Party planning advice needed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SMforshort

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:50 PM

Please help plan a party.

Your brief:

Location Sydney
When Sunday lunch in August (so expect cold and windy)
Why 50th wedding anniversary
How many 40 guests
Budget up to $2000 but happy to spend less :)
Guests aged 4 to 80 (incl 7 under 12)

Open to all ideas, especially something a little bit different.

#2 Hands Up

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

I think you need to give a region in Sydney:-)

#3 SMforshort

Posted 15 December 2019 - 08:59 PM

We're in the north west but happy to travel

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:19 PM

Sit down or standing?

If spend is an issue, I recently had my birthday in Pymble Hotel, it's just a pub but the area they have functions in is nice, a few different areas so good for multi ages as people kind of find their own nook. Not fancy, but really good value, food is good, and a lovely old pub feel. PM me if you want photos.

I haven't been there but I've heard the Ettamogah in Kellyville is nice for parties, and the functions coordinator we used in Pymble moved there and she was fantastic.

There's a golf club I tried to book several times but always wasn't early enough, but can't remember what it was. Had a lovely functions area that was all glass overlooking the greens, but completely indoor. Cammeray? Mosman? Something in that vicinity.

Some people do Killara golf club but their quotes were expensive. Has balcony that overlooks the green though.

Edited by CallMeFeral, 15 December 2019 - 10:21 PM.

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 15 December 2019 - 11:29 PM

Not sure on the budget, but we have had some fantastic family functions at Vaucluse House tea rooms/restaurant.  

#6 Lifesgood

Posted 16 December 2019 - 05:24 AM

That’s $50/head or less which means you need somewhere like a pub or club probably rather than a restaurant. And in the height of winter so indoors.

Perhaps a Rowing Club?
Or a large pub?

#7 Luci

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:23 AM

View PostLifesgood, on 16 December 2019 - 05:24 AM, said:

That’s $50/head or less which means you need somewhere like a pub or club probably rather than a restaurant. And in the height of winter so indoors.

Perhaps a Rowing Club?
Or a large pub?

I was thinking along the same lines - maybe look around for pubs / clubs around your area.  A restaurant might be a stretch for that sort of event where people tend to hang around for a longer period of time. You would want at least a 2 course meal with drinks & tea and coffee, not just a quick light meal.

#8 Riotproof

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

I agree about the club.

I’ve heard good things about Baulkham hills bowling club.

#9 Bereckii

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

Or a golf course? E.g. Lynwood Golf Course Pitt Town.

Riverside Oaks golf course has a lovely setting. It's pretty far out though. And not sure on event prices (their normal menu prices are reasonable though)

Edited by Bereckii, 16 December 2019 - 09:16 AM.

#10 Chocolate Addict

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

$2000 won't get you much if it is 80 people. As others have suggested, try pubs or sporting club type venues.
A lot of places have minimum spend for function rooms too. Last function I booked minimum spend was $2500 and there was a minimum bar spend too (in Melbourne)

#11 SMforshort

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:02 PM

Lots of great suggestions.  I'll look into the pub idea and look up some of the venues suggested.  Thanks everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.