Jump to content

strip searches


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 marple

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

I have no idea who the dude was that questioned Gladys today but thank you mate. It is disgusting in what is supposed to be one of the worlds best small "L" liberal democracies that  anyone, let alone minors can get hauled off and strip searched because a dog sat next to them.Not only at music festivals but at train stations - where you are led behind a screen. Utterly disgraceful. Makes me want to become a politician.

#2 katpaws

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:26 PM

I heard a story form a colleague last week where she and her mother were strip searched at Melbourne Airport when she was 11 (about 40 years ago). She is still traumatised by the event.

#3 marple

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

It should be illegal. Some random cop dragging you behind a screen. I despair that this is AUstralia in 2019.

#4 steppy

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:54 PM

If they want to do a strip search it should cost them - they should have to go back to the station and adhere to all the proper procedures and take the person back where they found them if nothing was located. It is disgusting that this is being allowed over such tiny offences.

#5 Mmmcheese

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:00 PM

Even the security at Melbourne airport now, with the full body scans. Our liberties are bit by bit eroding.

#6 too tired to care

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:06 PM

Just wondering if you can refuse a strip search and what the repercussions would be?

#7 *Spikey*

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:28 PM

They can arrest you if they have grounds. I think that they probably don't have enough grounds - and that would be my first response. No. Arrest me and charge me.

Personally, this just makes the Police Force the new pedo attracting activity. They don't even have to groom young people, they can force them to take their clothes off. Gross.

#8 Givingitanothergo

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:57 PM

Utterly disgraceful and should be illegal. Cannot believe police are allowed to do this. Sniffer dogs need to go too. Civil liberties are compromised

#9 gruidae

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:07 PM

Very scary the targeting of young people. Even for old chooks like me it makes you a bit nervous about using a seat on the train. Someone only need to have sat there with something in their pocket and then the smell is on you. Same with using the handrails standing.Next thing you know you're doing the old squat and cough on the platform in front of half the world.

* there have been times in my career where I've needed to do jail visits. I've never used in my life. I've been refused visits via making the mistake of sitting on seating in the waiting area and also from stopping at a shop and using an EFTPOS machine. They pick up everything. If you touch something a user has touched, the dogs will smell it.

#10 Amica

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:08 PM

Is this another radical right suggestion or a new reality?

#11 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

the practice of strip searching is appalling. that’s an extraordinary “right” given to a plain old police officer - no wonder it’s abused. and i’m so sick of the old “well if you’ve got nothing to hide why would you care” (i’m not seeing this on here, but i do hear it in real life) when it comes to strip searches i’ve got plenty of things i want to protect, none of which is drugs - my dignity, my autonomy, my privacy.


#12 gruidae

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:22 PM

View PostAmica, on 11 December 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

Is this another radical right suggestion or a new reality?

New reality. The train platform searches behind a shoulder height screen are a NSW thing, though usually the rest of the country follows suit with these civil liberties issues. I imagine public transport users aren't doing their bit to boost greenhouse emissions and are therefore suspect.

Young people, however, are always considered suspect merely for being young. Music festivals targeting young people -again behind shoulder high screens- is nation wide and has been for a decade.

#13 purplekitty

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

Appalling.

Boiling a frog.

#14 ExpatInAsia

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:33 PM

View PostMmmcheese, on 11 December 2019 - 04:00 PM, said:

Even the security at Melbourne airport now, with the full body scans. Our liberties are bit by bit eroding.

This is far better than being patted down or searched.

#15 Mmmcheese

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

View PostExpatInAsia, on 11 December 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:



This is far better than being patted down or searched.

Ah, here it comes... the justification.

#16 Lesley225

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

I see little difference between this and sexual assault.

#17 Givingitanothergo

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

There were police at our local pub doing strip searches in toilet cubicles. All because a dog sat next to someone. How can this happen! What a disgrace

Edited by Givingitanothergo, 11 December 2019 - 07:41 PM.


#18 Coffeegirl

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

View PostExpatInAsia, on 11 December 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

This is far better than being patted down or searched.

View PostMmmcheese, on 11 December 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

Ah, here it comes... the justification.

as someone who is patted down at every airport due to an artificial knee, I’ll take a full body scan over a pat down any day.       And I’m looking forward to the day body scans are the norm instead of xray machines.  

At least they don’t have to touch me with a body scan.

#19 Coffeegirl

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:52 PM

View Postgruidae, on 11 December 2019 - 05:22 PM, said:


New reality. The train platform searches behind a shoulder height screen are a NSW thing, though usually the rest of the country follows suit with these civil liberties issues. I imagine public transport users aren't doing their bit to boost greenhouse emissions and are therefore suspect.

Young people, however, are always considered suspect merely for being young. Music festivals targeting young people -again behind shoulder high screens- is nation wide and has been for a decade.

My DD is festival age now, and at least two of her friends have been pulled out of an entry line due to a dog sitting down beside them.     One was strip searched, the other was just denied entry.  

neither had drugs, had taken drugs, nor do they hang with people who do take drugs,  

The one who was strip searched was only 17 at the time.   No parents called and the girl wasn’t told her rights, nor that she could refuse the search.  

It’s bloody disgusting that they can strip search anyone in these circumstances, let alone a minor.

#20 Melbs2010

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

The recent revelations about strip searching minors without a guardian present or giving consent are awful.  The stories told by the young people were horrifying.  Minors should not be strip searched.  In the majority of cases described in detail nothing illegal was even found.  Not that it would justify it anyway.

I could not believe the police defending the fact they had not required any of the third-party adult supervisors of these searches (SES volunteers I believe) to have completed a working with children check.  Truly amazing lack of due diligence post royal commission into child abuse.

#21 Givingitanothergo

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:02 PM

View PostMelbs2010, on 11 December 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

The recent revelations about strip searching minors without a guardian present or giving consent are awful.  The stories told by the young people were horrifying.  Minors should not be strip searched.  In the majority of cases described in detail nothing illegal was even found.  Not that it would justify it anyway.

I could not believe the police defending the fact they had not required any of the third-party adult supervisors of these searches (SES volunteers I believe) to have completed a working with children check.  Truly amazing lack of due diligence post royal commission into child abuse.

I agree wholeheartedly to minors not being strip searched. But this should extend to all members of the community going about their business. Getting the train to work, doing their shopping, or having a night out. How is this legal?

#22 knottygirl

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:05 PM

I have just travelled to China where pat downs are routine. Def prefer the body scanner to the pat down. Some places had both. They were not a quick pat down either very thorough. Definitely made me feel uncomfortable and I was clothed.

#23 steppy

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:30 PM

I think if I was a frequent flyer I'd rather have a pat down. Frequent flyers have more cancer risk as it is without adding body scanners every time they fly.

#24 ExpatInAsia

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:35 PM

I am a frequent flyer and much prefer the body scanner.

#25 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:53 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 11 December 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

They can arrest you if they have grounds. I think that they probably don't have enough grounds - and that would be my first response. No. Arrest me and charge me.

Personally, this just makes the Police Force the new pedo attracting activity. They don't even have to groom young people, they can force them to take their clothes off. Gross.

View PostGivingitanothergo, on 11 December 2019 - 04:57 PM, said:

Utterly disgraceful and should be illegal. Cannot believe police are allowed to do this. Sniffer dogs need to go too. Civil liberties are compromised

View PostGivingitanothergo, on 11 December 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

I agree wholeheartedly to minors not being strip searched. But this should extend to all members of the community going about their business. Getting the train to work, doing their shopping, or having a night out. How is this legal?

Agree with all 3 of you completely

View PostCoffeegirl, on 11 December 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

My DD is festival age now, and at least two of her friends have been pulled out of an entry line due to a dog sitting down beside them. One was strip searched, the other was just denied entry.  

neither had drugs, had taken drugs, nor do they hang with people who do take drugs,  

The one who was strip searched was only 17 at the time.   No parents called and the girl wasn’t told her rights, nor that she could refuse the search.  

It’s bloody disgusting that they can strip search anyone in these circumstances, let alone a minor.

Disgusting
Im so glad i dont get out to them sort of things now. Everyone treated as a criminal just for attending




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.