Digital Wall Calendar

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

I love a good paper wall calendar, but i hate having to double up by then putting all my appointments into my google calendar.  So I want a digital wall calendar.  Does anyone have one going?

I want:
A month of calendar constantly on display
The current week magnified with details
Date and Time soemwhere
Maybe the weather foracast
Must use my google calendar
Must not have a monthly subscription
Prefer to not require an electrician to install it

I figure i have the option of using an app on an old tablet, or hooking up an LCD display, like DAKboard uses.  I have a spot earmarked in teh kitchen, it has a power point nearby, so whatever i use can be plugged in without too much hastle.

Any ideas appreciated.

#2 Mollyksy

Posted 15 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

No ideas but what a fantastic idea!!

#3 leosmum

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:45 PM

Start a business LemonMyrtle!! It’s a great idea 💡

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 December 2019 - 04:47 PM

View Postleosmum, on 15 December 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

Start a business LemonMyrtle!! It’s a great idea

Surely it exists already though?
DAKBoard is one I found. And there are family calendar apps. The technology and apps are there. I feel like this should exist and be cheap at Kmart already, lol.

#5 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:01 PM

This would be perfect for us too!! I could send them to dh and have reminders on my phone when I’m out...

#6 Mollyksy

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:40 PM

The more I think about it, the more I want it! Friends richer than me have a fridge that I think could do this. Why hasn't anyone marketed this? Are we all burnt by the electric photo frames of the past?!!

#7 Mollyksy

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

Plus a shopping list in the corner! So you could touch and enter and it syncs to phones and computers of everyone.

I waaaaant!

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

I print 2 months (current and next) at a time from iCal and put that on the fridge. I update the electronic calendar, but also occasionally write stuff on the fridge, but mostly in the current month. I make sure anything on the fridge is updated before printing the new month's calendar.

The clocks on the wall and oven and my phone cover everything else for me.

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostMollyksy, on 15 December 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

The more I think about it, the more I want it! Friends richer than me have a fridge that I think could do this. Why hasn't anyone marketed this? Are we all burnt by the electric photo frames of the past?!!

Hahaha. Maybe.

Maybe it’s too simple? Maybe I do have to just put an iPad on the wall? But the screen doesn’t stay on. I want something a bit like a kindle, simple graphics, long battery life, no complications. Just a calendar.

#10 creatamum

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:07 PM

We just use an Amazon echo show, we have it set to show daily but it has monthly view. It can sync multiple calenders so each of us set reminders and they all appear. We set most of our reminders by voice so it makes it easier.

https://i.imgur.com/rocuaCg.png

#11 tothebeach

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

View Postleosmum, on 15 December 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

Start a business LemonMyrtle!! It’s a great idea 💡

Yes!  yes!  And do add the shopping list

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:52 AM

View Posttothebeach, on 15 December 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

Yes!  yes!  And do add the shopping list

Good idea. DH and I already use a shared google keep list for the grocery list. Have you tried that? Works really well. But having it in the kitchen would be handy if I had a big tablet device on the wall.

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:39 AM

OK, so the closest off the shelf thing i can find is a "home hub", thats what theyre calling them.  Like this one from lenovo
https://www.thegoodg...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Amazon have their own, lenovo have an alexa one, they all seem linked to the voice-operated, creepy stalking systems.
But, i am sure it will work fine even without the creepy staliking voice in my home (and we have alexa already, so who cares at this stage)
Might try the lenovo one, its pretty cheap for what it is.  Just wish the screen was bigger.

#14 Heather11

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:13 AM

It's even cheaper through amazon,

I would definitely buy something like that.  Over the years I have switched between a wall calendar, google calander, diary.

I actually have a cheap windows tablet.  I think I might set it up with the calendar on a put it permanently in the kitchen and start using google calendar properly.

OP, if you do get the lenovo one, please come back and give a review.

#15 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

View PostHeather11, on 16 December 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

It's even cheaper through amazon,

I would definitely buy something like that.  Over the years I have switched between a wall calendar, google calander, diary.

I actually have a cheap windows tablet.  I think I might set it up with the calendar on a put it permanently in the kitchen and start using google calendar properly.

OP, if you do get the lenovo one, please come back and give a review.

im not sure i will, i want something that has definite tablet capabilities so i can potentially use a custom calendar app, rather than the basic apps they have included in their google home hub.

This one looks more promising
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/smart-tab

but alexa doesnt have all the features we need in australia yet (like family sharing)  so thats putting me off. Currenly only DH can use our alexa via the alexa app. So annoying.

Currently trying to charge my ancient Asus eee pad, to see if it will do the job, temporarily.  And of course it wont charge cause the cable is dead.

#16 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

I've wanted this for a long time.  Is there one that will display a page from a website (where I have the family calendar) or do I just go with a locked down cheapest tablet?

#17 creatamum

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:54 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 16 December 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

im not sure i will, i want something that has definite tablet capabilities so i can potentially use a custom calendar app, rather than the basic apps they have included in their google home hub.

This one looks more promising
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/smart-tab

but alexa doesnt have all the features we need in australia yet (like family sharing)  so thats putting me off. Currenly only DH can use our alexa via the alexa app. So annoying.

Currently trying to charge my ancient Asus eee pad, to see if it will do the job, temporarily.  And of course it wont charge cause the cable is dead.

We use family sharing, it is limited to 2 adults and then we added kids using freetime which limits their music choices and they can not call out or receive calls on their account.To switch between adult accounts you just say Alexa switch to xxx, for children freetime needs to be switched on in the app and switched off before calls and adult content can be accessed from that device again.

#18 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

View Postcreatamum, on 16 December 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

We use family sharing, it is limited to 2 adults and then we added kids using freetime which limits their music choices and they can not call out or receive calls on their account.To switch between adult accounts you just say Alexa switch to xxx, for children freetime needs to be switched on in the app and switched off before calls and adult content can be accessed from that device again.

Might have to try again. We couldn’t get it to work at all. If I tried to connect, it would force you to reconnect the whole damn thing from scratch and delete the other user.

#19 creatamum

Posted 16 December 2019 - 03:34 PM

Try this I think this is the guide we used

https://au.pcmag.com...ame-amazon-echo

#20 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:59 PM

View Postcreatamum, on 16 December 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

Try this I think this is the guide we used

https://au.pcmag.com...ame-amazon-echo

think its working now! thanks.

So thats another vote for the Lenovov tablet with alexa dock then.  Just wish the screen was bigger, and its hard to tell how customisable the home screen will be,  i need my calendar visible constantly.  My memory is shocking.

#21 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

So just an update.  Couldnt find a home hub that would permanently display a calendar.

So i dug out my old ipad mini, downloaded google calendar, and set it up so that it never turns off and put it on my kitchen bench.

Its been a week and i think its working well.  I can see my calendar at a glance, i can add appointments, or alarms, on the fly, and it even has siri.  The google calendar app is well laid out and even put a swimming picture on the appointment that said "swimming", which is very google-like of it.  I like it. I am very close to throwing out my paper calendar.

Only problem is, its an ipad mini and the display is far too tiny for my eyes, and its old, so its very slow, and it needs to be permanently plugged in to stay on all day, so the cable is there. but, its good enough.  When DH gets a new ipad, ill switch to his full-sized one.  ANd ill also hang it to my pantry door eventually, which is right near the power point, so should work.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 29 January 2020 - 03:55 PM.

#22 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 16 December 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

OK, so the closest off the shelf thing i can find is a "home hub", thats what theyre calling them.  Like this one from lenovo
https://www.thegoodg...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Amazon have their own, lenovo have an alexa one, they all seem linked to the voice-operated, creepy stalking systems.
But, i am sure it will work fine even without the creepy staliking voice in my home (and we have alexa already, so who cares at this stage)
Might try the lenovo one, its pretty cheap for what it is.  Just wish the screen was bigger.

Yes my neighbour has the lenovo one as her calendar and you can turn off the listening (google assistant) if you dont feel comfortable with it.  Or your old tablet idea is a good one. You can get 3rd party calendar apps if you dont like the google calendar.

#23 Mollyksy

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

That sounds so great!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.