Hand soap recommendations

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 400

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:53 AM

We have been using Thank You hand soap for quite a long time (basically since DS was born) as it inexpensive, smells better than most soaps and didn’t dry out my hands like many others did, or so I thought.

DH (SAHD) has been complaining for months about dry hands but I assumed it was because he was regularly washing his trady hands for the first time in his life, and I didn’t notice anything myself. Until... I started maternity leave and am washing my hands at home all the time (thanks to 18 month old DS). At work I have to frequently wash my hands and have never had this kind of trouble, now they are so cracked and dry, even my favourite L’occitane hand cream can’t bring them back while I’m still using the Thank You soap. In the past I have had trouble with harsh soaps that brought on quite bad dermatitis, I’m hoping to avoid that and get it under control ASAP as the new baby is coming any day now.

I love soaps like Aesop but that’s not really a viable option for frequent use financially.

Any recommendations for a good hand soap for very frequent use? Criteria: non-drying but no yucky residue, doesn’t smell like a toilet cleaner, ideally a good company that’s not destroying the environment, minimal harsh chemicals and cheap enough to not have to ration.

Thanks!

#2 can'tstayaway

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:22 PM

Get a foaming dispenser and use the preferred Aesop in it diluted down.

https://www.everten....BCABEgJYTPD_BwE

I find many of the expensive soaps to be quite concentrated so you don’t need much but my kids use lots and then it takes ages to rinse off fully too.

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:25 PM

I just use sorbolene cream as a “soap” seems to work just as well and my hands stay soft. A big pump pack from woolies doesn’t cost much.  Or a soap free baby wash, if you truly want that soap experience. Or just use plain water whenever possible.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:30 PM

I resorted to a bar of velvet soap. Non scented as well.

I ended up with epic cracks down the side of my fingernails from all of the liquid soaps.

#5 Jersey Caramel

Posted 10 December 2019 - 01:40 PM

I have sensitive skin and tend to use a big pump pack of cleanser from any of the pharmacy skincare ranges designed for sensitive skin - e.g. Alpha Keri, Cetaphil, QV. Just whichever one is on special.  They are usually in 1L pump packs (designed to be used as body wash in the shower,  I guess) so even though they are around $12-15 on special,  you can fill 3 or 4 hand soap pumps with it.

#6 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 December 2019 - 02:14 PM

I didn't change soaps but I did start using good hand moisturiser when I was home all the time with babies/toddlers and washing my hands frequently. It's part of my standard gift pack to new mums actually!

I used to use Crabtree and Evelyn hand cream, but they have gone down the gurgler.

Now i use Rosken Skin Repair Intensive Moisture Hand Cream - cheap as chips from Woolies, works a treat! Pop it in my hand bag or whatever when I am on the go too.

But I also found better soaps tended to reduce the hand dryness/reactions as well.

#7 Ellie bean

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:14 PM

QV  gentle wash in a foaming dispenser

#8 magic_marker

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:31 PM

I've started using the Euca products.
Hand wash. Laundry Powder. Dishwashing Powder etc
And l can buy it in bulk.

#9 400

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the ideas!

I think using a bar is out of the question as DH doesn’t have the best soap courtesy and it would end up looking like it’s been rolled in the garden.

I hadn’t thought of the QV/cetaphil idea- I actually use these soap alternatives in the shower, the only issue with those for hand washing is that they have no smell. Which is fine for most washes and I’ll definitely start using them but on the occasion of stinky hands it might not cut it.

Love the idea of the foam dispenser with a good quality soap. Even the lower amount alone is probably enough to mitigate the soap effect on my hands, I do feel that I get heaps with each pump.

I’ll look into the other soap/hand cream options too.

Thanks heaps!

#10 cvbn

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:37 PM

The cheap hand wash from Woolies. My DD had frightful dry hands and this stuff works a treat. Super cheap too. Its white with a blue label

https://www.woolwort...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by cvbn, 10 December 2019 - 06:38 PM.

#11 FEdeRAL

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:41 PM

I swear by Sukin handwash.

#12 cvbn

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

View PostFEdeRAL, on 10 December 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

I swear by Sukin handwash.

Yes!

This is gorgeous (I buy it for gifts)

#13 JustCurious100

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

Only Good hand wash has worked a treat in our household

#14 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

I wash my hands constantly at work and get dermatitis so i use QV intensive wash

#15 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:30 PM

Have you ever tried aveeno baby wash?
https://www.woolwort...AiABEgKnmPD_BwE

I decanted some Into a hand wash pump pack. And I used it for hand washing and shaving my legs. It was really good. Non irritating. Has a light scent too. And since you have a baby, you can just use it for everything.

#16 ABabyPlease

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

I use Dove soap after a recommendation from EB after having DS. My hands improved significantly.

I use the bar but I think they have a liquid too.

#17 Froyohoho

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:00 PM

I'm prone to dermatitis from regular soap. I use QV Intensive Moisturising cleanser.

#18 Prancer is coming

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

I noticed bositos (think that spelling is right) had a hand soap out.  I really like their washing power and see their stuff as pretty good with avoiding added nasties.  I have been using the soap for about a month now and it is fine on my hands and smells nice.

#19 MooGuru

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostPrancer is coming, on 10 December 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

I noticed bositos (think that spelling is right) had a hand soap out.  I really like their washing power and see their stuff as pretty good with avoiding added nasties.  I have been using the soap for about a month now and it is fine on my hands and smells nice.

I've been wanting to try this.

PPs I can't believe I never thought to do the qv for hand wash. You are all brilliant.

#20 Pearson

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:12 PM

I've taken to making my own from the inspired little pot website. A foaming handwash. It has castile soap, water and some essential oils. My daughters hates the feel of any soap,  can just bear this.

Edited by Pearson, 10 December 2019 - 09:14 PM.

#21 Ellie bean

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:16 AM

View PostMooGuru, on 10 December 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

PPs I can't believe I never thought to do the qv for hand wash. You are all brilliant.
We have dispensers where you put in 1 part soap, 3 parts water, makes the QV foamy and it goes further.
I cant use any soap though, expensive is just as bad as cheap for me, it’s all soap.

#22 Pearson

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

View PostEllie bean, on 11 December 2019 - 12:16 AM, said:

We have dispensers where you put in 1 part soap, 3 parts water, makes the QV foamy and it goes further.
I cant use any soap though, expensive is just as bad as cheap for me, it’s all soap.

Have you tried castile soap? Generally made from oils like olive oil?
It has a very liquid consistency, and you dilute with water like you do your qv and use foamers.

#23 Ellie bean

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

^^I will keep an eye out for it and give it a go, thanks

#24 magic_marker

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:06 PM

View PostPearson, on 11 December 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Have you tried castile soap? Generally made from oils like olive oil?
It has a very liquid consistency, and you dilute with water like you do your qv and use foamers.

Can you tell me what 'foamers' you use? I am putting in and order because Euca sell it.

#25 Pearson

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:39 PM

View Postmagicmrkeronashelf, on 11 December 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

Can you tell me what 'foamers' you use? I am putting in and order because Euca sell it.

I buy them from a local store
They're like this: https://www.biome.co...ASABEgJ66_D_BwE
I want this for bathroom: https://www.oilsforl...r/ceramic-600ml but $ are an issue right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.