Desperately NEEDED presents untouched

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:07 AM

Spinoff:

What have your kids so desperately needed for Christmas that are sitting there untouched.

DS - MAB blocks.  They were bloody hard to get too
DD - Latin books.  (Actually Latern books on her Christmas list) Her interest inspired by A series of Unfortunate Events.  Also not that easy to find.  I believe the spine hasn't even been cracked.

Both were EB 'where do I find' topics.  My children don't appreciate you EB.

#2 Holidayromp

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:12 AM

I think it’s a case of going through their lists and sifting out the WANTS from the wants!!! If that makes sense.  I find that kids including my own can put some pretty ‘left of centre’ on their lists and I go through them making sure what is bought are not only they want but what they will use too.

#3 born.a.girl

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:21 AM

My 27 yo's Kitchen Aid had damn well better be used, or I'll be claiming it back.

It's not an unreasonable gift (some years are $, some are $$$ depending on what's needed), as she bakes fabulous cakes, using my $20 kmart beater.

I do have the 'what if' in my head, though.

#4 **Xena**

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:26 AM

Luckily there's only been two presents that haven't gone down well and they weren't asked for, they were for my two sons when they were little. One was a Thomas that could drive itself and one was Tumbletime Tigger. The boys were petrified of them :lol:

#5 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:29 AM

The robot that my child insisted he absolutely needed, I don't think it's been used since his birthday. Otherwise, most things have been used a fair bit. Actually there are still some books they got for Christmas last year that haven't even been opened but I went a bit overboard last year.

#6 marple

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:31 AM

Ditto the robot

#7 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

yep, a robot. think it was called a “Mip” ....it could dance if you clapped your hands.....had about an hours worth of interest and has since been forgotten.

#8 kimasa

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:44 AM

Play kitchen.

The only thing my kid does any imaginary play with is LOL dolls. All those "facilitates imagination and creativity" and "high play value" toys are decorative in this house, always have been.

Actually, once she pulled the sink out of it because the LOL dolls needed a submarine. So the sink has been played with.

#9 Caribou

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:45 AM

Hatchimal furby type toy. I hunted high and low and got my hands on the last hatchimal in store.  I dragged it halfway across the world so ‘Santa’ could give it to her.

‘That’s not the colour I wanted.’

Cue me thinking  OMG CHILD, DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THE LENGTHS I WENT TO GET THIS TOY, TRAVEL 30 HOURS AND KEEP IT ALL
HIDDEN UNTIL CHRISTMAS?

Needless to say it remained in DDs cupboard at home for a further six months untouched. She caught me sneaking them out and got upset. A month later I dropped them off the charity when she was at school. She never asked for it again.

#10 Ellie bean

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:47 AM

Play house-one of those awesome cubby houses with a door, window, chairs etc that they loved playing with at other people’s houses. DH even put carpet in it. NO interest from either kid. DD once referred to it as”that place where we keep our hula hoops.” Thank goodness we bought it second hand...

#11 cstar

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:47 AM

Remote helicopter

Too hard to use so it just sits there collecting dust

#12 a letter to Elise.

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:56 AM

Admittedly, I buy my kids way too much stuff (trying so hard not to do it this year), so we have quite a few.

the expensive build a bear was probably the silliest one. They begged me, and wanted fancy outfits and accessories. My niece and nephew had years worth of play from theirs so I thought it would be used. Nope. Played with on Christmas Day. Never touched again.

DS begged me to get Star Wars Lego last Christmas. Still sitting there unopened. As much as he claims he still likes Lego, I won’t be buying anymore.

#13 Let-it-go

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:02 PM

Hatchimal.

So hard to get, so freakin expensive.

#14 polythene

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:03 PM

A cubby house. DD was 4 and asked all year for it. Other people had one and she needed one too. We bought one of those cool wooden ones and DH put it together himself and we surprised her on Christmas Day. So much joy! So much excitement!  So many spiders and insects living in it after it was barely used in the years to follow.  Some years later after DS ignored it too the cubby house ended up being a chicken coop at a country friend's house. Sigh.

#15 ghost_cat

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:17 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 12 December 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

My 27 yo's Kitchen Aid had damn well better be used, or I'll be claiming it back.

It's not an unreasonable gift (some years are $, some are $$$ depending on what's needed), as she bakes fabulous cakes, using my $20 kmart beater.

I do have the 'what if' in my head, though.

My lovely husband encouraged me years ago to buy a Kitchen Aid as he knew I had always coveted one.  I use it almost weekly, but even if I didn't, don't under-estimate the joy that comes from simply seeing it sitting there on the bench, gleaming, waiting to do your baking needs...

#16 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:30 PM

DS usually has one item he really wants and the rest sit in a pile. Anything book or craft related usually goes untouched but I’m a slow learner.

DD likes getting cute little dolls and figures but doesn’t actually play with them.

#17 Hey what.@

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:30 PM

Great topic! A coveted, expensive Luvabella doll wasn't played with anywhere near enough to justify the price.

Same here re PP robot!

Gee I love EB and knowing my kids aren't 'the only ones' that do certain things.

#18 Riotproof

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:34 PM

View Postkimasa, on 12 December 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

Play kitchen.

Actually, I shouldn’t blame ds. He never asks for anything. This was a bad parent call.
Ds looked at his in disdain. Never touched it, but it was well used by visitors.
Dd didn’t overly use it either, except as storage for her toy food.

Edited by Riotproof, 12 December 2019 - 07:52 PM.

#19 Jingleflea

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:37 PM

DD loves Beanieboo toys with the big eyes.
Doesn't actually play with them though.

Shopkins she loves and needs, hasn't touched them in over a year.
BIG clean out happening this upcoming holidays!

#20 NastyGal

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

DD, then 6yo, begged Santa for some toy flowering cherry trees (!?) So Santa searched high and low, and finally found them on a miniature railway enthusiast site on Ebay. DD unwrapped them, oohed and ahhed for about two minutes, and then they were never touched again. Doh!

EFS

Edited by NastyGal, 12 December 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#21 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:43 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 12 December 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

Ds looked at his in disdain. Never touched it, but it was well used by visitors.
Dd didn’t overly use it either, except as storage for her toy food.

maybe we should start a spin off of a spin off for “unlikely presents that were a hit” - years ago mum gave DS a collection of toy food ...i was a bit unsure but it was an unlikely hit - there were these plastic slices of bread that DS was obsessed with..they went to bed with him and featured in other games as makeshift boats and shelters for trash pack figures .....there were also  these fake eggs that still appear every now and then in our egg storage thing in the fridge and DS takes one out and pretends to let it slip from his hands and go crashing to the floor....

#22 kimasa

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 12 December 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

maybe we should start a spin off of a spin off for “unlikely presents that were a hit” - years ago mum gave DS a collection of toy food ...i was a bit unsure but it was an unlikely hit - there were these plastic slices of bread that DS was obsessed with..they went to bed with him and featured in other games as makeshift boats and shelters for trash pack figures .....there were also  these fake eggs that still appear every now and then in our egg storage thing in the fridge and DS takes one out and pretends to let it slip from his hands and go crashing to the floor....

Last year for Christmas my Nanna gave DD a plain blue tin moneybox in the style of a safe with the little door with a key.

My goodness she loves that thing.

#23 kimasa

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

I just thought of another strange success.

BIL bought DD, who was 4 at the time, a calendar. I was all "well that's random" but DD became obsessed with it, and here we are, age 6 and putting everything in her life on a calendar in her room where she crosses off the days every evening before bed.

She's picked a Bananya calendar for 2020.

#24 Autumn Tones

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

View Postkimasa, on 12 December 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

Last year for Christmas my Nanna gave DD a plain blue tin moneybox in the style of a safe with the little door with a key.

My goodness she loves that thing.

My toddler cousin took no interest in her mountain of Christmas presents last year, but was delighted by a Styrofoam cup filled with ice cubes and a plastic spoon!

#25 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:33 PM

PJ Masks electronic thing that has games for you to tell time, spell, memory games etc.  I think PJ masks were cool in kindy (preschool) but at big school they were no longer the in thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.