Maccas kicks out racist franchisee

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

After Rob Vigors, franchisee of Maccas in Mildura, was caught on camera with his wife harassing their indigenous neighbours for not being "aboriginal enough" to fly the flag, twitter hashtag #toostrongforyoukaren started trending.

The hashtag was a response to the indigenous man asking Karen if the flag was too strong for her as she tried, and failed, to pull it down.  Many people using the hashtag also @'ed Maccas.

Maccas has acted swiftly and removed Mr Vigors from his two stores.  He apparently no longer has anything to do with them.

I find this interesting in light of the religious discrimination bill.

How many people will take advantage of this new law, if it passes, to let their hatred show?

And how many of those people will then be taken down by the power of social media?

We live in interesting times.

#2 Lees75

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:57 PM

I was born and brought up in Mildura, and my brother worked at McDonalds, under that same owner, over 20 years ago.

An impressive, quick response from Maccas. I wonder what will come of it....

#3 Mmmcheese

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:58 PM

It's fascinating isn't it? Corporations are quite a force of their own.

#4 Mmmcheese

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:59 PM

I'm looking forward to the Jones/bolt moral hypocrisy. (Not really.)

#5 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:02 PM

Good. Revolting personality trait.

#6 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:12 PM

I fully expect a “victim” approach.. as in we have been unfairly attacked on social media and look what’s happened to us!!
I wonder if there is a religious text that claims those of darker skin are lesser... although his argument seems to be he’s not “dark enough”.

#7 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

Good...

But no doubt they will cry poor us, we are the victim!

Her FB page has disappeared. His is still there.

#8 tarrie cat

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:20 PM

I agree that they're going to be turned into the victims by Murdoch's media. Which, of course, they're not.

I have to admit I sniggered when I saw Maccas response because I bet they thought nothing would happen and they'd get away with their hideous behaviour. But surely I'm not the only one who's shocked that it's Maccas showing the way...

#9 Chchgirl

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:22 PM

So embarrassing.  Go home Karen.

#10 Chelli

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:50 PM

Happy to see such a swift response to an awful attitude.

#11 Black Velvet

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:52 PM

Wow. So not only racist, but entitled enough to believe they can just step foot onto someone else's property and try to remove something belonging to the people who live there.

And I never understand how some are so stupid to behave like this when pretty much everyone has a mobile phone handy to film your behaviour and then show it to the world.

I did laugh at her name being Karen. I thought that was a joke in the "I want to speak to your manager" Karen.

#12 Freddie'sMum

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

Yes, I agree with BB above.  They will paint themselves as the victims here.

#13 #notallcats

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:21 PM

I foresee a gofundme page to mount a legal case against McDonalds (like Israel Falou), citing "freedom of speech" with donations pouring in.  

Bolt with be all over it, he still continues to question the motives of "light skinned" people who identify as Aboriginal.

#14 purplekitty

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:21 PM

I'd like to see the details,is he completely removed or still the owner reaping profit while someone else manages the stores.

Perhaps he was paid out by Maccas which might suit him.

Karen owns a travel agency,I wonder how that will turn out,will all the bigots and racists run to give it business.

#15 BadCat

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:39 PM

Maccas said "he is no longer part of the network".

I don't know whether they have any kind of clause in the franchise agreement that could force him out for something like this, but I'm guessing Maccas bought him out.  There'd be no shortage of people waiting to buy a franchise so it's not like it's gonna cost Maccas anything in the long run.

#16 27plus

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

it seems there is some personal history that posters are privy to?

#17 SplashingRainbows

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:45 PM

The guardian stated McDonald’s was buying back the restaurant.

I’m quite sure there will be a financial loss to the franchisee. Franchisors set themselves up contractually to come out better off in these situations.

#18 Murderino

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:49 PM

She’s already started - I saw this posted to Twitter

Attached File  6D123F9E-2BBA-4DA1-80F0-3A4EAB5E447F.jpeg   88.29K   379 downloads

#19 purplekitty

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:50 PM

View Post27plus, on 15 December 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

Their names were outed last night on Twitter.
Karen's FB page was full of unpleasant racist and other memes.

#20 Mrs Zee

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:53 PM

Where?

#21 Paddlepop

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

There were posts last night in the Australian Politics thread.

Here's the journalist's twitter who picked up the story:
https://twitter.com/...funnell?lang=en

Original poster of the tweet. It was her parents in the video.
https://twitter.com/toostrong4karen

#22 Lees75

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:07 PM

They own/ed one of the most successful McDonalds in the country (well, at least it was in the 90s), mostly due to location. I am sure they will be financially ok.

#23 RynandStompy

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:08 PM

View PostMmmcheese, on 15 December 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to the Jones/bolt moral hypocrisy. (Not really.)

Side bet, will Murdoch get in first to repaint the scenario  it was victimisation (via Bolt et al) of poor white people being made viral.
Or KAK on her TV morning segment?
And AFR...they'll have an angle too.

And they'll do their best to dig up anything they can carve up and twist back at that poor family. Hate will come along in 3,2,1

#24 gruidae

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:10 PM

Well the joke is "Karen" is a white woman who continually asks to speak to the manager. The fact this woman's name is Karen is why it's gone viral. Dad being cool as a cucumber under provocation means Karen isn't going to live this down anytime soon.
" It's too strong for you Karen"
""Go down the river and live in your humpy then"
"Goodnight Karen"

Dad is golden! Quite the talented artist, too.

#25 gruidae

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

View PostRynandStompy, on 15 December 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

S

And they'll do their best to dig up anything they can carve up and twist back at that poor family. Hate will come along in 3,2,1

Well, Karen has already started. She's accused them of eating her cat. It's like racist bingo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.