Getting a job without Linked In

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:09 PM

I really hate linked in.
The dribble in the newsfeed does my head in.  I hate all the self promotion, 'hustle', humble brags etc.

I've closed my Twitter account, my insta is basically dorment.  I feel a bit stuck with FB because I'm a part of so many supportive mummy groups.

Anyway back to linked in, can I kill it or will I be screwed when I go job hunting in the 2nd half of 2020?

#2 José

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:18 PM

I don't have linked in. I had three job offers at the end of last year when I was putting out feelers, e.g. letting people know I was seeing what was about, responding to a seek ad. etc.
Surely linked in isn't essential to get a job!

#3 FatherofFour

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:20 PM

You should be ramping up your Linkedin profile / connections if you intend to be job hunting soon, not reducing and / or eliminating it.

#4 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:25 PM

Hi OP. I think it depends on which industry you're in. As an engineer, my husband is contacted by recruiters, via LinkedIn, with amusing regularity.

However, as a teacher, I won't be using LinkedIn as a tool if/when I ever decide to change schools. I think I closed my LinkedIn account after I left software development.

#5 HamsterPower

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:31 PM

I would agree it would depend on your industry/role. I personally have found very good roles through LinkedIn - approached by recruiters directly. My current role was not advertised anywhere but the recruiter found me via my profile.
I personally find Facebook more braggy but it would depend on who you follow etc.

As a manager I also recruit people regularly and the first thing I check when reviewing candidates is LinkedIn- it enables me to see if we know any of the same people, if they are cyber savvy etc.

#6 foofoo

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:44 PM

I recruit a lot (IT/projects) and our ads are now only on our website and LinkedIn.  We only use Seek if we are going through an agency.

I think an account is useful for a few reasons.  Our HR team will often look for potential matches and you can also set up searches and receive job alerts.

Whilst there are other ways to make contacts and get a job it is another channel that could help.

Edited by foofoo, 14 December 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#7 Dianalynch

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

depends on the industry - if i was seriously job hunting I would use it in my industry - employment relations, but I've also had success without it in both the private and public sectors

#8 night jasmine

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:46 PM

As others have said, it depends on your industry. I’ve found it’s of no use in most public service roles.

#9 Freddie'sMum

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

I deleted my LinkedIn account after I lost my last job.

I am / was a legal secretary and going forward, I am not planning on returning to that industry at all.  I think it depends on what type of work / career you want / have if you need to have LinkedIn.  DH is on LinkedIn because he's in finance and recruiters find him through there.

#10 Freddie'sMum

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

I've just clicked OP - aren't you expecting twins any day now?  Please don't tell me that you are going to be job hunting at the same time?

#11 BornToLove

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:09 PM

I was looking for work earlier this year and I noticed a lot of employers would post jobs there and not seek. A lot of employers are avoiding seek; my last job wasn’t posted there, the job I moved to also wasn’t posted there. Both posted exclusively to LinkedIn.

#12 gracie1978

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:29 PM

View PostFreddie, on 14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

I've just clicked OP - aren't you expecting twins any day now?  Please don't tell me that you are going to be job hunting at the same time?

I'm quite bored on bed rest..
I'll be job hunting next year but figured I may as well update my resume while my last job is fresh in my head and I'm not doing anything.
Then it occurred to me to update linked in and once I logged in I was uggggh this terrible online space....

I hate the privacy aspect, how all these people have access to your resume.  Also the blatent lies people tell.  It's like dude you're broke and living in your mum's garage because you refuse to get a job because you're busy following your passion ... But whatever #entrepreneur

I think this is like the hairdresser question, deep down I know I need to suck it up, ask for some recommendations etc but my inner 12yo is eye rolling.  On the upside apparently millennials hate it as well, so at least I'm on trend.

#13 WaitForMe

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:34 PM

I hate how much personal detail I have on there but no I would never take down my profile.

And yeah, its becoming a better source than Seek for job adverts these days. When applying, I still provide my own tailored CV though.

#14 SummerStar

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:44 PM

I don't have linked in. I have no desire to get it. Have never had a problem getting a job. Usually when I apply for a job I get an interview from at least 90% of applications and out of those interviews will get at least two offers based on my last three jobs over 7 years.
I can't see any further benefit to it for me as what I've been doing seems to work so far for me.

#15 #YKG

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:22 PM

I’m with others, it’s very industry dependent and then in that industry/sector it again depends on positions. In my job it’s pretty word of mouth with jobs that are similar. It’s also very internal job board postings/seeking.

I don’t have LinkedIn and never have, hasn’t impeded my ability to gain/change employment.

#16 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:33 PM

View PostFreddie, on 14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM, said:

She said the second half of next year.  

I have a 7 month old and I notice quite a lot of people in my groups had to return to work around the 6 month mark which seems to tie in with when 18 weeks PPL runs out.

Edited by MincePieMasterchef, 15 December 2019 - 05:37 PM.

#17 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:46 PM

I hear you OP, I hate it as a social media site too, all the hustling and self promotion makes me feel anxious and inadequate. I think it’s worth having a profile though if you’re job hunting, even just from the point of view that you should only send a short cv in a job application but you can include a link to more detail on your linked in.
I also like having it there for my current workplace because people check you out, and I like them to know my qualifications which I otherwise wouldn’t mention in general. I some new senior staff at work start, I’ll often go check out their LinkedIn, and then they’ll get a notification that I’ve looked and check out mine.
I stay far away from it as a social network though. No posting of stuff or chatting!

#18 Hands Up

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:50 PM

I think it’s worth keeping.

#19 FeralZombieSanta

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

I've avoided Linkedin because I value my privacy. I have seen a number of Linkedin accounts, where people have blatantly lied about their work history - especially when they've been out of work for a while.

I do agree, it depends on the industry, and even where you live.

I am able to find work easily. Most of my jobs have been offered to me without me even looking for work. When I have applied for jobs, I've had no trouble getting interviews.

#20 lizzzard

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:10 PM

I’m an avid user of Linked In. I find the self promotion amusing.

In your case I’d just have a profile up and select settings that don’t notify you of anything except recruiter messages for example. I wouldn’t necessarily not hire someone if they didn’t have a profile but if I’m brutally honest the initial impression I’d have is that the person is either not up to date (since it is 2019....) or slightly hard work (ie making a point). So if I had lots of resumes the person without any linked in profile might end up slightly lower down the short list.

#21 SeaPrincess

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:43 PM

I am not active on LinkedIn, but I keep my profile up to date. For a while, I was getting contacted almost weekly by recruiters, so I would definitely ramp it up and check settings if I was actively looking.

#22 Charli73

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:14 PM

Have never got a job or offer via LinkedIn but I am
In and deleted once I moved I to public sector.. useless in my role anyway.. really depends on area of work you’re after.

#23 gracie1978

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:20 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 15 December 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

I’m an avid user of Linked In. I find the self promotion amusing.

In your case I’d just have a profile up and select settings that don’t notify you of anything except recruiter messages for example. I wouldn’t necessarily not hire someone if they didn’t have a profile but if I’m brutally honest the initial impression I’d have is that the person is either not up to date (since it is 2019....) or slightly hard work (ie making a point). So if I had lots of resumes the person without any linked in profile might end up slightly lower down the short list.

I'm am slightly hard work :)

#24 lizzzard

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:29 PM

View Postgracie1978, on 15 December 2019 - 07:20 PM, said:

I'm am slightly hard work :)

Hahah, maybe it gives a “realistic employee preview” then 🤣

#25 iwanttosleepin

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

I have a very poorly maintained Linkedin.  I should delete it as its at least a few jobs old and I have completely changed fields so its very irrelevant these days.

I am currently recruiting for a job.  Linkedin will play no part in it - TBH.  I am desperate to find someone but my location, and the specific job make recruiting near impossible.  I am going word of mouth mostly - although many people won't share it as the pool of people is so small and they don't want their own staff poached.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for.

My DH has a very active and large linkedin profile.  He gets many 'profile views' each week.  He is not looking for a job whatsoever and says in jest he is 'semi retired'.  He does work for a big company and people who use his company might look to see if they like the people being offered in proposals but he doesn't use it to get 'new jobs' as such.  For a long time he got lots of recruiter hits - he would just delete them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.