Naming a baby Matilda? Bogan?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#26 fols

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:24 AM

Love the name and definitely not bogan.

#27 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:37 AM

I know a couple of Matildas and they go by Tilly or Tilda.

I wouldn't have thought bogan but then Ive read on here that 2 of my 3 kids names are bogan :huh:

#28 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:43 AM

McG2013, on 05 December 2019 - 05:03 AM, said:

Who wouldn't disagree with this? You would label someone as racist based on the name their parents gave them?

Ummmm that’s not what I said at all...

I did say because of my personal experience which is the 2 families I have know that have used Matilda the parents are racist to the core, they are loud and proud about it and that they named their kid Matilda because its pure Aussie and the name is some kind of white Aussie power thing to them.

It has nothing to do with the person named it, absolutely nothing.

I actually like the name.

Anyway the OP asked thoughts and I gave mine based on personal experience, I certainly didnt do what you are suggesting, I am sorry you read it that way.

Edited by ~J_F~, 05 December 2019 - 07:11 AM.

#29 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:52 AM

God I hope not it’s my daughters name and it suits her so much (I wouldn’t say we are hogan at all)

#30 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:54 AM

Wot*A*Lot*Of_____, on 05 December 2019 - 05:57 AM, said:

To me, if you are talking bogan then the one name that a lot(not all because I have a relative with the name) associate with bogan is ‘Sharon’ or the short of ‘Shazza’.

Matilda is actually a name I think a lot associate with ‘Waltzing Matilda’ the song.
Matilda being the term used for swag.

I am married to a Dazza.  Not bogan in the slightest.  No tatts, doesn't drink, professional and moderate.  His family though......?

#31 doubledelight

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:07 AM

I know a Matilda and she is glorious nn Tilly.  It always strikes me as a whimsical name.

#32 Starflash

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:10 AM

Closer to hipster than bogan, on an imaginary spectrum I just conceived...
What could the vertical domain on that represent? Rarity Vs trending, exotic Vs traditional...? :)

#33 blimkybill

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:10 AM

No I don't see it as bogan at all (and I do see some names as a bit bogan). I see it as an attractive mainstream name which in my area may lean slightly towards the hipster/fashionable side. It is a traditional name with a traditional spelling and used in a variety of cultures.
And I would never think to associate it in any way with racism or nationalism, absolutely not.

#34 eigne

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:31 AM

Not at all bogan. It’s a beautiful  name with historical connections and great nicknames. Use it!

#35 IamtheMumma

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:38 AM

Not bogan. A beautiful name of Germanic origin. It is popular in Europe.

JF - it tickles me that the racists used an imported name to show their Ozzie pride. I bet a lot of people have snickered privately.

#36 Bam1

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:41 AM

lizzybirdsworth, on 04 December 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

Not bogan at all!
It bugs me a lot that peoples  names are still being labelled as bogan. Needs to be stamped out

Agree, bogan is as bogan does and nothing wrong with being bogan.

Its sad though that this is a concern to the OP's DH, maybe he is using bogan as an excuse because Maltilda does not fit in with his pomposity.

#37 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:42 AM

IamtheMumma, on 05 December 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

JF - it tickles me that the racists used an imported name to show their Ozzie pride. I bet a lot of people have snickered privately.

I agree and I certainly have laughed about it.

#38 cvbn

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

Well, I am bogan then, I have a Matilda. :yes:

(She goes by Tildy)

Edited by cvbn, 05 December 2019 - 07:56 AM.

#39 Quick hedgehog

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

No, not bogan at all.  Matilda or its varients (Mathilde) is a common and old fashioned name all over the world.  I know there is the waltzing matilda connotation, but honestly I don't think many people associate the name with the song.  Tilly is a gorgeous nickname.

#40 Sentient Puddle

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:04 AM

Not in my experience.  She goes by the nn Tilly and is delightful!

#41 elly35

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:29 AM

No the one I know has v highly educated parents, one of her parents was born in Asia, neither parent or child fits the term bogan

#42 Hollycoddle

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

~J_F~, on 04 December 2019 - 10:03 PM, said:

For me personally it’s in the southern cross tatt category - as in I want everyone to know I am an Aussie and generally I am racist to the core.

Others will disagree I am sure but this is my personal experience with the name!!

Lol I'm one of the dissenters.  The main reason being that the name is becoming more common in other countries.

#43 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:50 AM

Hypnic Jerk, on 05 December 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

I am married to a Dazza.  Not bogan in the slightest.  No tatts, doesn't drink, professional and moderate.  His family though......?
Me to. His family are all very Christian.

#44 HRH Countrymel

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:54 AM

The only Matilda I know has a barrister and a University professor as parents.
The are the least bogan family you could ever meet.

#45 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:56 AM

Not sure as I think Roald Dahl when I think of it I don't think bogan

#46 Gudrun

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:13 AM

Classic European.  A style I usually really like but Matilda isn't a favourite.

But not for any particular reason.  I'm with LBW re the whole concept of names boganity.  Bugs. Me.

ETA Love Tilda and Tilly though. Used as full names.

Edited by Gudrun, 05 December 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#47 Jingleflea

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

I love it but Dh doesn't.

I know one and she goes by the nickname of Tilly which is also lovely I think.

#48 seayork2002

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

If you think Bogan is an insult then I get the issue but to me personally the word Bogan is mixed it with silly/lame/posh just a thing people say like 'oh you use a a knife and fork to eat pizza how posh'

#49 Kreme

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

100% not bogan, not racist, and no southern cross affiliation.

The Matildas I know come from families that represent the opposite of those qualities.

I think it’s a pretty name with nice nn options.

#50 gracie1978

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:43 AM

Thanks everyone I think it's a beautiful name, and it's going back on the list!
Appreciate the responses and apologies to anyone I've offended with the question.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.