Mumsnet, because we haven’t had a train wreck for a while

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 LeggyBlonde

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:04 PM

And yes I can be accused of click bait, because I am not linking to the actual Munsnet thread, but this article, about a grown woman who took her son to the men’s changing room at the pool is about the crazy.

“She said she chose to use the men’s changing room with her two-year-old son because it was less crowded than the women’s.”

https://www.thatslif...-changing-rooms

Sure, I will declare a position upfront, family change rooms are marvellous when they exist. But male parents take their (minor obviously) children to men’s rooms when necessary. Female parents take minor children to women’s rooms. And if you are in a public change room, nudity is to be expected. Note I didn’t say lewd behaviour, and there is *no* suggestion of it, so that wasn’t the source of the outrage...

Of course serves me right for clicking on a “thatslife” link, it just happened into my internet path, as these things do.

#2 purplekitty

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:08 PM

Oh pool changing rooms.

You'll never get a disagreement about that on EB.

#3 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:12 PM

Huh. A nude man (including penis) in a male change room. Who would have thunk it.

#4 Murderino

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

Cardinal sin here - I haven’t read the linked story yet but I was at a music festival last week with my kids and my two sisters. My son is at an age where he will not come into the women’s so I hovered outside the men’s portaloo area each time he went (with instructions that he had to head straight for a cubicle, if he wasn’t out in five minutes I was coming in and if anyone came too close he should run for me).

Anyway while hovering outside I saw a woman walking her similar age son in and thought good on her - in my 20s my girlfriends and I would have gone in together to avoid the line in the women’s but here I was in my mid 40s shy of going in with my son!

Edited now I’ve read it
No outrage here, nude men in a male change room is to be expected. In fact my son tells me there was a urinal in the men’s area at the festival so any men taking their young daughters may have had their daughters see a penis! Oh the horror.

Edited by Murderino, 02 December 2019 - 09:19 PM.

#5 LeggyBlonde

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

Am reading the Mumsnet thread now, for research purposes you understand. The OP committed the unforgivable sin of not mentioning it was the men’s change room in her first post. She let that slip a page or two later. And she went in there to ‘wait’, sitting by the pool for too long is bad for her asthma. Stone the crows is the only extreme expression I can come up with without profanity.

#6 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:24 PM

Seeing a d*ck in a male change room, who would have thunk it?!

Maybe don’t use the damn male change room if you don’t want to see some d*ck!!

People are weird and prudish.

#7 jayskette

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:26 PM

I am sick of kids of all sexes and ages being in a womens bathroom. Good on that mum, not as if she's getting naked there.

#8 Noodlez

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:31 PM

I have DS 9 and DD 2. I know DS now would not like going into a female change room i think he would feel uncomfortable. A year or so ago it wouldn’t have mattered too much. I still take him into women’s toilets and that is not changing anytime soon.

I however would not feel as comfortable with DH taking DD into male change rooms or even toilets for that matter. I mean really who wants to see men with their junk out? It’s just so more visible and confronting. That’s the same reason I would never choose to use the men’s change room.

However I do realise bodies are just bodies if nudity is good in your house so be it, good for you. I’m glad I never saw my father naked.

#9 76 others

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:41 PM

View PostNoodlez, on 02 December 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

I have DS 9 and DD 2. I know DS now would not like going into a female change room i think he would feel uncomfortable. A year or so ago it wouldn’t have mattered too much. I still take him into women’s toilets and that is not changing anytime soon.

I however would not feel as comfortable with DH taking DD into male change rooms or even toilets for that matter. I mean really who wants to see men with their junk out? It’s just so more visible and confronting. That’s the same reason I would never choose to use the men’s change room.

However I do realise bodies are just bodies if nudity is good in your house so be it, good for you. I’m glad I never saw my father naked.

When my DD was 9,she would have been mortified to have her male peers in the chnageroom with her.

#10 Prancer is coming

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:41 PM

The article also reads like she had an issue with the man’s children seeing him naked.  I have learnt some people are quite funny about children seeing the opposite sex parent naked.  I am sure there has been plenty of threads on here about what age should dad stop showering with his daughter.

I would not think she could complain if she was in the male toilets.  Was she trying to make a statement about something?  I must admit, I have seen a few parents lately openly flaunt the pool rules about no opposite sex children of a certain age being allowed in the change rooms and it is annoying.  Wait for the family change rooms!

#11 LeggyBlonde

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:47 PM

I do hear you Noodlez, and I appreciate your statement about different attitudes in different houses. But I don’t  think men’s nude bodies are confronting to children, particularly any more so than women’s.  Of course I do exclude sexual behaviour from nudity.

#12 gracie1978

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:51 PM

Imagine this complaint in reverse!?!

The man would have been arrested.

#13 Murderino

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:37 PM

View Postjayskette, on 02 December 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

I am sick of kids of all sexes and ages being in a womens bathroom. Good on that mum, not as if she's getting naked there.

I’m confused - you think it’s good she complained about seeing a man naked in the male change room OR just that she used the male change room?

#14 -Emissary-

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:49 PM

So you’ll be fine with a man walking into the female change room with his 2 years old daughter...?

#15 #notallcats

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

“His bum was also hairy and unattractive"

If only he'd waxed and worked out...

#16 Chocolate Addict

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:41 PM

It made it to NT news so I read it there not on mumsnet.

She is an idiot. Men are allowed to be naked in men's change rooms at a pool. Why wouldn't they?

More pools need family rooms but even then, they are just a single room so your own kids might not be comfortable getting changed in front of their siblings.

#17 JingleBlitzenBalls

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:11 AM

I actually feel sorry for the guy in this scenario. There he was doing his normal business of changing in a mens designated change room, and in walks this lady.

If she has mustered up enough outrage about this, It does make me wonder what her behaviour was like in the change room.

It makes me wonder how uncomfortable he was.

#18 WaitForMe

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:34 AM

Yep I feel sorry for him too, my own DH would have felt extremely uncomfortable in that scenario. Alot of people seem to think guys aren't like women and want privacy of their bodies. But they do.

DH takes our two girls swimming and he absolutely hates dealing with the change rooms. Our eldest is too old to go into the mens by their rules and he also feels uncomfortable her being in there anyway. She does not feel comfortable going into the womens by herself. They have one combined family/disabled change room that he sometimes has to wait half an hour for.

#19 seayork2002

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:45 AM

So she walks in because she is too lazy to wait, the bloke already there has to change what he is doing because she can't be bothered waiting, I know men are meant to be the enemy but seriously?

#20 Prancer is coming

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:46 AM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 02 December 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

More pools need family rooms but even then, they are just a single room so your own kids might not be comfortable getting changed in front of their siblings.

If siblings are not comfortable in getting changed in front of others, I do wonder why parents expect a whole change room of opposite sex strangers to be fine with it when they bring there opposite sex child into the change rooms with them.

I get annoyed waiting for the family change rooms too, especially when I wait for ages and out comes a mum, dad and 1 child.  My choices are use the family change room, send boys into male change rooms alone or take them home and get them dressed.  Plenty of options so no need to break rules.

#21 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:49 AM

He had small daughters with him. Cubicles can be cramped at the best of times, but add in two small kids, no thanks.

#22 purpleduck

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:51 AM

:rofl: :rofl: purplekitty
I’m too tired this morning.... you were being sarcastic right???

#23 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:55 AM

For me nudity is not and should not be a problem.

Someone sexualising that nudity is a different thing.

But a man in the change room, I would expect it.

If you read the article the first complaint is

He drops his pant and is stark naked in front of his daughters.

That's weird, right there.
If you choose for your child not to see you naked Ok, still think you're weird but that is what you do.
Don't judge other people.

The whole I went in the mens and saw a man is beyond ridiculous

#24 Hands Up

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:57 AM

So.... she gets to invade a male space, a space designated for males to get changed in, and then also gets to be offended by it? What planet are you on?

#25 lozoodle

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:22 AM

Gosh people are so freaking weird. I reckon they make half this sh*t up just for an internet post because they've got no bloody life and its the only social interaction they get by having a whinge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.