Do your kids buy each other Christmas/birthday presents?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 redchick

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:55 AM

Do your kids buy each other Christmas/birthday presents? I’ve just realised that mine don’t really buy each other gifts. I’m curious what others do as I am wondering if it would b a nice thing to do (even though it inevitably means more shopping time for me!)

#2 Thylacine

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:29 AM

We used to as kids, parents paid for them but we would choose what we wanted to give each sibling.

I only have one kid, but if I had more I think I would do the same.

#3 Clementinerose

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:52 AM

At Christmas the kids might purchase or make something small for each other but most of them don’t. At birthdays the kids like to choose a gift from what I’ve bought for the birthday child, or they will again either purchase something small or make a gift.

#4 Fi Fy Festive Fo

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:12 AM

Yes! And it is one of my fave things about xmas/bdays. We give each child a budget (about $20) and set them loose at the shops. Seeing what they choose and how thoughtful they are is amazing.
I do the same for my kids to buy for dh too.
Btw kids are 6 and 9

#5 José

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:35 AM

I like that idea for birthdays.
Christmas not so much. There's already presents from parents and presents from Santa and presents from extended family. And the general busy ness of that time of year.
So no for me.

#6 NastyGal

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:44 AM

My girls, 10 and 12, buy for each other and also for us, using their own pocket money - usually around $5-$10 gifts. They’ve done this for a few years now. I noticed that Christmas was a bit of a grab-fest for my kids and I just wanted to encourage them to think of others as well, that it wasn’t just all about them, and they really enjoy choosing the presents they’re going to give.

Edited by NastyGal, 14 December 2019 - 06:49 AM.

#7 JBH

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:52 AM

Yes. Mine have a budget and need to buy something for each other, grandparents, parents and the wishing tree. I love watching them plan and weigh up, and negotiate with other about joint presents and generally learn how to budget while also identifying what they think people will really like.

#8 Gudrun

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:01 AM

Only as adults.

#9 Etcetera

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:16 AM

Yes we do. They really enjoy finding something for each other. We set a roughly $25 budget each.
They love keeping the secrets and hiding the gifts from each other. They just wrapped the gifts yesterday and are even more excited now.

My parents did the same with us.

#10 lizzzard

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:41 AM

Mine haven’t is the past but I like the idea of giving them a budget and letting them go shopping- it would be good thing for DS11 in particular.

#11 RocktonResident

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:51 AM

Mine do. Each child gets taken out individually, we have some one-on-one time and they pick a gift for their siblings (and I pay for it).

I love seeing them hunt for what they think each other might like. It makes them think about the person the gift is for, their likes (which can be harder with younger children), as well as reinforcing the Christmas is about giving, not receiving.

#12 aluminium

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

Yes. My girls  9  and 11, use their own pocket-money to buy each other something.

#13 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:58 AM

I have done it in the past but I’m putting it on pause until they are a bit bigger.

#14 Carrie_zmatik

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:06 AM

My three children buy gifts for each other and us parents both at birthdays and Christmas. Each child gets $30 per person and they really enjoy thinking about what the other person would like. I think its important for them to be spending time thinking about and shopping for other people, and they love seeing the joy that their gift has given the recipient.

We actually do presents from us on Christmas Eve as Christmas Day is so busy and I like them to have a relaxed day to enjoy them and play.

Sibling gifts we do on Christmas Day first thing before church and rushing around to extended family events. It means that the presents don't get 'lost' amongst the others, and it prioritises these gifts they give each other as the more important part (compared to the getting).

Everyone does things differently but we really enjoy doing it this way.

Edited by Carrie_zmatik, 14 December 2019 - 08:07 AM.

#15 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:07 AM

Birthdays yes, Christmas no.

#16 Moukmouk

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:09 AM

Mine do - they are starting to really enjoy thinking of things the other would like, and finding a good price etc. but in our house the dog also gives everyone a present.

#17 Rainyeyes

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

Same as a pp we give them a budget which we pay for and take them shopping separately so they can choose a gift, I love hearing them plan and decide what they think each other would love

#18 spr_maiden

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

Yes, most of the time. Occasionally it's a choose from what I've bought already.  That's when I have been too busy and disorganised to take them to store. But mostly,  it's an outing with a parent and they choose,  we pay.
I love seeing what they choose. DS seems to nail gifts for his loved ones. Last year, over all the toys, he chose a yoga mat for his little DD. I thought odd choice but ok. DD loved it! She'd bring it out to practice tumbling. Actually one of her most used gifts from that Xmas.

#19 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

yes mine do. with a bit of financial assistance from me, but they pick out the gift.

#20 **Xena**

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:25 AM

Nope. There's no way I could afford for each kid to buy the other 4 presents. Plus we don't like to buy lots of 'stuff'. I involve them in the choosing process though.

#21 K.heather

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:35 AM

Mine do we make it a special mother/father son/daughter day out and go out for a nice meal after. What the kids choose each other is totally their decision with a budget and it's so sweet watching them try and choose the perfect gifts for each other.

#22 marple

Posted 14 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

Only after they are working/ 18yo. They spend their own money.

Edit -  completely up to them - no expectation. Last year DS 22 didn't give his younger bro anything. This year he has lashed out. All is fine.

Edited by marple, 14 December 2019 - 10:38 AM.

#23 Murderino

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:06 AM

I take them shopping and give them a budget. The three of us go together and I stay with the youngest. They usually get each other a book and a toy/game.

This year the youngest bought the oldest new sandals and they both chose Christmas tshirts.

We do it for Christmas and birthdays. We used to meet XH so he could stay with one but the oldest is okay to get around the shop alone so I don’t have do that now.

#24 Lallalla

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:25 AM

Yes my 3 do, though to date it has been one present from both siblings - so 1 present each total from siblings and not a big budget. Until now they’ve been very suggestible on what to get, if i take them with me to choose and say shall we get purple or blue they  counted it as being from them. 3 year olds still do this. My 5 year old decided to not go with my suggestion this year but was still influencable (is that a word??? Not sure making it one!) , we got something for each sister that we don’t already have and won’t be discarded and/or broken in 5 seconds.

They also choose something very very small for their cousins (for example $2 stickers from the reject shop) to go with whatever I have got them.

I also organise them into getting their dad a present (1 from all of them), and again the 5 year old went in a totally different direction but she’s right he will love it. I think it is important even as very little kids for them to learn Christmas is as much about giving, not just receiving.

#25 Hollycoddle

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

No. And I don't differentiate between givers at Christmas either. There is just one pile of presents for each kid, not this from Mum, that from Santa etc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.