they don't already and I'd refuse to visit with my kids.

#4 Clementinerose

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:57 PM

I don’t know how you go about forcing the situation but I absolutely agree with you that the dog is not safe around the baby.
Was medical attention sought for the baby? If so, what did the parents say caused the injuries when they were at the hospital?
I’m questioning this because I would hope that the treating Dr would also have a process in place for this kind of situation

#5 lozoodle

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

I would put in a report too probably. But honestly what sort of idiot is your brother letting a child approach a dog's food bowl? I mean really, is fkn common sense. Some people just shouldn't be pet owners if they have kids around too.

#6 ilovethebeach

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:02 PM

Edited by ilovethebeach, 03 December 2019 - 07:37 PM.

#7 Mrs Zee

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:03 PM

ilovethebeach, on 02 December 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

Yep he went to hospital had to have day surgery with stitches, lucky not to have interfered with the tear ducts or resulted in permanent eye damage. But on my suggestion he euthanize the dog his reply was well it was our fault he was just protecting his food. Who could you report too?

Council Ranger. I'd be surprised if the hospital didn't.

#8 laridae

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:12 PM

Yep he went to hospital had to have day surgery with stitches, lucky not to have interfered with the tear ducts or resulted in permanent eye damage. But on my suggestion he euthanize the dog his reply was well it was our fault he was just protecting his food. Who could you report too?

Kind of agree with him. The dog would have been protecting its food. It's probably a wake up call for him to keep the dog and baby separated. But surely it's his call whether he can do that or euthanise.

#9 literally nobody

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

Out of curiosity what dog breed is it? Glad the eye is ok.

Edited by literally nobody, 02 December 2019 - 09:23 PM.

#10 blimkybill

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:32 PM

I wouldn't euthanize the dog. This is the kind of behaviour any dog might do. He was definitely in the wrong letting his child crawl around near a dog's meal. He needs to feed the dog well away from the child, and always closely supervise the interactions until the child is old enough to understand sensible behaviour around dogs.
Perhaps he might be willing to seek advice from a dog trainer?

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:35 PM

Why do you think it’s for you to insert yourself into this?

It would have been reported to the ranger, it’s for then and your brother to sort out.

You involving yourself could complicate your relationship further.

#12 blimkybill

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

Another option is always fed the dog in a separate room, perhaps have a baby gate between the main house and the laundry, where the dog can get fed.

My dogs-are-my-life partner just said any dog would do this if a baby crawled towards its dinner while it was being fed.

#13 PuddingPlease

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

laridae, on 02 December 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

Kind of agree with him. The dog would have been protecting its food. It's probably a wake up call for him to keep the dog and baby separated. But surely it's his call whether he can do that or euthanise.

Honestly though, how seperate can they be in the same house? Unless dog is caged outside or kids never goes into the backyard, how likely is it to work in practice?

I understand the sense of unfairness if one takes the view that the dog is not to blame but we've had a lot of dogs in my family and I doubt any of them would have mauled someone approaching their food bowl. I'd also be interested to know the dog breed.

#14 **Xena**

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:39 PM

I'd be more likely to blame the poor supervision and lack of training. Anyone with a dog should know to make sure kids stay away from a dog eating. Even if they've been well trained.

Edited by **Xena**, 02 December 2019 - 09:40 PM.

#15 Clementinerose

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:41 PM

~J_F~, on 02 December 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

It would have been reported to the ranger, it’s for then and your brother to sort out.
Somebody has to be the voice for the baby. If the parents aren’t willing to protect it then who is

#16 Clementinerose

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

laridae, on 02 December 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

It’s a hell of a wake up call for the baby though. He is the one who will suffer through this lesson

#17 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

Clementinerose, on 02 December 2019 - 09:41 PM, said:

Somebody has to be the voice for the baby. If the parents aren’t willing to protect it then who is

You have absolutely no idea if this is true, not based on what has been shared here. In fact the brother had said it was their fault also for allowing the dog to eat where the baby was, it sounds to me as though they are taking this seriously and taking precautions going forward!!

Edited by ~J_F~, 02 December 2019 - 09:47 PM.

#18 ipsee

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:47 PM

It is a small dog, and the family has had a big wake up call. I'm sure they will be much more careful until their youngster is a lot bigger and more sensible.

#19 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:48 PM

Edited by ~J_F~, 02 December 2019 - 09:48 PM.

#20 #notallcats

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:01 PM

~J_F~, on 02 December 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

So a close family member is seriously injured and disfigured and you say nothing?  Have no concerns... just go on with life.

#21 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:02 PM

Yer that’s totally what I said....

#22 #notallcats

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:05 PM

dog atracks my nephew nearly taking out his eye.

#23 #notallcats

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:10 PM

~J_F~, on 02 December 2019 - 10:02 PM, said:

Yer that’s totally what I said....

You said...

The OP is asking what to do... you told her to do nothing basically.  So yeah, that's "totally" what you said.

#24 Paddlepop

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:11 PM

So the brother had had the dog for 6 years with no other problems? Sounds like the parents have had one heck of a scare and will pay very close attention to keeping all children away from the dog while it eats. They might want to consider hiring a dog trainer to make the dog less protective of its food. I definitely wouldn't be putting the dog down.

Then again I grew up with dogs that if you went anywhere near them when they were eating they'd growl and bare their teeth so we knew to stay the heck away from them while they were eating. Any other time they were fine with no aggression towards our family.

#25 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:14 PM

#notallcats, on 02 December 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

You said...

The OP is asking what to do... you told her to do nothing basically.  So yeah, that's "totally" what you said.

I knows what I posted, I can read quite well.

I asked the OP a question to start... then said I felt it was for her brother and the ranger to decide and that her getting involved could further complicate their relationship... I didn’t once tell her to do nothing!!  

If I knew why she wanted to get involved, my answer may change but based on what’s here, I think her brother seems to have it in hand.

But hey you keep telling me what I meant by my words because you seem to know me better than myself!!

Edited by ~J_F~, 02 December 2019 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.