Clearance

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

What are other schools policies on clearance at the end of year 9?

DD has just messaged me about having forgotten to get her clearance sheet filled out and handed in(has been sick and other problems).
Now she is terrified they are not going to let her go up to year 10.

#2 marple

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:40 AM

This must not be a NSW thing, as have had 3 kids pass through Year 9 and don't know what you mean. Unless it's new? What is it?

#3 cstar

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:41 AM

I don’t know what a clearance at school is, never heard of it?

#4 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:45 AM

We are at a NSW public school.

#5 LiveLife

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:48 AM

Never heard of it in WA. In fact you can fail yr 9 and you’re still expected in yr 10

#6 marple

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:51 AM

Oh.. NSW. Never heard of it. WHat is it? Do you mean handing in text books or  something?

Edited by marple, 13 December 2019 - 08:53 AM.

#7 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

I just spoke to the education department and she had no idea what it was either and actually said it is a form of bullying in itself to say this to the kids.

I can understand wanting to make sure text books etc. are back, but shouldn’t they have a list of who has what and be able to send it out to the parents?

#8 marple

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:10 AM

Oh, so it is text books. Hand them back and then forget about it. It means nothing. Your child will be moved to Year 10 regardless. Your school sounds a bit cray!

#9 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

We’re in the NSW public school system and i’ve never heard of this - as it’s a legal requirement for them to attend year ten they can’t enforce this “clearance” surely.

#10 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

All text books have been handed back. Library books have been handed back.

#11 marple

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:22 AM

Ignore it then.

#12 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

agree....ignore. we kept getting an automated message from his school library saying he needed to return some Agatha Christie book....he says he never borrowed it and i believe him - my son and Agatha Christie? i don’t think so. after about two emails back to them we stopped getting the messages...no doubt they realised their error!

#13 SummerStar

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:22 AM

We are in a NSW public school and last year was the first time I heard of this. I rushed to make sure everything was in order so my child could get their "clearance".

This year my other child is leaving that school and I didn't bother doing some of the things they required. They still "graduated" the year and now we won't return. Nothing happened as a result of not completing the "clearance" items. I'd ignore it.

#14 Jenno

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:41 AM

State High School in QLD - clearance every year.
Catholic High School QLD - not called clearance but they have to have returned all textbooks etc.

#15 jayskette

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

if only clearance is done on all students of all states - must meet pass standards for a grade before allowing to study the next grade up!

#16 SummerStar

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

From what I gather clearance is just all fees paid and books returned... Not passing standards to move up. Or that's what it is at our school anyway.

Edited by SummerStar, 13 December 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#17 marple

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

You will still move up a grade with unpaid fees. OP you've returned the books forgetabout it.

#18 SummerStar

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

Of course, but that's what they consider clearance. I think it's just a thing to encourage people to finalise things at year end. It won't actually prevent anyone from moving up if not done. Just an empty threat in our schools case.

#19 lizzzard

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:50 PM

The difference between ‘real’ rules (eg laws) and policies is a great life lesson. Knowing the difference eases 80% of stress associated with ‘compliance’ in life 😉

#20 lucky 2

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:10 PM

Public school fees are not compulsory!

#21 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:34 PM

I finally got through to DD that they wouldn’t stop her from going up a year.
I am just angry that a school that says it is against bullying, literally has become a bully itself.
If I didn’t think it would do DD more harm than good, I would just change schools.

On the upside. The stray cat she feeds on her way home from school somehow found its way to our front door. DD20 was home and gave it a tin of tuna slices and then took videos of it just rolling around and meowing at her. She sent a video to DD15, and that was when we found out it was the same cat. It is very friendly.

#22 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:57 AM

Lucrezia Bauble, on 13 December 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

agree....ignore. we kept getting an automated message from his school library saying he needed to return some Agatha Christie book....he says he never borrowed it and i believe him - my son and Agatha Christie? i don’t think so. after about two emails back to them we stopped getting the messages...no doubt they realised their error!

That sounds like something that would happen at TAFE here :rofl:

#23 Moo point

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:32 AM

Edited by Moo point, 14 December 2019 - 12:13 PM.

#24 Coffeegirl

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

Ah. Our NSW public high school does something similar.  

students have to return their physical textbooks and any school owned materials (music instruments, or art/drama/sport items) back to each teacher directly and have a slip of paper signed off.    

They have been told the school will with hold their reports until this is done, but I’ve never heard of it actually happening.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.