Share the Dignity bag ideas

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 melbun

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

Is anyone else doing this?

I have my basic bag ready - handbag with essentials toiletries.

But after ideas for some nice little extras - facial wipes, hand cream, lipgloss, maybe some nice hair ties?

Any suggestions?

#2 KwaziiCat

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

I have done this for the past few years and some items I have included as little extras are -

hand cream
hair ties
keep cup
Notepad/ Journal and pen
Body/ Facial wipes
chapstick
earrings
waterproof cosmetic bag
socks/ gloves

x

#3 rosie28

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

I did nappy bags this year, but in the past I’ve added nail polish, pens and notepads, face masks (the sheet ones), socks and undies (big W have multi size undies that are amazing for this), a hat or scarf.

#4 babybug15

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:59 PM

In addition to the "essentials" this year I added:
* hairbrush
* hair ties and bobby pins
* beanie
* 3 pack of socks
* sunscreen
* nailpolish
* nail file
* lip balm
* paw paw cream
* bandaids
* shower mit
* hand cream
* facial mask
* tissues
* antiseptic wipes

I also included two types of pads, two types of tampons and both a block soap and shower gel.

#5 JingleBlitzenBalls

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:08 PM

Yep we are.  lol, I bought so much I had to go and buy a second bag.

we put toiletries in + body shop luxuries - hand cream and little bath bombs and soaps.

thb, I dont remember what got put in either of them as a friends mum also kept buying stuff and we stuffed them in

Our coordinator mentioned possibly getting another bag

It was loads of fun. We basically just wandered around priceline and grabbed stuff

#6 missminx

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:21 PM

Multivitamin tablets

Nail clippers

Crop top (instead of bras)

Phone cards / second hand pre-paid mobile

#7 beccaj

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

Along with the great ideas for more toiletries

A notebook and pen
Warm scarf/wrap
A cap/hat
A giftcard
Drink bottle
Pencilcase with coloured pencils etc in teen bag
Hairbrush
Comb
A book or puzzlebook
Earbuds/headphones
Torch
add a carry bag so the items can be taken out and the handbag used

#8 missminx

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:54 PM

Multivitamin tablets

Nail clippers

Crop top (instead of bras)

Phone cards / second hand pre-paid mobile

#9 kusanagi

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:49 PM

They can't accept food, pharmaceuticals (incl condoms) or sharps so I think multivitamins and nail clippers might get taken out of the bags. You can include a gift card though, I've been putting Priceline ones in my bags so the recipient can buy some essentials or put it towards filling a script.

I put a small beach towel in my teen bag last year, a travel towel in a waterproof bag could also be a good idea. They have lots of ideas on their Facebook page.

#10 melbun

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:47 AM

Great ideas ladies.

KMart sell awesome gym towels.  Microfibre towels that are a generous size yet roll up really small.  I use for one for my hair.  Going to grab one of those.

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

I am following for ideas and there are some good ones here.

The kids and I are going to do this over the holidays, we have so many bags, we decided to put them to good use to help someone else out.

Edited by ~J_F~, 05 December 2019 - 08:54 AM.

#12 Hollycoddle

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:58 AM

There are some great ideas here.  But know that the bag may not necessarily be handed over as is.  We get a lot of these in at work, some are just full of random regifted crap so we generally go through them all and spread the stuff out among each bag so they are about even.  Or in some cases we just take the toiletries out and give them separately to people as needed and send the bags themselves to charity shops.  This would probably be the case with vouchers as well, they'd possibly be held by the organisation until someone comes in needing something specific.  Chemist ones, as a PP suggested, are a good idea re. scripts.

Either way though, the stuff you give will go to people in need and sometimes it's better to give an item actually needed at a particular time than to hand over the whole bag with some of the stuff in it not being used by the recipient.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 05 December 2019 - 09:02 AM.

#13 #YKG

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:32 PM

I’ve done this before, I got suggested to include those feminine hygiene wipes from someone that collects the bags.

Things I’ve included in the past

Pads
Tampons
Panty liners
Feminine hygiene wipes
Hair brush
Deodorant
Hair tyes
Those travel oral hygiene pouches you get from supermarkets
Wallet
Nail polish and remover pads.

#14 nom_de_plume

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:14 AM

View Postkusanagi, on 04 December 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

They can't accept food, pharmaceuticals (incl condoms) or sharps so I think multivitamins and nail clippers might get taken out of the bags. You can include a gift card though, I've been putting Priceline ones in my bags so the recipient can buy some essentials or put it towards filling a script.

I put a small beach towel in my teen bag last year, a travel towel in a waterproof bag could also be a good idea. They have lots of ideas on their Facebook page.

Yes, nail clippers and vitamins will be removed as they cannot be distributed.

The bags are collected and sorted through by volunteers. Sometimes items are removed/added to make sure the bags are more or less similar, or based on requests by individual charities. Gift cards and sized clothing items are often removed and distributed separately. I have previously volunteered for them.

We add items like a diary/notebook/calendar and pen, sunscreen, lip balm, hair brush/comb, hair ties, compact mirror, face washer and face mask.

#15 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:08 PM

I've included some of the things listed already but have gotten some good ideas here, thanks :)

I've also included pretty bandaids (there is a floral range available in supermarkets). I'm not sure how others feel but I feel better with a pretty bandaid than a plain one.

Edited by Fillyjonk, 06 December 2019 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.