Illegally parking in a disabled spot

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Grinchette

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:53 AM

There is a woman who parks in the disabled parking every week at our local pool.  The parking is atrocious at our centre and often I drop my oldest off at the drop off bay then park up the road & walk back, so yes it's frustrating.

The same car  each week casually drives up and parks in one of the 4 disabled spots out the front and takes her child in for lessons, while others doing the right thing circle the main carpark sometimes for 15 minutes before finding a spot.  I again saw her today- no permit (nor did it appear to need one) looked in her early 30's with a 4 year old walking in front of her.  Same car, parks illegally in the turning bay if all the disabled spots are gone.  Would you report her?  She may not actually care about the fine (she drives a ridiculously expensive Mercedes), and it's always 11.45 am on Sundays (12.00 pm lesson I assume), so I don't even know if there is anyone I can ring?

Edited by Gumbette, 08 December 2019 - 10:55 AM.

#2 ~Bob~

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:56 AM

Snap, send solve.

#3 Grinchette

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:58 AM

I don't know if Ryde council does that?

Not that it makes THAT much of a difference - but there was a lot of street parking available today - about 20 metres from the front door.  Even I didn't need to do a drop & run.  She appears to just be an a*se.

Edited by Gumbette, 08 December 2019 - 10:59 AM.

#4 Luci

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:06 AM

You could phone Ryde Council and ask them. They will have a general number for inquiries on their website, you don't have to give your name when you call.

#5 JomoMum

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:09 AM

If it was bothering me that much (and things like that do tend to bother me), I would probably say to her when I see her next get out of the car “excuse me, you seem to have forgotten to display your disabled parking permit”.

See how she handles it. Otherwise, take a photo and send as above. Or provide to pool operator and council.

#6 Sentient Puddle

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:17 AM

Snap Send Solve!!

#7 Grinchette

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:21 AM

Yep it's bothering me.  Just off the top of my head there is at least 2 people that swim at the same time that have cerebral palsy.  One has a carer (he's older) that accompanies him.  Another mum brings her son who has ASD (who's around 15), and he's a runner - she needs that spot.

Just rang the pool.  They don't care, it's a Council issue.

Edited by Gumbette, 08 December 2019 - 11:21 AM.

#8 literally nobody

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:36 PM

Leave a note on her windscreen saying you will report her if she continues to park there.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:47 PM

Ryde council has come up as the one when I did a dummy go in snap send solve. I would take a photo, and if she’s regularly doing it at the same time of day, I’d advise that too.

#10 mm1981

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:54 PM

Lol, I was thinking to myself that she probably drives an expensive car. Let me guess, is it a 4wd too?

I know "not all" expensive car drivers are entitled pests. But in my (perhaps biased) experience the worst offenders for illegal parking are drivers of expensive European 4wds.

#11 FloralArrangement

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:56 PM

Leave a note saying that she needs an appropriate permit to park in the spot. No permit no parking. But I would send snap and solve with clear photos of no permit and licence plate. Do it every time time until she gets the message.

We have a permit for our son, we don’t use if he is doing well physically and we don’t use if we have forgotten the permit.

#12 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:57 PM

Take a photo and send it every time - hopefully the council will get sick of seeing the same car and start to book her.

Who knows, she may do it in other areas within that council too?

#13 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:57 PM

How infuriating. I would dob her in with relish.

#14 magic_marker

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:10 PM

You could leave a not on her windshield saying

Ignorance & arrogance is not a disability.

#15 Grinchette

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:10 PM

View Postmm1981, on 08 December 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Lol, I was thinking to myself that she probably drives an expensive car. Let me guess, is it a 4wd too?

I know "not all" expensive car drivers are entitled pests. But in my (perhaps biased) experience the worst offenders for illegal parking are drivers of expensive European 4wds.

Mercedes GLS350.  Yep to both.

BTW#notall4WDS

#16 Pearson

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:21 PM

There is a fb page to publicly shame her too? If she keeps doing it....

#17 #notallcats

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:28 PM

Please don't do the FB shaming thing.  Public shaming on social media is truly awful part of society, and potentially very dangerous.  While it appears she is using it illegally, it could be she's forgetting to display the sticker.   Even if illegal, she does not deserve every potential idiot out there going after her.  

Report to council, or leave a note reminding her she needs a display sticker.

#18 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:03 PM

Yes please report her. We have a permit for our son who is in a wheelchair and it bugs me no end when people who are not entitled to use disabled parking.

#19 Living Type

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:29 PM

Yes please report her. As a valid user of these spaces I thank you a lot for caring

#20 SummerStar

Posted 08 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

Disabled spots on private property are not usually enforceable. They are put there for guests but they are not patrolled or usually fine-able. If it's council property they can. Snap send solve is probably the best way if they are going to or able to do anything.

But it is hard to get people fined for doing it unless a ranger or police catch them first hand. I have been told this by council and police when dealing with an issue relating to disabled spots before.

At my last job we had a disabled spot, small medical car park and the practice manager would allow anyone who couldn't find a spot to use it because it's not enforceable on their private property. And we have reported them in shopping centres in the past when there has been no permit, and they centre management say they can't actually do anything about it but they do call over the speaker for the car to move. If they don't, nothing can be done because it's private property and rangers don't patrol it and issue fines there.

Edited by SummerStar, 08 December 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#21 Murderino

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

I did snap send solve on the tiny, very expensive Ferrari parked across the disabled park plus the one beside at my local post office. He made it easy as he reversed in so I only needed one pic to get the car, the rego, the lack of permit and the parking sign.

#22 theworldsgonemad

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:34 PM

Definitely dob her in!  An abled bodied person has no idea what an impact those spots can have on a pwd's day until they've actually been there!

#23 night jasmine

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:27 PM

View Postmm1981, on 08 December 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

I recall reading a study about this. Drivers of luxury cars are 20% less likely to stop for pedestrians or some such.

#24 chicken_bits

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:34 PM

I didn't realise that parking in a disabled parking space without a permit was actually illegal?

I'm actually a permit holder and it frustrates me to no end when people use spaces when they don't have a permit.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:27 PM

View PostSummerStar, on 08 December 2019 - 02:34 PM, said:

Disabled spots on private property are not usually enforceable. They are put there for guests but they are not patrolled or usually fine-able. If it's council property they can. Snap send solve is probably the best way if they are going to or able to do anything.

But it is hard to get people fined for doing it unless a ranger or police catch them first hand. I have been told this by council and police when dealing with an issue relating to disabled spots before.

At my last job we had a disabled spot, small medical car park and the practice manager would allow anyone who couldn't find a spot to use it because it's not enforceable on their private property. And we have reported them in shopping centres in the past when there has been no permit, and they centre management say they can't actually do anything about it but they do call over the speaker for the car to move. If they don't, nothing can be done because it's private property and rangers don't patrol it and issue fines there.

Police patrol private properties especially if you report a repeat offender. Our Westfield is patrolled regularly by police who happily dish out infringement notices.

The council deal with council areas.....the local pool is generally a council area unless it is privately owned.

Edited by Soontobegran, 08 December 2019 - 07:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.