How to reduce kids shower time?

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:02 AM

Same old story, one particular child (teen) takes long showers (think 5min+) even when not washing their hair (those hair times blow out to about 10mins).

Now, as we know, we are in a drought and trying to be reduce our water usage. We are in a rental, we are trying to be waterwise and I'm very aware this particular child takes longer showers.

I've tried setting timers, I've suggested listening to a particular song (but then they just loop it and stay in longer anyway).

I'm feeling frustrated and am sick of reminding this child to shorten their showers. I'm sick of being the water monitor :(

So, help please? My next step is going to be shutting off the water tap to the house at 3mins.

Thanks

#2 Grassyrat

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:11 AM

Take the next step. Turn the water off. My parents used to do this as we lived on tank water. They'll soon get the idea. 3 mins is all you need for a normal shower, 5 to wash hair

#3 Riotproof

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

I think turning off the water is the most clever natural consequences idea. After all that is what will happen in reality.

#4 cvbn

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:21 AM

My 10 year DD is a bit dreamy and her showers were blowing out. We are on rain and all tank water so they cant!

I caught her again, just standing there, so I made her have a tub bath for her next wash.

I explained if we run out of water, we will ALL be having tub baths.

That seems to have helped.

Good luck.

(By tub bath, a small rubber tub trug, half filled with water, soap and a flannel)

Edited by cvbn, 08 December 2019 - 09:22 AM.

#5 aluminium

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:24 AM

View PostGrassyrat, on 08 December 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:

Take the next step. Turn the water off. My parents used to do this as we lived on tank water. They'll soon get the idea. 3 mins is all you need for a normal shower, 5 to wash hair

This.
My entire childhood. :)

#6 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:27 AM

10 minutes isn't a long shower. I would take a trip to Bunnings and getting a low flow shower head. Preferably a hand held one. Less water used for same shower time. They cost about $50

#7 purpleduck

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:29 AM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 08 December 2019 - 09:27 AM, said:

10 minutes isn't a long shower. I would take a trip to Bunnings and getting a low flow shower head. Preferably a hand held one. Less water used for same shower time. They cost about $50

Already low flow and also hand held. Plus we are in a drought. It is everyone's responsibility to reduce their water use.

I also disagree - 10mins is a long shower. If we had tank water, consistent rain, then it wouldn't be an issue. But that's not our reality right now.

Edited by purpleduck, 08 December 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#8 JomoMum

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:30 AM

Problem with these shower heads .. they are typically so inefficient that you need longer to wash shampoo out etc so it can be a bit of a false economy.

I agree with others above - turn the water off :)

#9 TrixieBelden

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:44 AM

This attitude sux and is wildly out of step with reality in huge swathes of Australia and the world.

Turn the water off, or the hot water.

#10 IamtheMumma

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

I had/have this problem too. Its so frustrating.

Set the timer for 4 mins and 5 mins. First timer says wash all the soap off. Second timer is get out of the shower. At 5 mins, you turn the water off if the kids isn't out.

#11 qak

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:55 AM

10 minutes isn't a long shower.

10 mins is ridiculous when we are in drought.
3 mins is plenty.

#12 purpleduck

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:57 AM

Part of the pushback I get is that the water temp doesn't regulate well, so there is a bit at the beginning of the shower where it will be too cold/hot etc. I can cope with this but it shouldn't blow out times by 2+mins

#13 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:00 AM

How do people have 3 minute showers.

Soap from the toes up.

Shampoo rubbed in

Shampoo out.

Rinse all over.

Conditioner in.

Face scrub.

Loufer.

Rinse conditioner out.

Get out.

#14 Vicbitt9

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:06 AM

PPs have said 5 min for washing hair. The drought is real people!
Thanks to those who are trying so hard to conserve water!

#15 #notallcats

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:08 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 08 December 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

Part of the pushback I get is that the water temp doesn't regulate well, so there is a bit at the beginning of the shower where it will be too cold/hot etc. I can cope with this but it shouldn't blow out times by 2+mins

We had that with our low flow so I do sympathise with him.  Bunnings guy told us in was common for older homes/pipes..  You're in a rental so probably can't change it but I agree with pp, it's a false economy.

I'd cut off the water too, you've given a warning.  It is frustrating though, it means you have monitor it.

#16 purpleduck

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 08 December 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

Soap from the toes up. I only do my underarms and maybe feet :ninja:

Shampoo rubbed in

Shampoo out.

Rinse all over. - more likely to do this step at the end after conditioner

Conditioner in.

Face scrub. - don't do this, just rub my face with my towel well when I get out

Loufer. - see above

Rinse conditioner out.

Rinse all over

Get out.

I do usually end up with 5mins though (sometimes timer is up to 7mins - this include bucket collection of cold water at the beginning of the shower) . I wash my hair most days but if I don't, I'm definitely out within 2-3mins. I think that is what annoys me the most. I was assuming my long haired teen was spending large amounts of time due to hair washing... but no.... that was when they went up to 10mins when I bothered to query why so long :no2:

Edited by purpleduck, 08 December 2019 - 10:12 AM.

#17 #notallcats

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:10 AM

Soap from the toes up.

Shampoo rubbed in

Shampoo out.

Rinse all over.

Conditioner in.

Face scrub.

Loufer.

Rinse conditioner out.

Get out.

Face scrub, etc can be done before getting in.  Soap up when the conditioner is on.

#18 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:11 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 08 December 2019 - 09:57 AM, said:

We had a drought in Auckland NZ in the 90s. To the point at school and home we were doing " yellow let it mellow, brown flush it down" for the toilets. Put a bucket in your shower to catch the start of " too cold water" and use it for other uses, like flushing the toilet etc.

#19 gracie1978

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:13 AM

I've got mine down to three minutes.  However we don't have a low flow shower head so it's a lot easier for me to wash my hair.
I grew up in the country and have memories of brown water from the bottom of the tank :(

DP drives me nuts and just stands there until the hot water runs out ... 15 min +

#20 IamtheMumma

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:18 AM

Soap from the toes up.

Shampoo rubbed in

Shampoo out.

Rinse all over.

Conditioner in.

Face scrub.

Loufer.

Rinse conditioner out.

Get out.

I'm sorry but that is not how showers happen with water restrictions.

No loufer, no face scrub (or maybe once a week) and no all over body lather. Armpits, under boobs and vagina and feet. Arms and legs get washed with rinse off water. I use a shampoo bar and wash my hair twice a week. Haven't used conditioner for years.

#21 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:18 AM

Soap from the toes up.

Shampoo rubbed in

Shampoo out.

Rinse all over.

Conditioner in.

Face scrub.

Loufer.

Rinse conditioner out.

Get out.

Get wet

Shampoo in

Face scrub

Wash off

Second shampoo

Wash body

Wash off

Conditioner and shaving legs and underarms is needed (once or twice a week)

Rinse off

Get out

It takes under 5 minutes!! 10 minutes is overkill.

OP I turn the water off when mine are taking too long, they have figured it out and are down to 5 minutes.

If they want to loiter in water, they can get in the damn pool!!

Edited by ~J_F~, 08 December 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#22 purpleduck

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:25 AM

View Post#notallcats, on 08 December 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

I'd cut off the water too, you've given a warning.  It is frustrating though, it means you have monitor it.

This is what I find the most draining, I've just advised the teen that they need to be reducing to 4mins for non-hair days and 6mins for hair days, but this means it comes down to me each bloody morning to be monitoring all this (and then I'll need to do the next child too to be fair as teen made a face when I said they were spending the longest in the shower).

#23 JomoMum

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 08 December 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

I'm sorry but that is not how showers happen with water restrictions.

No loufer, no face scrub (or maybe once a week) and no all over body lather. Armpits, under boobs and vagina and feet. Arms and legs get washed with rinse off water. I use a shampoo bar and wash my hair twice a week. Haven't used conditioner for years.

Agree. Wash hair twice a week.

My entire body doesn’t not need lathering or a loofer every wash. The sweaty bits get a soaping and that’s it, and it’s done during conditioner time, about 1-2 mins when I wash hair.
I wash my face in the 30 second the water is warming up.

#24 Gudrun

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:46 AM

All these showers are a cultural thing as is all the hairwashing.  Difficult to change that but worth looking at.

Cat's licks in between.  Hairwashing not more often than once a week.

In the old days... and in other countries...

#25 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:51 AM

Get wet - 10s

Shampoo in - 20s

Shampoo out - 20s

Conditioner in - 20s

Wash body - 30s

Face wash - 10s max

Rinse hair and face - 30s max

Think about life and avoiding kids - 20s

Total - 2 minutes 40s

I have easy care hair though.

Shaving works add 2 minutes probably.

I agree with turning  off the water. I just tell my kids when time is up but they are young. If they don't form it off I turn it off for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.