Christmas present suggestions for adults please

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ~*Lou*~

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:10 PM

I need Christmas present suggestions for my mother, father and husband. Yes you’d think I’d know what to buy them but I don’t. If I can’t come up with something clever or well thought out, they will all get gift vouchers or I may buy them an animals from World Vision.

What do you do about hard-to-buy-for, won’t-make-helpful-suggestions-of-what-they-would-like type adults??

Lou :)

#2 AllyK81

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:33 PM

If it is really hard to think of something and you're just buying something for the sake of it why not just ditch presents for the adults?

We did a few years ago. We all bring a really nice bottle of wine to share on Christmas Day and leave it at that.

It is so hard to find ideas, time and money for buying gifts for adults who generally buy what they want and need as they go.

#3 2_little_boys

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:42 PM

MIL - I usually get earrings when I have no idea

Hubby - I struggle because he just buys when he sees something he likes.

FIL - this year I bought him 2 tickets to the Coopers Brewery tour.

#4 MarciaB

Posted 09 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

What do your parents like?

Would they like tickets to a show or movie tickets?  Weekend away?

I always buy my Mum a magazine subscription (I mix it up each year with different ones) and a box of gardening stuff.

MIL - I am giving a selection of Teas from T2 with a small thermos as she has actually asked for that.

DH this year is getting a new Swiss Army knife as he lost his treasured 30 year old one on our last camping trip.  Will add in some new fitness gear (jogging shorts and singlets, some socks etc as his current gear is looking a bit worse for wear).

#5 babybug15

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

I have this problem every year.

One year I did buy everyone a pair of socks and a voucher (different ones of each for each person) They were easy to post and whilst it was a joke I did get feedback that they were used.

I few years ago I clued into the fact that one of the "difficult to buy for" adults enjoy the cricket, so now they get tickets to a Big Bash Game every year and they seem quite happy with that.

This year the rest of the difficult to buy for people are getting a variety of food/drink type gifts. So the person who is low FODMAP is getting some gormet "FODMAP friendly" sauces and chutneys. The person who I know drinks beer is getting a six pack of fancy craft beers. The person who I know likes white wine is getting a bottle from one of our local wineries.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:21 PM

Food hampers? Not the pre-prepared ones, but individually put together with items you know they love but wouldnt normally but for themselves?

#7 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

My dad is getting a basket of wine and beer, chocolate and pickled onions. Making the basket up myself.

#8 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:32 PM

Things I have bought over the last few years .....

My mother (& MIL)
- magazine subscription for 12 months (Marie Claire for my mum, some golf magazine for MIL although it used to be a travel magazine)
- gift voucher for a theatre for them to use on a show later in the year
- plants for the garden or some kind of gardening-related gift
- bluetooth speaker - A couple of years ago, we bought MIL a bluetooth speaker. She would have never thought to buy that for herself, but she loves it (she takes it outside with her while she is gardening to listen to ABC radio, it moves around the house with her)
- gift voucher for favourite local beauty salon

FIL (my dad passed away a few years ago)
- books/book voucher
- tickets to a sporting event
- restaurant/cafe voucher for his favourite cafe. He's a bit of a MAMIL, so we buy him a $50-$75 credit with his favourite cycling cafe, he likes that.

DH
- brewing kit
- quad bike experience voucher
- barista/coffee course (he's mad for coffee)
- cycling gear
- clothes (he doesn't ever shop for clothes himself, he takes no notice of clothes)
- wine/craft beer

#9 Jersey Caramel

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

A nice framed photo of the kids/ family always goes down well with our parents.

I also agree with the magazine subscription as that is the kind of thing that you often wouldn't buy for yourself but is fun to receive in the post every month or two.  

My mum/MiL have enjoyed an eco-friendly kitchen gift pack I put together - beeswax food wraps,  reusable produce bags,  keep cup, stainless steel straws, teatowel etc in a nice string grocery bag.

#10 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:32 PM

I often like to buy people something that I’ve bought myself during the year and found to be really useful. I’ve done reusable shopping bags, best ever tea towels, a book I really enjoyed, and this year the best reusable coffee cup. The people who don’t drink takeaway coffee will get something else of course!

#11 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:15 PM

Christmas themed rashie if they go to the beach or Beach towels

Silicone storage bags (instead of plastics bags), keep cup, beeswax wraps, silicone straws, etc

Inappropriate gift company gift (warning: not suitable for work or many families!)

Dymocks book voucher or iTunes voucher (purchased when 20% off LOL)

Restaurant voucher

Movie tickets

Alcohol

Edited by NotBitzerMaloney, 09 December 2019 - 07:15 PM.

#12 raspberry sherbert

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

We are doing Australian Women's health diaries for mum and mil and movie tickets for dad and fil

#13 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

For things that are completely different...

Minimuseum

#14 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

Weird double post

Edited by QuisbySchmoo, 09 December 2019 - 07:48 PM.

#15 -Emissary-

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:58 PM

Depending on budget I guess:

Adult presents I like to give include:
Female:
- neck scarf
- straw hat
- earrings
- candles
- diffuser
- beach towels
- perfume

Males:
- board games
- t-shirts
- headphones
- wallet

#16 JomoMum

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:11 PM

They get handmade gifts from the 6 year old. Usually cheap, but heartfelt.

We don’t buy for the adults in DH’s family, but my (37yo) sister and own father are incredibly childish when it comes to getting presents for occasions like birthdays, Christmas and Father’s Day etc so they get the handmade stuff now.

ETA personally I am very big on not having “stuff” just for the sake of having it. I hate the notion of having to buy something just because :(

Edited by JomoMum, 09 December 2019 - 08:12 PM.

#17 Bearynice

Posted 09 December 2019 - 08:44 PM

Mother: what about magazine subscription, fancy hand creams, summer hat, earrings (blue bungalow is great shop and has fast shipping or look at birdsnest)

Father: magazine subscription, gardening stuff, new shirt,

Husband: funny T-shirt, foodie hamper of fav foods, Gold class movie voucher, new work bag/ travel accessory

#18 Hands Up

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

This year I bought DH stainless steel coffee pods, my mum a phone case with her initials monogrammed on and for Dad I got coffee and fancy golf balls. None of them are particularly exciting presents but they’ll be happy!

#19 Delillah1

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

How about a Palace Movie club membership? Excludes SA though.
https://www.palaceci...-reward-points/

#20 Ivy Ivy

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

babybug15, on 09 December 2019 - 02:12 PM, said:

One year I did buy everyone a pair of socks and a voucher (different ones of each for each person) They were easy to post and whilst it was a joke I did get feedback that they were used.

I give socks all the time, interesting or expensive socks people wouldn't tend to buy for themselves.  (I assume everyone is like me, living in Target staples when buying for self.)
I figure, well, at least they get used.

#21 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:23 PM

Ivy Ivy, on 09 December 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

I give socks all the time, interesting or expensive socks people wouldn't tend to buy for themselves.  (I assume everyone is like me, living in Target staples when buying for self.)
I figure, well, at least they get used.

I love getting socks! I have a winter birthday so always ask for socks.

My mum is also getting some lovely olive oil, and my dad a big bag of coffee beans. DH was getting gin but tonight declared he’s going to stop drinking gin, so back to the drawing board for him.

#22 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:08 PM

Oh, a few years ago I got some scented drawer liners for my mother ("fresh linen" was the scent). She absolutely loved it! Cost about $20 for a box of 6 liners I think.

I had forgotten all about that. Off to see if I can find them again for this year ....

#23 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

22Fruitmincepies, on 09 December 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

DH was getting gin but tonight declared he’s going to stop drinking gin, so back to the drawing board for him.
ha ha, is that because he was getting sick of always getting gin-related gifts?

My DH tells his family that he has stopped drinking beer so that they stop buying it for him (craft beers) for every birthday and Xmas. He would prefer to buy his own, LOL!

#24 kimasa

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

QuisbySchmoo, on 09 December 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

For things that are completely different...

Minimuseum

That's so cool. I want one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.