How many/what kind of crackers/snacks do you eat each week?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:38 AM

I'm trying to menu plan (have succeeded for dinners) and am now looking at morning/afternoon tea options for my family, particularly with school holidays coming up. (3 kids)

We often buy Jatz/rice crackers / corn or rice cakes etc, then I will usually have some fruit or carrot sticks etc, cheese.

My main concern is too much salt or too much sugar and also stupidly over the top packaging.

The usual snacks I would buy include Jatz, rice crackers, rice/corn cakes, vitawheats, muesli bars (not LCMs etc), plain corn chips and dried fruit, puffed rice/corn. Not usually nuts as they are $$ and we have some allergies. Sometimes plainer sweet biscuits like arrowroots or lamingtons etc. Probably some iceblocks 1/2 times a week.

Cheeses are usually just the sliced 24 packs or brie. We also often have dip/hummus.

Sometimes my kids will have a bowl of cereal for afternoon tea and that may keep them going until dinner.

Otherwise it would be some fruit or veg cut up with some crackers etc.

Oh and please note I don't buy all these things every week, this is just a brain dump of our usual items. I aim to have something healthy (fruit/veg) with some carbs (crackers/biscuits) and then a treat type (eg biscuits/ice block) a few times. I try to vary the morning and afternoon tea eg if crackers in the morning, then no crackers in the arvo.

I do have a tween boy who is always hungry, and I want to put a bit more variety in there for the kids that is still healthy and easy to put out.

Previously I've done sweet/savoury muffins which worked well, I just haven't been motivated enough to get the oven on lately to do them.

So if you've got to this point (thanks!) then my questions are:
- does the above look ok on a rotating basis? We are not doing it tough but I like to be reasonable with expenditure.
- is it ok for 3 kids (plus me) to polish off a box of jatz or rice crackers in one afternoon (not every day but probably 3-4 times a week)?

I guess I am just looking for reassurance that I'm not preserving my kids in salt. The above items are all things that all my kids will eat  (which is why we keep coming back to them), and my thought load feels so big at the moment, I'm trying to eek out some minor reduction in it by the snack planning.

Thank you! :)

PS - the kids are well stocked in candy canes at school so they will probably be part of their regular snacks too for the next couple of weeks :lol:

#2 Moo point

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:55 AM

Yeah that's a lot of crackers. How about getting the older kids to make muesli slice or muffins? Gives them something to do as well as eat.

DS is only 7 but a good way to fill him up is with a bowl of greek full fat yogurt with various toppings - muesli, or fresh fruit, or even frozen berries, honey & banana etc. Would be more filling than crackers or cereal?

#3 AllyK81

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:00 PM

Fruit between meals or like PP fruit with greek yoghurt and honey. Mine also add nuts, cacao nibs etc.

But we don't really have morning and afternoon tea. We don't really encourage snacking as we find it impact on them eating their meals.

If they are hungry they generally help themselves to fruit. Baby carrots and cucumber are also popular. I also make them healthy shakes - milk, frozen banana, cacao, honey, dates, oats and nuts. Super delicious.

We don't really eat any pre packaged processed things. I would say that is a lot of crackers to eat in one go. We would only have biscuits if we have a cheese plate and even then maybe half a box for all 4 of us with cheese/pate on top etc.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:00 PM

DS and DH go through a lot shapes, cheese and crackers, rice snack things, cheese on its own.

We try not to have too many chips (crisps DH calls them) but we have them sometimes on the weekend and when we go away.

DS only likes posh cheese on his peppercorn  water crackers, coon and ritz/jatz are not good enough for his 'delicate' pallet it seems. - he has discovered our wollies cheese advent calender though

I am not a snacker generally but will take any cheese on offer DH offers me as I walk past looking grumpy

We have a habit of having biscuits/chocolate/yogurt etc. as a snack after dinner though which we try and stop doing or at least cut back

#5 purpleduck

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:04 PM

Moo point, on 11 December 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Yeah that's a lot of crackers. How about getting the older kids to make muesli slice or muffins? Gives them something to do as well as eat.

DS is only 7 but a good way to fill him up is with a bowl of greek full fat yogurt with various toppings - muesli, or fresh fruit, or even frozen berries, honey & banana etc. Would be more filling than crackers or cereal?

I think one concern about slices etc is how much sugar is in them. Often there is at least 1/2 cup of sugar in the recipe, but I am happy to hunt down some alternatives. I'm not anti-sugar/salt, but I am also aware that its so easy to load up on them without thinking.

Kids aren't big yoghurt fans but I can give it another crack! Happy to expand their palates :)

ETA - morning tea is at the moment just their recess at school - all of them will just have an apple usually. Afternoon tea doesn't seem to impact on their appetite at dinner :shrug:

Edited by purpleduck, 11 December 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#6 a letter to Elise.

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:07 PM

I’ve had to limit the amount of rice crackers we buy, because my kids demolish them so quickly. It’s a lot of salt, and not a lot of nutrition.

Alternative snacks in the afternoons are home made muffins, I cut up a fruit platter, a sunflower seed paste sandwich on brown bread (nut allergies) or I just make dinner really early.

on Fridays, we have “fizzy drink Friday”, and they are allowed to have a packet of chips and a lemonade after school. If we have a party or something on the weekend, we move fizzy drink day to that day instead. It’s helped with the junk food requests a lot. “Can I have chips?” “Is it Friday?”

#7 purpleduck

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:13 PM

ok, so I'm thinking if we reduce cracker usage down to 1-2 packets per week, we can either have smaller amts (so maybe half a packet/day) or one big smash per week. That would help me set the boundaries better for that too - eg only have 2 in the pantry available and once gone, they are gone...

#8 trillian42

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:36 PM

Not all crackers are created equal - I think the jatz/ritz style (are they the same?) are higher in fat and maybe salt. Even rice crackers I’ve been surprised - the seaweed ones we often buy are 2 star Health rating, and a supermarket brand brown rice crackers are 4 star, with about a third the salt. (Just looked closely for the first time and both sorts are imported though ... argh food miles.)

Something like corn thins are low in fat and sugar and reasonable for salt. I think maybe checking the nutrition of various brands is better than cutting right down if they work for your family.

#9 kimasa

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:36 PM

DD usually alternates between yoghurt and popcorn for recess, I buy a big box of the popcorn from The Reject Shop for $5 and I usually get a month out of it.

We don't tend to snack on crackers much though, if we bought them we would eat the entire box in one sitting, so we don't. I think they're a pretty normal thing to just eat until they're gone because they're not filling.

Probably not the best nutritionally, but also probably not the worst thing in the world?

#10 Riotproof

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

The crackers we buy are the vitaweet mutilgrain crackers, thin brown rice crackers like peckish but I get aldi, and the bigger rice cakes/corn cakes.

I did used to make my own and roll them out with a pasta roller. You can add which ever seeds you want, control the salt etc. not for everyone I know.

Also, if you are into sourdough, you can use starter to make your own crackers. They are sooo good, but only dd and I like them.

#11 Prancer is coming

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:56 PM

We eat a lot of rice crackers and rice cakes in our family.  I actually don’t think they are that bad, expect for the salt.  TBH, I find it hard to get a snack that everyone can eat, the kids actually like, and is fantastic nutritiously, so if it ticks every box except one, I am ok with that.

i have one kid with coeliacs disease who must eat gluten free and another with an egg allergy, so bring on the rice crackers!

#12 purpleduck

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

I had forgotten about popcorn!! I’ll add that into our snacks as we have the kernels and the air popper :)

#13 Holly298

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

DS swims 4 afternoons a week so is definitely hungry after school so we usually have the big brown rice cakes (I get Ceres organic which literally have no salt) with almond butter or peanut butter or avocado (he easily can eat 4-6) or air popped popcorn (I grind over sea salt) or boiled eggs or wholemeal pita bread with hummus or labne
He does love pretzels and lavosh crackers but I try only bring those out if we have people over

Edited by Holly298, 11 December 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#14 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:37 PM

Kids eat rice crackers with hummus or avocado dip (Im aware the avocado dips are only about 50% avo and the rest cream cheese).  We also make lots of our own popcorn on the stove top. Its so delicious!

#15 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:49 PM

I don't find corn thins any good because they don't fill them up at all. I had my then 10yr old eat 3 pkts and still complain he was hungry not 30 mins later. Occasionally what I do it go crazy on a weekend and bake what feels like endless muffins then freeze them. Just toss a couple in the fridge in the morning and they are defrosted by the time they are home or you can head them up.

My kids often have a snack mid afternoon. (Not yogurt as my kids will literally demolish 1L in 2 days). Some days it's fruit, someday's they make a toasted sandwich or more recently they love making quesadillas in the sandwich press (a tortilla, with salami and spinach with a sprinkle of cheese then folded in half).

But I'm fine with crackers. The vita wheat ones are good. Lots of seeded etc. Though mine love their Ritz (not Jatz, they will not eat Jatz and apparently there is a big difference in taste between Ritz and Jatz. I can't tell the difference).

Edited by MayaTheGrinch, 11 December 2019 - 01:50 PM.

#16 Dianalynch

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:57 PM

We eat rice thins, saladas, ryvita, vitawheat crackers, not all at once but the kids will have something most days, they also eat fruit, cheese, yogurt, nuts, vegetable sticks, little tomatoes, popcorn, and will talk me into crisps and chocolate every now and then.

#17 Hey what.@

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

I'll be following with interest. We have a similar style at our house and I'm flat out keeping up with DS8 who seems to eat constantly! We also have popcorn in our mix. Also cruskits - plain or with vegemite or peanut butter.

I like the idea of "fizzy drink Friday".

Edited by Hey what.@, 11 December 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#18 daisy007

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 11 December 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

The crackers we buy are the vitaweet mutilgrain crackers, thin brown rice crackers like peckish but I get aldi, and the bigger rice cakes/corn cakes.

I did used to make my own and roll them out with a pasta roller. You can add which ever seeds you want, control the salt etc. not for everyone I know.

Also, if you are into sourdough, you can use starter to make your own crackers. They are sooo good, but only dd and I like them.
I would love to know how you make your sourdough crackers? I’m playing around with sourdough at the moment and they sound delicious!

#19 Mooples

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:29 PM

Where are all the people eating the aisles and aisles worth of chips, shapes, biscuits, twisties etc. everyone here seems to have such healthy afternoon tea. As always with eb this is not what I see with my friends in real life. My kids eat heaps of rice crackers, several packs a week. Also sweet biscuits, gingerbread men, popcorn, corn chips. I go for what’s easy, I don’t have time after work and or kinder to be organising fancy afternoon tea then dinner as well.

#20 kimasa

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

View PostMooples, on 11 December 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

Where are all the people eating the aisles and aisles worth of chips, shapes, biscuits, twisties etc. everyone here seems to have such healthy afternoon tea. As always with eb this is not what I see with my friends in real life. My kids eat heaps of rice crackers, several packs a week. Also sweet biscuits, gingerbread men, popcorn, corn chips. I go for what’s easy, I don’t have time after work and or kinder to be organising fancy afternoon tea then dinner as well.

Well my kid is at aftercare eating whatever afternoon tea they give her. That would also be the case for many people.

I generally only find out what that afternoon tea is when they make smoothies because DD loves a smoothie.

#21 Riotproof

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:49 PM

View Postdaisy007, on 11 December 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

I would love to know how you make your sourdough crackers? I’m playing around with sourdough at the moment and they sound delicious!

You can really play with the seasoning.  I Like a paprika.

https://www.kingarth...crackers-recipe

Don’t use active starter, you can use discard.

#22 lozoodle

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:24 PM

Sometimes I buy a box of shapes or something, but usually i'll make banana bread or muesli bars or something in bulk in pop in the freezer to stick in lunchboxes.

#23 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:38 PM

My kids help themselves to whatever is in the cupboard or fridge or if we have something after school whatever I have remembered to bring or they remembered to bring as a snack. I just don’t tend to buy crackers or crisps because they vanish into the hollow legs of my kids within a day or so of buying. So I don’t buy them and buy stuff that lasts through out the week. Same reason I never buy anything but rice bubbles, corn flakes or weet-bix.

#24 Hibiscus123

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:39 PM

Same here, I just try to put my energy into a nice home cooked dinner. Not bothered if they have a processed snack for afternoon tea but I make them pair it with something non processed like some homemade dip, banana etc

#25 halcyondays

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:57 PM

Mine eat cereal and fruit, banana and nutella smoothies, peanut butter on toast, cheese on toast, Veggie sticks, Hommus. Yoghurt with muesli. Kids make it themselves.
We usually have cakes or pastries Sunday morning tea. They don’t eat morning tea at school cos it gets in the way of play time.
On fridays I finish work early and sometimes have friend over so we’ll have corn chip with guacamole and salsa or cheese and crackers (love love those fancy cranberry and pumpkin seed ones). I really dislike rice crackers and corn thins so haven’t really got the kids onto them!
Every time there is an afternoon tea event on (clubs, birthdays, visiting a friend) they eat the chips and biscuits etc (seems to be one at least every week), and every time I have to “send a plate” I send a packet of biscuits so yes, I do buy them.

Edited by halcyondays, 11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.