Naming a baby Matilda? Bogan?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 Byjingoalltheway

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:17 PM

Name was chosen by sibling and taken from a team from their favourite sport. I also loved the meaning behind it “strong in battle”. Initially she didn’t like it shortened, but now happily goes along with Tilly.

Mathilde
Mathilda
Matilda
Tilda
Tilly
Matti

#52 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

My husband called or daughter's name a bogan name before she was born. It's Elise.

He also called lasagne with home made pasta "too pedestrian" once.

People, even loved ones, are weird sometimes.

#53 Yetski

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:59 PM

No way, I absolutely love the name Matilda!

#54 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

gracie1978, on 04 December 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

DP is convinced it's a bogan name in Australia.
I'm not really sure.

Neither of us grew up here.

I think it's a really lovely name, any thoughts?

There is a girl at my DS school who is called Matilda and never wears shoes to school. I would say that is pretty bogan.

#55 Kallie88

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:05 PM

I don't think so, it makes me think of the book first, long before any connection to like waltzing Matilda, which is probably a little bogan

#56 AprilEthereal

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

My five year old niece is named Matilda. Her family (my BIL, SIL and nephew William 7 years old are the opposite of bogan. Upper middle class family. Well spoken, well educated.

#57 Gudrun

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

I like Tildy, PP :)

#58 AprilEthereal

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:00 PM

Gudrun, on 05 December 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

I like Tildy, PP :)

Tildy is my niece's nickname.  Her family call her Tildy.

#59 LightPink

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:00 PM

Not bogan, it’s a nice name and I love Tilly, but becoming way to popular around here for it to have been considered for us.

#60 Imaginary friend

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:18 PM

Perfectly normal name, used by many people in Australia since rise  in popularity 10 or so years back.

no bogan or racist or nationalistic or any other  particular demographic  just  a name which has become popular in last 10 years or so, that's all.

Quite a nice name, although not one I like enough to use myself.

#61 Imaginary friend

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:22 PM

lizzybirdsworth, on 04 December 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

Not bogan at all!
It bugs me a lot that peoples  names are still being labelled as bogan. Needs to be stamped out

Totally agree.

Discuss our preferences in names without derogatory labelling.

#62 Chocolate Addict

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:51 PM

I don't get the southern cross reference.

I don't think it is a bogan name, but I wouldn't use it because it has become really popular and I like names that are a little less popular.

#63 nom_de_plume

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:58 AM

I think of it as more of a classic name. Old fashioned but experiencing a renaissance.

I quite like it along with the various nickname options.

It’s not bogan unless you deviate from the traditional English or German spelling and start adding random y’s!

#64 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

I like it, and love Tilly. Adorable imho.

#65 countrychic29

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

Not bogan, but I wouldn’t say it is uncommon either
My DDs are friends with 4 Matildas between 4yr-6yr old
Up there with Maddy/Madison/Madeline etc in our area

#66 Astrocyte

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:28 AM

I’ve never read heard of Matilda being a bogan name. I always think of the Dahl story Matilda when I hear the name. TBH I think it’s a weird connection to make between Matilda and being bogan.

#67 JBH

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

Astrocyte, on 06 December 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

I’ve never read heard of Matilda being a bogan name. I always think of the Dahl story Matilda when I hear the name. TBH I think it’s a weird connection to make between Matilda and being bogan.

“Bogan” is a pretty overused and tired description, but I think there’s a worthwhile question about things (not just names) that might be associated with an anti-immigration/racist undertone. For example, even if you are wanting to reflect your love of astronomy I would counsel against a Southern Cross tattoo because it has other connotations. I expect this question has arisen because there is an overlap between people selecting names they think of (perhaps incorrectly) as particularly Australian and a racist culture, and Matilda can be seen through that lens because of Waltzing Matilda. For what it’s worth OP, I don’t see it having those connotations.

#68 Datrys

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:19 PM

nom_de_plume, on 06 December 2019 - 03:58 AM, said:

It’s not bogan unless you deviate from the traditional English or German spelling and start adding random y’s!

Unless you're Czech or Polish, where the traditional spelling has a y...

#69 AnythingGoes

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:32 PM

Even if it was bogan - what's the problem with that? Not talking racist southern cross types - just bogan non traditional spelling et al.

#70 la di dah

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:25 PM

My great great aunt who never lived in Australia was a Matilda so that's what I think of.

I like it. My son has a three syllable Shakespearean name. To my ear they go together.

#71 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:42 PM

The rise in popularity was because Heath Ledger used it.

#72 trillian42

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:31 PM

I was just rewatching ‘Please Like Me’ and Josh complained that as Tom and Ella were moving out, they would have a baby ‘and probably call it Matilda’. Thought of this thread ...

#73 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:34 AM

Nope, not a bogan name.

A classic name though. One of my favourites.

It has grown in popularity, having been floating around the #20 point on the "most popular name" lists for the last few years.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 09 December 2019 - 09:21 AM.

#74 Noodlez

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:54 PM

The more I think about it the more I like it. I think it’s a gorgeous name.

#75 Imaginary friend

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:40 PM

UndergroundKelpie, on 07 December 2019 - 09:42 PM, said:

The rise in popularity was because Heath Ledger used it.

No, I think it was on the rise before then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.