Christmas dessert ideas please - dietary restrictions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ~*Lou*~

Posted 10 December 2019 - 04:50 PM

I need to take dessert to a Christmas function. There are a heap of dietary restrictions between 4 of the 10 guests. I’d like to take no more than 2 desserts, plus jelly cups for my children. Because we have a 90 min drive I can’t do my usual Variety of ice cream/sorbet and fresh fruit routine I normally do for this particular crowd.

One person - allergic to avocado, mango, banana

One person- avoids gluten (not coeliac) & banana

One person - avoids gluten, diary, nuts, eggs, no apple or pear, no Avocado, (These are not allergies)

One person - allergic to diary.

Suggestions please!!

#2 JBH

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:07 PM

Cut up lots of strawberries, drizzle with the syrup from a jar of ginger (although I haven’t checked gluten), serve with whipped coconut cream.

Alternatively, make aquafaba meringues and serve with raspberries, provide coconut yoghurt and whipped cream on the side.

Edited by JBH, 10 December 2019 - 05:08 PM.

#3 zenkitty

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

Eton mess with berries deals with the gluten avoiders - buy supermarket meringues, add cream & berries & a mint leaf so it looks festive.

This cake topped with berries deals with the dairy and egg issues, skip the nuts, and I have successfully made it with GF https://www.nigella....-chocolate-cake

Cake can have a dollop of cream added for the dairy-tolerant, so cream & berries can be used for both desserts to save buying zillions of different ingredients.

Edited by zenkitty, 10 December 2019 - 05:18 PM.

#4 lizzzard

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:17 PM

I’d just do a tropical fruit salad without the fruits above.

#5 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

Some sort of fruit tart made with a gluten free base with whipped coconut cream ( added bonus if you blow torch the coconut cream).

#6 MarciaB

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:29 PM

Could you do something like a pavlova (or whatever your choice of dessert would be assuming no intolerances) that 6/10 could consume - and then make up a large platter of chopped fruits, cherries berries, dark chocolate, and some coconut yoghurt or whipped coconut cream for anyone to assemble themselves?

Edited by MarciaB, 10 December 2019 - 05:29 PM.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:38 PM

I think I’d do something like this mud cake. GF and suits all bar one and the kids will probably enjoy it too.  swap butter for nuttelex for the dairy free people.

https://www.recipeti...chocolate-cake/

To be honest I’d probably do acceptable fruits (berries?), and buy a packet dessert from Coles or Woolies specially made to be egg, nut, dairy and gluten free.

#8 ghost_cat

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

Claudia Roden's whole orange and almond cake, with coconut yoghurt and blueberries.  Easy to make and the cake is lovely made the night before.

Not dairy free, but Nigella's nutella cheesecake is another that is easy to make and a dream to make the night before.  Does need a bit of refrigeration though before serving.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

https://www.healthyf...-and-date-balls

Or

https://www.thekitch...e-kitchn-181467

And some fresh berries.

I would also consider just making jelly cups for everyone.

#10 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:54 PM

marshmallows, nut free rocky road and a dairy free alternative.

Some sort of gluten free, dairy free, marshmallow slice would be nice and easy.

#11 Silverstreak

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:43 PM

You could do a chocolate slice with Sweet William dairy and gluten free chocolate, gluten free rice puffs (not rice bubbles) and Nuttelex? Kind of like a mars bar slice.

(I am not dairy or gluten free, so someone correct me if any of these ingredients are problematic.)

#12 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

Woolworths sell a gluten free Christmas pudding. It is also dairy free, egg free and I don’t think contains any of the fruits on the no list

https://www.woolwort...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’d also be quite happy with a jelly cup and fruit though! Sweet William chocolate have gluten, nut and dairy free chocolate Santa’s too, so you could do Santa in a jelly cup :)

#13 Prancer is coming

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:39 PM

I have one kid gluten free and another egg free.  To be honest, when you try and cater for several dietary requirements in the one dish, it tastes horrible!  The person with the most dietary restrictions might enjoy it, but I am not sure you will!

Tasty gf and egg free desserts I make are cheesecake and caramel slice.  I used gf crushed biscuits for the base and the flavour of the cheesecake is whatever flavour block of chocolate I use that is gluten free.  Peppermint would be fine for all the fruit allergies.  With the caramel slice, I use gf flour in the base.

That just leaves the dairy free ones.  I am not up with that, so I think a fruit salad would take care of them.  Alternatively, make the dessert you enjoy making/eating and have a fruit salad for everyone else.

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:54 PM

Lindt 70% dark chocolate is dairy free, add in nuts & mini marshmallows, set in a mini muffin pan & its rocky road.

The pascals brand marshmallows state they are free from gluten, but not wheat (glucose syrup is made from wheat) -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.