Which bed for 6yo?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ozquoll

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

Okay, after nearly seven years of co-sleeping, DS is willing to try having his own bed (and bedroom). Which is great! But now I am overthinking the bed choice 🤔. I figure he is going to have the bed for a minimum ten years, so I need to consider the following:

-he's gunna be tall...a single or double (both 188cm long) just won't cut it by his mid-teens

-he's almost certainly going to take awhile to transition from co-sleeping, so either he'll end up back in my bed or me or DH will end up in his bed, so it needs to be big enough for an adult to fit in there (not necessarily in great comfort though)

-availability of bedding - I'm thinking a King Single might work, as it's both wider and longer (107w X 202L) than a regular single (95w X 188L) but I've heard it's not always easy to buy the sheets

-bedroom size is medium. We could fit a QB in there, but there wouldn't be much room left over for playing, which is one of the reasons I wanted him to have his own space - I'm sick of his toys being strewn all over the lounge room! Also, seems like a QB might be harder for a 6yo to make, and I do want him to take responsibility for making his bed each day

So, to sum up, I guess (?) the King Single is my best bet, except the (possible) sheet issue. Would love to hear advice on whether a KS is a good idea, or a different size bed, or bunks, or trundles, metal frames vs wood vs ensemble....anything you have experienced and can offer words of wisdom on!!! 😀

#2 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:16 AM

Ds1 has a ks and we have no issues buying bedding. Will be buying a double when ds2 is ready for a bed as we need somewhere for when guests stay, but don’t have the room for a queen.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

All my girls have king singles, i've never had problems buying sheets. They have a double doona as I always buy up a size in doona anyway (eg i have a king doona on my queen bed).

#4 Amica

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

All my kids have a king single. I've not ever had an issue buying sheets.

#5 Ozquoll

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Brains Trust, I'll take that as a clear win for the KS size!

Any thoughts on frames, trundles, underbed storage, etc?

#6 *Andi*

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:24 AM

My girls both went from cots to king singles, with the plan of them lasting for a long time. Sheets have been no issue at all, and as above they have double doonas. DD1 also has a KS trundle under hers. I went unisex white wood styles in case we want to do shuffling later on. DD1 has one with a shelf in the bed head for her glasses.

Edited by *Andi*, 03 December 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#7 *Andi*

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:25 AM

View PostOzquoll, on 03 December 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

Thanks Brains Trust, I'll take that as a clear win for the KS size!

Any thoughts on frames, trundles, underbed storage, etc?

The trundle under DD1's also has drawers, I keep both their sheets in them.

#8 Ozquoll

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

These ones look pretty good:

https://b2cfurniture...AyABEgKJefD_BwE

https://b2cfurniture...ASABEgI67_D_BwE

https://www.myer.com...Size Single Bed

#9 *Andi*

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:38 AM

These are ours, I waited for sales though.

https://www.snooze.c...p0aAubxEALw_wcB

https://www.snooze.c...t=6906758561825

#10 gracie1978

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:21 AM

I've just bought a king single.
We have an ensemble.

King sheets from spotlight and we use a double doona.  All our sheets are white so I made sure I got I got another colour.

It's so perfect for the space.  Means we have a spare bed for one of us or guests in the babies room.

When the girls come out of their cots we will give it to DS (he currently has an extendable single bed).
They're not born yet so hopefully that's not until 2022 :p

#11 mayahlb

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

Definitely a king single. In all honestly we just got standard KS bedding from target. They sell the sheets in single sheets and the kids just have a single bed doona each. (I just buy fitted sheets as the flat sheets never get used or end up on the floor.

If you do get a trundle make sure it seals well under the bed, we've ended up with lego and all sort of crap interfering with the wheels and then the kid jumped on it and broke the base of the trundle so I chucked it out. Much less mess. Our trundle was just a standard single bed under the KS though.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:01 AM

Our adult daughter still sleeps in the King Single she'd had since teenage years, sometimes with her boyfriend.

Don't worry too much about sheets.  All you need to worry about the King Single for is the fitted bottom sheet, anything else can be double, in fact a double quilt and cover are the logical choice.

#13 Ozquoll

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:12 AM

Okay, my sister has just informed me that she HATES making her daughter's bed, which is a handsome wooden framed bed similar to the ones I linked above, because she scrapes her hand on the wood pretty much every time. That puts me off beds with frames!

#14 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:10 PM

King single bed here for our kids. Great size as they grow! Haven't had a problem finding sheets.

For both of our kids, we have plain white timber framed beds. Nothing fancy, but they are sturdy and seem to doing standing the test of time well.

They both have a regular single mattress stored underneath for sleepovers. (We're cheap-arses, it's just on the floor, no trundle or anything like that, one set of single sheets for each sleepover mattress, easy peasy)

#15 seayork2002

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:13 PM

DS'a current bed is a normal single which he had hand made for him when he was nearly 5.

He is now 12 and over 5' so we are more likely getting him king single next year or so.

I would go straight for a king single for I was doing what you are

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

I like the first two that you posted, but if the mattress is designed to sit snugly via a little ledge stopping it slip sliding around, it will be awful tucking anything in.

The third is similar to what we got from Captain Snooze, but it was so long ago.   It had a rolly trundle which has been used quite a bit.

#17 Hands Up

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

King single with trundle from Freedom. It’s great! The trundle pops up to the same level so great if you are in transition mode....

#18 alias grace

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

https://www.bedshed....r-bed-frame-bed

We recently bought this KS frame for our 3yo and are very happy with it. The surrounding 'ledge' around the mattress is quite low so we've not had any hand-scraping incidents as yet!  Trundle or under-bed drawers can be purchased separately but we opted for neither (as the head of DD's bed is in an alcove so either option would be pretty impractical).  We'll obviously need to figure out sleepovers later.

#19 Caribou

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:52 PM

I do the bed base and attach a headboard only to head of bed best solution for me.

#20 kerilyntaryn

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

when my son moved to Uni - the beds there were King Singles we were able to get sheets cheaply from Kmart

#21 little lion

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:01 PM

As Caribou said, an ensemble with separate bedhead is a nice choice (i.e. no frame). I got my kids ones from Fantastic Furniture, where you can choose from various shapes and fabrics.

#22 purpleblaze

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:22 PM

We got this bed for DS, it’s perfect for him.

https://www.bedshed....frame-bed#143=5

My daughters bed frame has the end that comes up higher than the bed (similar to a previous posters bed frames) and the sheets are REALLY hard to change. Never again.

Edited by purpleblaze, 03 December 2019 - 10:22 PM.

#23 Ozquoll

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:33 PM

View Postpurpleblaze, on 03 December 2019 - 10:22 PM, said:

We got this bed for DS, it’s perfect for him.

https://www.bedshed....frame-bed#143=5

My daughters bed frame has the end that comes up higher than the bed (similar to a previous posters bed frames) and the sheets are REALLY hard to change. Never again.
I quite like the look of that bed you linked - do you think a 6 or 7yo would be able to handle changing the sheets on it? And making it every day?

I am also musing the suggestions upthread of an ensemble bed and a separate headboard 🤔....

#24 Ellie bean

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:38 PM

^^I don’t expect my 6 and 7yo to change sheets, we do it for them (maybe I’m too soft though!)
Actually I don’t get them to make the bed either but tbh I don’t make my own bed, never saw the point (despite my mother telling me I would understand why it’s important when I’m older), we just pull up the doona if someone will be visiting

#25 Ozquoll

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:46 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 03 December 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

^^I don’t expect my 6 and 7yo to change sheets, we do it for them (maybe I’m too soft though!)
Actually I don’t get them to make the bed either but tbh I don’t make my own bed, never saw the point (despite my mother telling me I would understand why it’s important when I’m older), we just pull up the doona if someone will be visiting
LOL, it's mostly aspirational at this point, given I am still battling to get him to hang his clothes up or even turn them right side out 😆! But at some point he'll have to learn, might as well at least start the idea in his head that he can change his own sheets 😀

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.