Frozen 2

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:21 PM

I’d heard some negative things, but we did really enjoy it.

I did think it was a bit scary in places, but I spoke to dd before about how when movies get scary it usually ends up fine.
Dd is absolutely thrilled about the ending. I can see it leaves the way open for 3.

Edited by Riotproof, 09 December 2019 - 12:22 PM.

#2 eachschoolholidays

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

I quite liked the storyline but wasn't that keen on the music

#3 ineedmorecoffee

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

We thought it was more sophisticated than the first movie and enjoyed watching it. DD is obsessed with Frozen again and already singing the theme song on loop.

I just don't like how you can't enter a single store without running into Frozen 2 merchandise, especially when you already have all the crap from the first movie.

#4 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:58 PM

I LOVE the music. Into the unknown has been in my head for a solid week now.

I thought it was good. I was worried it was going to be too scary, but DD (who only just got over her fear of beauty and the beast) loved it.

I know a LOT of the storyline went over her head, but it was the first movie that I just sat and watched in ages. I truly enjoyed it.

#5 RocktonResident

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:06 PM

If you haven't already, check out the version of Panic! At the Disco singing Into The Unknown. I think I prefer it to the original version.

The only thing I didn't like was the Kristoff song. It was so cringey and boy band-ish.

DD6 was thrilled when we went to see it because the cinema had someone dressed as Elsa, so she got to "meet" her.

#6 Freddie'sMum

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:23 PM

The only thing I know about it is that the running time is 2 hours long !  I looked at the kids and just said "no, I am not spending 2 plus hours watching Frozen at the movies".

#7 Riotproof

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

View PostFreddie, on 09 December 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

The only thing I know about it is that the running time is 2 hours long !  I looked at the kids and just said "no, I am not spending 2 plus hours watching Frozen at the movies".

It didn’t feel that long, tbh.

Can’t you have a nap?

#8 spr_maiden

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:51 PM

I was disappointed that the focus was on romantic love and marriage so much,  especially when what helped make the first film so great was the shift in focus on sisterly love.

I did enjoy it though. My children both preferred it over the first film, the action scenes were pretty good. Olaf's dilemma was a hoot. And I think Kristof's song was a great p*sstake of boy bands and Queen.
I admit to blubbering my eyes out during the Next Right Thing. I feel you Anna sister, I feel you.

#9 Mose

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:22 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 09 December 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

It didn’t feel that long, tbh.

Can’t you have a nap?

A friend of mine listens to podcasts at children's movies.

#10 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:24 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 09 December 2019 - 01:51 PM, said:

I was disappointed that the focus was on romantic love and marriage so much,  especially when what helped make the first film so great was the shift in focus on sisterly love.

I dunno, I kinda liked that it was Kristoff that was was the pining romantic one back at camp and Anna had stuff to do and adventures to go on. Kirsten Bell did an interview about how she liked that it gave boys a role model for talking about their big feelings and it being ok.

#11 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

View PostRocktonResident, on 09 December 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

If you haven't already, check out the version of Panic! At the Disco singing Into The Unknown. I think I prefer it to the original version.

The only thing I didn't like was the Kristoff song. It was so cringey and boy band-ish.

Yes to PATD version, it's fab.

And I thought the Kristoff 'into the woods' was hilarious! A total p*ss-take of the whole 1980s/Wham/power rock ballet/terrible video clip deal.

#12 Ellie bean

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostNot Escapin Xmas, on 09 December 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

And I thought the Kristoff 'into the woods' was hilarious! A total p*ss-take of the whole 1980s/Wham/power rock ballet/terrible video clip deal.
Me too, it was hilarious

#13 reachforthestars

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:43 PM

I did too! I loved this movie, not perfect but it was so much darker and more complex than the first. Loved the songs too. I'd see it again.

#14 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:55 PM

View Postineedmorecoffee, on 09 December 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I just don't like how you can't enter a single store without running into Frozen 2 merchandise, especially when you already have all the crap from the first movie.

I have 7 & 9yo girls so we were the target age group for the first movie the first time.  We are going to see Frozen 2 but I hope they don't get back into it too much or DS get into it..... I was sooooo sick of the songs from the first movie. :D

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 09 December 2019 - 02:57 PM.

#15 Riotproof

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:05 PM

View Postineedmorecoffee, on 09 December 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

We thought it was more sophisticated than the first movie and enjoyed watching it. DD is obsessed with Frozen again and already singing the theme song on loop.

Yes, there is a lot of merchandise. I wouldn’t mind getting dd the Queen Anna costume but only Disney store has it currently.

I don’t really mind it, because dd was too young for the first one. We only have hand me downs. And I did buy a bento box.

#16 Freddie'sMum

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

I could definitely nap during the movie - but I snore, so that's out.  The movies make more money through the merchandising these days than what the box office takes.

#17 Jamelex

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:20 PM

I liked how Kristoff stayed back and the girls had the adventure.
Also, when Anna got back, Kristoff said ‘what do you need?’, Anna told him and he was just ‘ok, let’s do it’. No ‘are you sure’ or ‘why’ or ‘do you think that’s a good idea’ or any other kind of question that undermines what she said. He just trusted that she knew what she was doing and I thought that was awesome.

#18 .Jerry.

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:27 PM

I have never seen Frozen 1.  That is despite my daughter being obsessed with it at the time and watching it over and over.  Her dad and aunt took her to see it at the movies multiple times and the DVD player is conveniently in her playroom. ;)

But I drew the "short straw" in going to Frozen 2 with her.  We went to Gold Class, so I got to have wine there. ;)  

Secretly I enjoyed the movie.
I think the subtexts in the movie go completely over the top of the kids' heads.
I thought the theme of colonialism and overtaking the indigenous peoples was reasonably well done.  The aspect of "racism" and fear of the unknown peoples was a good reflection of people's fears and I like how that was resolved with Elsa at the end.
The romance made me roll my eyes but it certainly was the male pining after the adventurous female, so somewhat saved it.
The females are still the heroes of this movie.

I totally missed the "Elsa is gay" and came out theme.  Not sure it is there.  Doesn't have to be in my opinion.  Why it can't just be a strong female who is single is beyond me.

Overall, it was better than I thought.
Music was average.  My favourite was "Show yourself", though my interpretation of that to DD was that it was about showing yourself what you can do when you are brave.

#19 Charli73

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:58 PM

Took my DD7 and her bestie and us mums went too and we both enjoyed it although there was much more going on..
I didn’t get it i the music as much but have bought the CD for my DD from Santa. They dressed up for the movies and looked pretty cute...

The 80’s take on the Kristoff song was pretty funny..

#20 spr_maiden

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:14 PM

Yeah,  good points on the Kristoff/Anna theme re not questioning her p.o.v and him pining. I didn't think of it like that, so you've made it better for me. Plus the search for family roots and adventuring young women was very cool.

I was slightly mesmerized by the wave graphics(word?) also. So well done I thought.

#21 spr_maiden

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

I thought the gay Elsa theme was just an online joke? I loved that she rode off into the "sunset" as a solo woman.

#22 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:21 PM

I thought it was great. I laughed and had a few tears!

I don’t think Elsa is gay - or I totally missed something!

I did like that the sisters were the bridge between the two worlds!

I think it is a good movie overall with strong female leads!

#23 kimasa

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

DH commented that it produced a wide range of costumes to be sold, lots of dress changes.

But I legitimately enjoyed it, good storyline.

#24 MagsJee

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostJamelex, on 09 December 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

I liked how Kristoff stayed back and the girls had the adventure.
Also, when Anna got back, Kristoff said ‘what do you need?’, Anna told him and he was just ‘ok, let’s do it’. No ‘are you sure’ or ‘why’ or ‘do you think that’s a good idea’ or any other kind of question that undermines what she said. He just trusted that she knew what she was doing and I thought that was awesome.

I also liked that he said his love wasn't fragile when Anna became Queen and was apologising for things being hectic (and that she wasn't concentrating on him)

Edited by MagsJee, 12 December 2019 - 07:31 PM.

#25 Flutters

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

I really enjoyed it, especially as the mum of young girls. I liked the messages and with regards to the scary parts I didn’t think they went for long. Paddington 2 with the scene where he is stuck in the cage and falls in the river....I still get anxious about how long that stupid scene went for. I thought the preview for frozen2 seemed quite dark, so I was nicely surprised that the “scary” parts werent long. My 4 year old almost didn’t have enough time during them to get out of her seat and climb up into my lap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.