what can you do with 3GB data?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Quick hedgehog

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:21 PM

I am stumped for christmas gifts for my DS (15).  I am thinking of buying him some monthly phone credit.

At the moment he just has an Aldi pre-paid and he is expected to only use it to make calls/texts when there is no other alternative, and it gives him no data. He uses his phone at home on wifi. It costs me about $15 every 6 months.  

Instead, I could upgrade him to the $15 a month plan, which would give him unlimited calls and 3gb data.  I don't want him frittering away data, but I think it is probably time he learnt how to ration it himself, plus it would at least be a gift I could give him.

As I don't have data on my phone myself, I have no idea what 3GB of data would let him do.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

#2 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:28 PM

Nothing really.

3GB will run the basics on a smart phone but you won’t be able to play a games or watch Netflix.

#3 notsoretro

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:52 PM

For $205.60 you can get 13g per 30 days and unlimited calls, texts and MMS from Kogan valid for 365 days. I know ALDI use Telstra towers, Kogan use Vodaphone.  You can check the coverage map on the website

Edited by notsoretro, 15 December 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#4 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:56 PM

Im a heavy app user / browser / email user and use less than 3gb a month.  But I dont use my data for gaming and rarely for streaming video or music or social media.

Netflix uses approx. 1gb per hour in standard mode.  Streaming music such as spotify is about 40mg per hour

#5 Quick hedgehog

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:18 PM

Oh ok, I wasn't thinking of gaming or watching movies. We don't have any netflix or anything else, so he can't do that anyway.  He will still be able to do whatever he wants on the wifi at home.

I was just thinking it would give him some access to his snapchat or instagram when away from home.  Would it be enough to do that?

#6 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 15 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

I use 8GB per month for my mobile/iPad plus DHs iPad... 3 devices on the 1 account. We hardly ever use more than half that (so 4gb per month). I use it forEB, emails, FB, Instagram etc. no streaming of music or TV though.

My kids use 3GB Kogan plan. They manage their data. It is helpful for planning on public transport. The Kogan app lets you know how much data you have used and how long until it refreshes.

#7 can'tstayaway

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:54 PM

I just checked my last few bills...I use about 2-3GB per month when at home. When away, it spikes as I prefer not to use public wifi and will stream shows at night.

One of my high school aged children catches the bus to and from school and it has free wifi. They also have wifi at school so usually uses less than 2GB per month. Another child doesn’t have the same wifi access and uses about 5-12GB per month depending on how much video streaming occurs (much of it is school work related).

Optus have deals where family can share their data allowance which might work. Or Telstra allows you to buy data packs to top up data usage.

#8 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:02 PM

My 15yr old DD who is on the Aldi $15 plan has learnt to use her phone data when out and there is no free WiFi. As soon as she gets home she switches it on to the home network. She gets buy and is more than happy on the plan she is on.

One of the kids in her class has unlimited data on his phone(parents have money) and so he makes money at school by selling his data. You give him money, he gives you the password. Then after an agreed amount of time, he changes the password. DD said on a really good day he has taken home $100.

#9 Quick hedgehog

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:20 PM

Thanks GlitteryElfFarts. Your daughter manages ok on that?  I truly was only thinking of him being able to send the odd snap chat or check his insta.  Surely it would be enough for that?

Frankly he is rarely away from home unless walking to and from school or at sport. When we are out as a family I wouldn't want him on his phone anyway, so he won't have much window to use it.

#10 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

View PostQuick hedgehog, on 15 December 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

Thanks GlitteryElfFarts. Your daughter manages ok on that?  I truly was only thinking of him being able to send the odd snap chat or check his insta.  Surely it would be enough for that?

Frankly he is rarely away from home unless walking to and from school or at sport. When we are out as a family I wouldn't want him on his phone anyway, so he won't have much window to use it.
She actually has 1gb some months to roll over. She uses Snapchat a LOT and she manages just fine.

#11 iwanttosleepin

Posted 15 December 2019 - 03:30 PM

I use less than 1.5 gb a month myself.  I don't stream video when I am not on wi-fi.  (I have it locked so my 5 year old accidentally doesn't either).

I use it for lots of stuff all the time and never run out.  I use Facebook, EB, car sales.com, realestate.com etc without an issue.  I also use google maps and email.  I don't download big attachments while on data.

My 14 year old uses less than 2 gb a month as well.  He mostly uses social media.  He also doesn't stream except on wi-fi.  he uses snapchat, instagram and tiktok.

#12 liveworkplay

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:29 PM

My girls have 2G. It is plenty to use when out and about. At home they hook up to our wifi. I have 10gb and generally only use half per month. I have no idea how people use hundreds unless then are constantly streaming.

#13 Chocolate Addict

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:44 PM

My 14yo has 1gb a month and has never gone over. He is often watching videos and listening to music etc...

I had 2gb on my phone at one stage and had another phone tethered to it and rarely went over on data.

3gb is a good amount, and if not, a good way to teach them about data usage. :)

#14 Jingleflea

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:48 PM

I have 1.5g a month mobile data. I've never used it all and I use it to FB and chat etc when waiting for DD to get out of school etc. I play the odd game of candy Crush or check emails too.

If I want to watch something via netflix later on I download it at home using wifi and then watch it without using mobile data.

#15 lozoodle

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

Gosh I'd shop around. I have a $40 a month plan on Vodafone month to month so no lock in and get 52gb

#16 Delirium

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:19 PM

Boost has a special until 16/12 for 80GB for the year for $135 and unlimited calls and texts. It works out to about 6.5GB/month which is plenty if you’re not streaming.

#17 MissMilla

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:13 PM

I have 2GB a month and i use my phone pretty freely. Its rare that i run out. Although i do make sure that i send photos/videos when on wifi if possible.
Also internet phone calls might burn quite a bit, but texting, looking stuff up, maps, checking intagram, emails etc is fine.

#18 Jingleflea

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

For some reason my Samsung only lets me send pictures via text using mobile data.
But not in Messenger.

#19 Hands Up

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:37 PM

I have 3 GB. It’s plenty for what I use my iPhone for particularly as I’m on wifi at home. When out and about I listen to Spotify, check social media and gmail and use google maps.

#20 Grrrumbles

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

I think you can buy data packs to boost the basic Aldi pack. They have a year long pre-paid deal at the moment that includes some data but it is probably a lot more than you are paying now.

#21 The Little Engine

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:35 PM

2 of my kids have the 3gig plan from Aldi. I swapped over from Telstra to the same plan. I generally only use 1.5-2.5 g - emails, Facebook, EB etc etc. Aldi plan rolls over too - so after a few months I have nearly 7 gig rollover.

#22 Prancer is coming

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

I would think that is heaps of data.  Until recently, my mobile plan was 1gb.  I would use it for an hour a day on public transport on my 2 work days a week and general checking when not at home.  I tend to check emails, Facebook, class dojo, message, open up email attachments and watch short videos on class dojo or seesaw.  If I am on the bus or out and about with time up my sleeve, I might play candy crush, look at EB or search the net.

i would occasionally go over my data, but would just suck it up and go without, as I really don’t want to be on the net when out and about and I pay for u limited downloads at home.  Is he keen for more data?  If not, I would probably not want to encourage more phone use.

#23 Quick hedgehog

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:02 PM

Thanks,  it sounds like 3gb will be ample for what he needs.

That Boost plan looks good but in all honesty I don't really want him to have that much data if the object is to teach him how to manage his usage.  I would rather suck it up and pay more to restrict him a bit.  

At the moment I can control his wifi access, and if he had access to that much data, he could do whatever he wanted on his phone and it wouldn't matter if I cut off his internet. I don't think he is ready for that yet.

#24 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostGlitteryElfFarts, on 15 December 2019 - 03:02 PM, said:

One of the kids in her class has unlimited data on his phone(parents have money) and so he makes money at school by selling his data. You give him money, he gives you the password. Then after an agreed amount of time, he changes the password. DD said on a really good day he has taken home $100.
I went to the Year 7 orientation session recently. Once the kids went off to do something and it was just the parents left in the school hall, the principal and Year Coordinator started talking about mobiles phones and cautioned against giving kids large data allowances for this reason. From the school's perspective, the kids don't need a phone for school work and students are able to use the school wifi for any school-related work. Apparently "renting mobile data" can be rampant at school and has caused issues. Their strong suggestion was that less is better.

#25 PoolsideMasterchef

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostQuick hedgehog, on 15 December 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

Oh ok, I wasn't thinking of gaming or watching movies. We don't have any netflix or anything else, so he can't do that anyway.  He will still be able to do whatever he wants on the wifi at home.

I was just thinking it would give him some access to his snapchat or instagram when away from home.  Would it be enough to do that?

It should be enough for insta unless hes a really heavy user (the stories contain videos)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.