Front door keypad

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 steppingonlego

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

Just wondering if anyone has had one installed and how much you roughly paid?

H has managed to lose his keys along with wallet so whoever found his bag has our address and keys

I have wanted one for awhile as the men in the house have lost 4 keys in 12 months but H says the door is too narrow for one or something.

I would prefer a locksmiths opinion but a bit worried about the cost

If you do have one has it been as awesome as I imagine it to be

#2 Grrrumbles

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

My neighbours went the lower cost option of a keypad for the automatic garage door after the teenage sons constantly left the other doors unlocked. They were happy with this.

#3 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:46 PM

We’ve got a lockbox with a keypad that has a spare key installed in the meter box. Not sure how much it was, it came with the house.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:59 PM

We have this Samsung digital door lock.
https://www.bunnings...r-lock_p4220527
It fits in the space of a normal dead bolt. Our door installer did it for us, but I watched him, and I could do it myself if I already had a basic door lock in place.

It’s been good. No more worrying about keys. DH just carries his car key now.
I gave a code to our cleaner, and if she ever moves on, I can simply delete her code. No need to get keys off her. I can give a code to anyone, and delete it later if need be.
And if I don’t trust the kids not to tell all their friends the code, they can have a key card instead.

We want to do our back door now as well.

#5 Murderino

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:31 PM

I love mine (on the house at purchase so can’t tell you cost). We barely use the front door though - wish it was on the internal door from the garage.

#6 little lion

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:54 PM

We have one, I like it. My husband installed it himself so no idea on cost I’m afraid!

#7 can'tstayaway

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

We have one of these on one of our external doors

https://www.lockweb....ital-door-lock/

It has been really useful, similar to a PP above about being able to delete codes, use with a swipe card etc. it also has a manual key so if the battery ever went flat or we forgot the code, we could still get in.

It’s a bit ugly which is why I don’t have it on the front door.

#8 luke's mummu

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:31 PM

We have one- it’s a 4 digit pin. It was around $400 3 years ago, but worth every cent. I no longer have to worry after DS (14) who loses everything

#9 galba

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:26 AM

We put one on our front door after my kids kept losing their keys.

Absolutely love it! Can go out for a dog walk or to the shops and not worry about taking a key.

https://www.bunnings...adbolt_p4062156

#10 redchick

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:37 AM

Absolutely love ours! But it was already installed when we moved in so can’t help with advice on cost.

#11 WaitForMe

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:53 AM

We have the Lockwood one, I love it. No keys! It takes pins or cards/fobs, so we have given our cleaners a card as its a physical device they can't duplicate or tell all their friends like a pin. Also have a spare for tradies.

I got it after we got 10 keys cut and over the course of a year they all disappeared.

The lockwood one I like because it doesn't have wifi or bluetooth. I don't want it connected to our wifi and potentially discoverable and hackable from the internet. It is also retrofitted on top of a standard lockwood lock, which is a well designed and mature lock and we can easily change it to a standard key lock if we want.

It didn't cost much to install, but I'm not sure how much exactly as our carpenter/handy man did it at the same time when we needed some repair work elsewhere. If you already have a Lockwood lock, I don't think you need any work done, it just clips on over the top. Maybe some extra holes drilled? Cant remember.

#12 steppingonlego

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone I knew it would be amazing.

Sadly I got a quote and due to having commerical style front door (like a glass cafe door) the cost is almost $800 as we need to change the lock style completely.

I am going to invest in a key safe installed nearby and not give out keys when lost.

#13 Tinkerbell13

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:03 AM

What if you have a screen door you would still have to have a key for it ? Or am I missing somthing

#14 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:11 AM

View Poststeppingonlego, on 05 December 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

Thanks everyone I knew it would be amazing.

Sadly I got a quote and due to having commerical style front door (like a glass cafe door) the cost is almost $800 as we need to change the lock style completely.

I am going to invest in a key safe installed nearby and not give out keys when lost.

I know someone who uses a key safe, people in the street cannot see anyone entering the code where it is located so if I was to put one in I would make sure of this

#15 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:47 AM

We recently finished a major extension/renovation (ie gutted heritage cottage and built rest new), we were going to go the door keypad, but eventually decided to give each child a house key and put a spare key in a key safe near the front door.

After research we found this to be the best option

https://www.kidde.co...y-boxes/001014/

#16 WaitForMe

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:04 PM

View PostTinkerbell13, on 05 December 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

What if you have a screen door you would still have to have a key for it ? Or am I missing somthing

Well you could have the same again on the screen door but personally I only lock the screen door if I'm home and want the front door open. It doesn't get locked when we are out as the front door is locked. Personally I don't think it adds any worthwhile additional security over a normal front door.

#17 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:06 PM

View PostTinkerbell13, on 05 December 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

Yup. We don’t have screen doors, so it’s not an issue. If you regularly lock your screen door, and front door, then you will need keys still, or two electronic locks.

If we go on holidays or something we can also lock our door handle with a key. But for every day outings the door lock is enough.

#18 Murderino

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 05 December 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

Well you could have the same again on the screen door but personally I only lock the screen door if I'm home and want the front door open. It doesn't get locked when we are out as the front door is locked. Personally I don't think it adds any worthwhile additional security over a normal front door.

Same here - if I know I’ll need the front door I unlatch the screen door before I leave. Usually it’s for my dad or sisters to let themselves in if they are coming and beat me to the house.

#19 Imaginary friend

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:26 PM

View PostFluffy Potatoes, on 04 December 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

We’ve got a lockbox with a keypad that has a spare key installed in the meter box. Not sure how much it was, it came with the house.

I have one of these - cost $50 from the post office a few years ago.

#20 Newbutoldish

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:41 PM

I have a security door that is always locked so that I can open my front door to answer it and still be safe behind the security door. Isn’t that what security doors are for?

I love the idea of a keyless entry, I just worry my kids would tell everyone the code.

#21 steppingonlego

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:06 AM

We have a big glass door so a security screen would destroy the look of it.

I picked up a key safe yesterday and locksmith is due soon.

Thanks everyone will def. go keyless one day

#22 can'tstayaway

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:39 AM

What about on a side/back door?  We have an old character house so I didn’t want a modern keypad to ruin the look of the front door.

#23 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

I’ve had a fingerprint front door lock for about 10 years now. I got it because I was uncomfortable giving my DD a key, due to her father being a thieving prying asshat. I didn’t trust her not to give out the code, so fingerprint was the best option.

#24 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:45 PM

Great idea. I'm thinking about putting one on my side door as I tutor from home some days and currently just leave the door unlocked when I'm due for students

#25 WaitForMe

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:39 AM

View PostNewbutoldish, on 05 December 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

I have a security door that is always locked so that I can open my front door to answer it and still be safe behind the security door. Isn’t that what security doors are for?

I love the idea of a keyless entry, I just worry my kids would tell everyone the code.

I'm guessing you use a different door to exit the house then.

We pretty much only leave via the front door. Our side gate also has keypad entry but its a mechanical one since its not undercover. We cycle quite a bit so this allows entry for the bikes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.