Fruit salad *fluffy*

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 can'tstayaway

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

I have had an ongoing disagreement with DH for a number of years, about whether fruit salad should be cut up into small pieces and eaten with a spoon (him) or big chunks and eaten with a fork (me)?  Yes, we are dealing with the big questions today.

So, what does the collective wisdom of EB say?  

Are there other ways of having fruit salad?  Ambrosia salad does not count lol.

#2 cvbn

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

Spork!

#3 Riotproof

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:36 PM

If you have to have fruit salad, fork.

#4 Ozquoll

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:42 PM

View Postcan, on 06 December 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

I have had an ongoing disagreement with DH for a number of years, about whether fruit salad should be cut up into small pieces and eaten with a spoon (him) or big chunks and eaten with a fork (me)?  .
Your way is correct. Your husband should just go the whole hog and blend those itsy-bitsy pieces into a fruit smoothie.

#5 PuddingPlease

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:46 PM

I'd prefer the small pieces myself but I think there are bigger issues to contend with frankly.

Specifically, the scourge that is people putting banana in a fruit salad. Who wants that? Nobody. Nobody wants banana in their fruit salad.

#6 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

How big is big and how small is small?

Eta to answer the question, small enough to serve in a low ball glass, big enough to eat with a fork then drink the juice after.

Edited by Pocket..., 06 December 2019 - 10:54 PM.

#7 Paddlepop

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:54 PM

Smallish and spoon. If the chunks are too big you may as well just eat the fruit whole instead of calling it a fruit salad. If you don't use a spoon then how can you eat the juice?

Rockmelon and honeydew melon don't belong in fruit salad. Yuck.

Edited by Paddlepop, 06 December 2019 - 10:54 PM.

#8 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:58 PM

I do lots of fruitvsalads I do big enough to eat with fork or fingers

#9 MarleyS

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:06 PM

Eaten with a fork.

Off topic but curious to know what people think should/should not go into fruit salad?

#10 MooGuru

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:23 PM

Small enough it's one mouthful and not needing to bite stuff in half.

#11 *Ker*

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:45 PM

Fork, OP.

View PostMarleyS, on 06 December 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

Off topic but curious to know what people think should/should not go into fruit salad?

I put strawberries, blueberries, oranges, grapes, watermelon, rockmelon and pineapple. Banana and apple go brown.

I hate watermelon and rockmelon, but the kids love it, so I pick those bits out of mine.

#12 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:23 AM

I toss the banana and apple in a bit of lemon juice before adding them. Stops them going brown.

#13 Ellie bean

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:45 AM

The banana is the best bit...

#14 BECZ

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:15 AM

Anything and everything fruit wise that I can find in my fridge and fruit bowl.
People can pick what they don’t like out.

#15 Paddlepop

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:41 AM

It has to have pineapple, and if it's a tinned fruit salad it has to have the fake cherries.

#16 .Jerry.

Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:07 AM

My dad's fruit salad (made only for Christmas and Boxing day) is legendary and requires a spoon for sure.
It is a very "old fashioned" fruit salad.  Contains crushed pineapple from a can, lots of grated apple, orange juice for liquid, plenty of yummy fruit (mango, rockmelon, paw paw, strawberries and much more).  Also has icing sugar for sweetness.

Didn't say it was the healthiest fruit salad but it is absolutely delicious and impossible to eat with a fork.

Craving it right now.  We will all be sad when dad dies and no-one can replicate his fruit salad.

#17 daisy007

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:02 AM

Eaten with a spoon and some cream on top!

#18 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:35 AM

Spoon so you can have it with ice cream :)

#19 **Xena**

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:23 AM

For me it depends on the fruit used. Lots of softer fruits like peaches etc then I prefer smaller chunks and spoon. If it's mainly melon then bigger and a fork.

#20 kimasa

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:44 AM

Fork

#21 Yetski

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:04 AM

Fork

#22 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:19 AM

Smallish. Not so small the pieces lose all chance of identification. Big enough that a spoon or a fork will suffice.
I always use a spoon cause I eat mine with ice cream.

As an example. Strawberries cut into halves or quarters, bananas in 1cm slices. Apples in 1-2cm cubes. Grapes in half. Roughly that size.

Like this image (and pretty much all images on google are the same, so I think I’m right)
https://lifemadesimp...ke-fruit-salad/

#23 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

A fork and I eat icecream with mine!!

#24 seayork2002

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:39 AM

Fruit salad to me is small pieces- can eat with whatever you want

Fruit pieces in a bowl/plate is just that also eaten with any implement

#25 Hollycoddle

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

Big pieces and fork. Same as what LemonMyrtle said (which is actually big to me) but I'd throw the grapes in whole. You want it to be crisp, not soggy and soup-like which is what happens if you macerate it.

That's if I were serving it to others. I don't actually eat it myself. I like fruit but whole, not cut up and all mixed together with the juices mingling. Yuck.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 07 December 2019 - 09:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.