Share the new food products that you've found

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Paddlepop

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:35 AM

We haven't had a thread like this for a while. What new food products have you found lately that are suitable for food allergies/intolerances?

I'm lactose intolerant and gluten intolerant/coeliac (testing is uncertain). I'm also fake sugar intolerant eg sorbitol, xylitol. For some weird reason I can't tolerate gelatine. No idea why. I avoid MSG because it gives me nasty headaches. Can't eat seeds, whole nuts, things with skin on like peas or grapes etc because of probable diverticulitis.

Loving the new crackers from Woolworths' Free From range, especially the BBQ flavour. The plain ones were a bit weird but okay when I spread some Liddells LF cream cheese on them. Crackers are GF and LF.
https://www.woolwort...voured-crackers

The new dairy free coconut based ice blocks from Coles. They're dairy free so LF, and while not labelled at GF they seem to be based on my stomach's lack of reaction to them. A massive plus for me is that the coconut flavour is a desiccated coconut flavour not a raw coconut flavour. Raw coconut flavour makes me gag and nearly vomit. Loving the strawberry flavour. The mango flavour wasn't overwhelmingly mango-y which is good because I only like highly processed mango flavours. It was nice and summery. This afternoon I discovered that there's also a chocolate flavour that tastes great. It tasted a lot like the Weis chocolate and coconut sorbet in a tub.
https://shop.coles.c...-flavoured-pops

Frosty Fruits are now officially gluten free. Very happy to discover that.

Woolworths Free From fruit bread and white bread. Both are soft and delicious, and reasonably priced. I often have to ask my local Woolworths to check out the back for stock because it can sell out quickly. GF and LF.
https://www.woolwort...ten-fruit-bread

Please share your recent discoveries of great allergy/intolerance suitable foods!

#2 babybug15

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:47 AM

Woolworths are doing own brand egg & dairy free chocolate cakes & brownies. One is also nut-free:

https://www.woolwort...-chocolate-cake

Yay for picking up something for work morning teas that will cater to our allergies and won't cost a fortune.

Also the "Proud & Punch" chocolate ice-pops that are gluten & dairy free:

http://www.proudandp...-thats-bananas/

Also I'm sad that both Coles & Woolies have replaced the gluten, egg, nut & dairy free mint slice biscuits they stocked (Leda & Woolies free from) with a gluten free brand that has dairy :(

#3 MooGuru

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:01 AM

I really want to try that cake baby bug

#4 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:40 AM

Leda has some huge supply issues after they had a factory fire. Coles has dropped them, which is such a shame because it was a nice treat for ds.

The dairy free Weiss bars are delicious. Ds likes the raspberry and the chocolate one.

The only other new thing I’ve found is two variety’s of mini Xmas pud that are dairy, egg, and only have almonds. The whisky and rum ones from Aldi.

#5 Ivy Ivy

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:57 AM

Sorry for the 1st 2 ideas for those not near Sydney but:

1. re chocolate:
Josophan's Chocolates in Leura (Blue Mountains) have many gluten free chocs, as do Belle Fleur (Sydney), and both deliver.  We order online when not nearby in person. We tend not to get deliveries over summer as I've had experiences of the courier not keeping the packages in cool enough air con vehicles, and melting happened (which the shop staff get furious about because they give the couriers clear instructions).  During other months of the year the packaging, product and delivery all fantastic from both shops.

2. A great GF cafe (owner is GF) is Cafe Patina at Wahroonga (Sydney).  Most things on the menu are GF.

3. Re bread:
I've been v impressed with how soft the GF Helgas and Abbotts sliced breads stay.

4. Ref GF flour:
I bake a lot/only with GF flours, and though the Orgran is supposedly better quality, and the Coles self raising flour is pretty much basic grains in comparison, I think I get better baking results from the cheap old Coles GF flours.

#6 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

Here are a few vegan GF products I've discovered in recent weeks:

- Special sauce by Naked Byron Foods. I think it's supposed to be like a Big Mac sauce. I finished the jar within a week, all by myself.

- Aioli by Naked Byron Foods. This is good too, but the special sauce is my favourite.

- Rose/Violet/Raspberry/Mint creams by Beech's Fine Chocolates. After I tried the rose ones, I bought eleven more boxes for my son's pre-kinder teachers and staff. Just wow.

I found all this stuff at Leo's in Glen Iris (VIC). It's "only" a 35-minute drive without traffic hehe.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:24 PM

Uncle Toby’s have new muesli bars. They have nicer looking ingredients in them, less rice puffs. More expensive, but a bit nicer.
Uncle Toby’s are one of the few muesli bars that are nut free for my son. And they’re safe for Kinder and play group too.

#8 Beanette

Posted 14 December 2019 - 01:44 PM

GF icecream cookie sandwiches!

https://www.woolwort...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've only seen them at Woolies so far, but they are so delicious! All three flavours are great

#9 Ellie bean

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

Our only issue is lactose intolerance and these do contain nuts but I’m obsessed with these vegan cornettos, they’re just so good

https://www.streetsi...an-vanilla.html

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:59 PM

Ellie bean: They're good. I can't eat the nuts so DH gets to eat the very top layer on mine to get rid of the nuts then the rest is mine. So expensive though. I can only justify buying them when there's a really good special on them. At least both the big two supermarkets have them now instead of just Woolworths. More chance of getting them on special.

#11 Ellie bean

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:39 PM

^^yeah they are pricey, DH buys a couple of packs if they’re on special and we save them for special occasion desserts
I saw today they actually have them at the kiosk at the local pool, they were very pricey (didn’t buy them) but I was very impressed that at least they had options. They had the dairy free magnums there as well.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 14 December 2019 - 12:35 AM, said:

I'm also fake sugar intolerant eg sorbitol, xylitol.

Have you had a look at the polyols group in the Fodmap 'diet'?

I was trying to narrow down my intolerances, I knew more than a small amount of apple or pear was an issue, and sorbitol was like a red rag to a bull to my intestines. Sure enough, apples and pears are also in the polyols group, along with watermelon and lychees, so I make sure those are limited.

I've been caught out overseas a few times before I remember that yoghurt in Europe and elsewhere often has sorbitol in it.  Along with some here, but I only get one brand here so tend to forget.

#13 feralisles

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:40 PM

Aldi have two new dairy free ice creams - raspberry cheesecake and choc mint.  Both delicious!

#14 notsoretro

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:24 PM

View Postferalisles, on 26 December 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

Aldi have two new dairy free ice creams - raspberry cheesecake and choc mint.  Both delicious!
I was coming in to share this one. My DIL is currently on a FODMAP diet and I got her the raspberry cheesecake variety for Christmas dessert. She really liked it. I didn't taste it, as the tub wasn't very big  and I wanted her to have some to take home, but it smelt great

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.