Mumsnet, because we haven’t had a train wreck for a while

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#26 Caribou

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:25 AM

I’m sick of people being shamed about getting changed in a PUBLIC CHANGE SPACE.

Most behave appropriately and get changed without causing fuss regardless of gender there. Just get on with getting change and focus on yourself rather than eyeballing others bodies.

The woman is a nut job.

#27 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:39 AM

As for the fact he’s unattractive and hairy, is she saying she’d be less worried if it was Chris Hemsworth or Jason Momoa?

I mean... yeah but no..

#28 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:55 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 03 December 2019 - 06:22 AM, said:

Gosh people are so freaking weird. I reckon they make half this sh*t up just for an internet post because they've got no bloody life and its the only social interaction they get by having a whinge.

I reckon that's totally it. I haven't read the article, but I'm skeptical at the level of outrage this woman seems to have. I think it's completely about having a public whinge. But I'm skeptical of everything I see on the internet!

#29 Pearson

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:03 AM

View PostMurderino, on 02 December 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

Cardinal sin here - I haven’t read the linked story yet but I was at a music festival last week with my kids and my two sisters. My son is at an age where he will not come into the women’s so I hovered outside the men’s portaloo area each time he went (with instructions that he had to head straight for a cubicle, if he wasn’t out in five minutes I was coming in and if anyone came too close he should run for me).

Anyway while hovering outside I saw a woman walking her similar age son in and thought good on her - in my 20s my girlfriends and I would have gone in together to avoid the line in the women’s but here I was in my mid 40s shy of going in with my son!

Edited now I’ve read it
No outrage here, nude men in a male change room is to be expected. In fact my son tells me there was a urinal in the men’s area at the festival so any men taking their young daughters may have had their daughters see a penis! Oh the horror.

My husband used to go in (we married early 20s) and confirm it was ok to bring some girls in to use the loo, then grab me and as many women from the ladies loo line as there were cubicles. He would wait till we were all finished and leave with us.
He has done this at festivals and royal shows, with kids and without. The guys just step closer to the urinal and do their business and move on.  
In my opinion, toilets should be large unisex rooms with male/female only cubicles alongside unisex ones. Especially at large events like festivals or concerts etc.

#30 dadwasathome

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:08 AM

View PostPearson, on 03 December 2019 - 07:03 AM, said:

In my opinion, toilets should be large unisex rooms with male/female only cubicles alongside unisex ones. Especially at large events like festivals or concerts etc.

Except that the reason the men's are less crowded is because of the urinals - it takes a lot less time to just walk up, unzip, go, rezip than the palaver of sitting down to go. Cubicles would take slightly less time for many men, but also take up more space.

The article does seem totally confected. If not, the woman needs to realise she was wrong and get a life.

#31 BungyBaby

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:12 AM

The OP has to be a troll, change rooms are more humid than pool side areas and have you ever seen anyone go into the opposite sexes change rooms to just hang out.

I have seen a few females come into male toilets because of the line up for the female toilets. They are quick to duck into a cubicle or get out of there once done.

#32 BungyBaby

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:29 AM

View PostAliasMater, on 03 December 2019 - 03:33 AM, said:

Yes I get there could be naked men in a men's room. But it is a family space too, not a men's gym, and grown men should be mindful that being naked in front of unaccompanied male minors who may walk in is not appropriate.

After several years of swimming lessons I can assure you there are a lot of males getting completely naked from babies all the way through to grandpa's who swim with their grandchildren. No one gives it any mind, we just want to get ourselves and kids dry, changed and out of there. No one would give any thought to your 7 year old being there.

#33 kimasa

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:54 AM

My opinion is that this troll has been beyond fed, it's stuffed to the point of explosion.

#34 76 others

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:23 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 03 December 2019 - 05:45 AM, said:

So she walks in because she is too lazy to wait, the bloke already there has to change what he is doing because she can't be bothered waiting, I know men are meant to be the enemy but seriously?

Men are meant to be the enemy? I must have missed the memo. You come out with some stupid crap.

#35 liveworkplay

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:24 AM

Who on earth hangs out in the opposite sex change room for any length of time without pool staff being alerted?? My Dh has been confronted by staff for taking his (then) two young daughters into the family change cubicle...

Totall troll

As for kids not seeing their parents naked....what planet do people live on?

Edited by liveworkplay, 03 December 2019 - 08:25 AM.

#36 Murderino

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostPearson, on 03 December 2019 - 07:03 AM, said:

Oh I agree there is no reason to separate them - there are about 50 portaloos in each area and then portable basins in the middle. It would be so simple to have them all open to everyone.

#37 123Tree

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:51 AM

My adult sister was naked in the ladies change rooms and a father bought his daughter in to get changed after swimming lessons. She was very embarrassed. There were family rooms at the complex but he decided not to use them.

I feel sorry for the man in the story.

#38 Hollycoddle

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

View PostLeggyBlonde, on 02 December 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

But I don’t  think men’s nude bodies are confronting to children, particularly any more so than women’s.  

Absolutely they can be if you haven't been used to it, speaking from having grown up in a single Mum household.  I still very distinctly remember walking in on a friend's father in the bathroom when I was about 7 or 8.  It was frightening at the time to see everything and it still gives me an uneasy feeling when I remember it.  If it didn't have an effect on me at the time I doubt I would remember it so vividly.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 03 December 2019 - 02:59 PM.

#39 Hollycoddle

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

View Postdadwasathome, on 03 December 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

Except that the reason the men's are less crowded is because of the urinals - it takes a lot less time to just walk up, unzip, go, rezip than the palaver of sitting down to go.

Agree re urinals. I have been known to give up and just go into the men's at certain functions because I have no fricking idea what women do in the toilet.  Some of them must be reapplying makeup or stuff like that, in which case just get over yourself and do that 'palaver' out of the cubicle.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 03 December 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#40 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 03 December 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

Agree re urinals. I have been known to give up and just go into the men's at certain functions because I have no fricking idea what women do in the toilet.  Some of them must be reapplying makeup or stuff like that, in which case just get over yourself and do that 'palaver' out of the cubicle.

i agree that if they’re reapplying make up in the cubicle while there’s a queue then that’s selfish a-hole behaviour. i do sometimes think though it could be period related ....something males don’t have to contend with.

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 03 December 2019 - 12:47 PM.

#41 Hollycoddle

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 03 December 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

i agree that if they’re reapplying make up in the cubicle while there’s a queue then that’s selfish a-hole behaviour. i do sometimes think though it could be period related ....something males don’t have to contend with.

Possibly but it seems to be the norm to take ages, not the exception.  It's very rare that you get someone like me who dashes straight in and out in under a minute.

#42 Caribou

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:12 PM

who on earth re-applies make up in a cubicle? I mean the lighting in there is awful for a start! The lighting out at the sinks is much better?!

#43 HolierThanCow

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:31 PM

I'm actually more surprised that the man was comfortable getting his tackle out in front of the woman than I am that he did so in front of his daughters.

As others have said, it's a men's changing room. Both my daughters have been into many men's changing rooms with my (slightly nudist) husband and it would never have occurred to me to expect other men in there to cover their penises.

If there were cubicles, why on earth didn't the woman go in there and stop looking at the man's bottom? It sounds a bit pervy.

#44 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

Damn you OP. You made me click on an article from That's Life! I'm going back to The Guardian now. ;)

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 03 December 2019 - 03:55 PM.

#45 Paddlepop

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:12 PM

Perhaps you could type it slower.

Explain what you mean. Are men's external genitals offensive to you?

#46 marple

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

i think she means that most kids have seen their mum naked so no shock? That's all I've got

#47 Paddlepop

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

Surely most children have also seen their dad naked too? Mine sure has.

#48 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

Offtopic -
but the linking to forums from news websites is getting beyond a joke!

I saw a story on Mouths of Moms that was taken from Mamamia that was taken from Daily Mail that was taken from Mumsnet!

Its boring seeing the same story everywhere!

#49 ExpatInAsia

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:20 PM

Why is it more upsetting for a child to see a father getting his “junk out” in the male change room as opposed to seeing a mother getting her “junk out“ in the female change room?

The mother could have been considerate and averted her gaze rather than stare at him. I don’t think the father was doing anything wrong.

#50 lucky 2

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:02 PM

Hello,

I have removed the posts of one member after a personal request.
Responses with quotes have also been removed.
It would be appreciated if the thread moves on without references to the removed content.

Thank you,

lucky 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.