Braces For Adults?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:47 PM

DS17 got his braces off today and I'm really happy with the results. But I started thinking about my time braces and how I ****ed up the results.

I got braces when I was 16 and my teeth got pulled in and made nice and neat. Due to my poor after care and failure to keep using my retainer resulted in my top teeth returning to a poor state.

I'm 39 and I want nice straight teeth. Is it possible for an adult to get braces? What options are out there now?

I will have a chat with DS orthodontist on his follow up appointment in a few weeks.

Edited by ImperatorFuriosa, 16 December 2019 - 08:48 PM.

#2 400

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

Invisalign!

I have known a number of people to have adult braces- the traditional kind. Whilst I think your teeth are probably nowhere near as bad as you think they are, I also think that having confidence in your own smile is one of the most empowering things you can have (my life changed after braces)

#3 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:16 PM

View Post400, on 16 December 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

Invisalign!

I have known a number of people to have adult braces- the traditional kind. Whilst I think your teeth are probably nowhere near as bad as you think they are, I also think that having confidence in your own smile is one of the most empowering things you can have (my life changed after braces)

I googled it and seems like a good option.

#4 FeralZombieSanta

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:18 PM

My DH recently had braces, along with 3 of our kids.
DH was so excited and happy to finally get his braces that he should have had 25 years earlier.

The orthodontist treats a lot of adults with braces, it's becoming quite common.

#5 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:26 PM

I did Invisalign last year to fix up previously straightened teeth that were really out of line. The top teeth only took 8 plates (16wks) and the improvement was amazing. I was no longer self conscious of my tooth sticking out.

My bottom teeth need to be done too but that is another story.

#6 Prancer is coming

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

I think it is pretty common in adults now?  Where I work, we had 2 young new employees in the space of about 2 years that both had braces on as adults.  It was one of the first things they did when they started earning a wage and could afford it.  It certainly showed me how important good teeth are to people.

Edited by Prancer is coming, 16 December 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#7 -Emissary-

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:42 PM

I got braces when I was in my mid 20s. Best decision ever. I had it on for 2 years. A couple of my friends are now getting theirs.

I chose traditional braces with clear brackets over Invisalign because it was cheaper and it faster. I also didn’t like the idea of needing to constantly remove and put on Invisalign as it hurts. I didn’t find the traditional braces to hurt at all even when I first had it put on.

I would still choose traditional braces again if I need them in the future.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 16 December 2019 - 11:51 PM

I spoke briefly to my children’s orthodontist about this. He recommends traditional braces to achieve a better result, quicker than Invisalign. He doesn’t do Invisalign himself, but I made an appointment with his colleague to discuss it, and my next appointment is in January to discuss my options.

One of my colleagues had Invisalign, and he stopped snoring! He’s had a great result.

#9 avocado toast

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:20 AM

I had Invisalign at 34 to re straighten my teeth that had moved since braces as a teenager.

You have to wear a retainer for life to keep them straight though - something to keep in mind

#10 SummerStar

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:02 AM

I did invisalign in my 30s. Personally wouldn't have done traditional braces at this stage but glad I did the invisalign. There's only limited treatment they can do when you're older. When young they can do heaps more to change the jaw shape etc but not something they seem to do later on.

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

View PostSummerStar, on 17 December 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

I did invisalign in my 30s. Personally wouldn't have done traditional braces at this stage but glad I did the invisalign. There's only limited treatment they can do when you're older. When young they can do heaps more to change the jaw shape etc but not something they seem to do later on.

2 of my children have had palate expanders. We met someone while they were having treatment who, as an adult, had surgery to achieve the same result, but I don’t think most adults would want to go through that.

#12 SFmummyto3

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

View Postavocado toast, on 17 December 2019 - 06:20 AM, said:

I had Invisalign at 34 to re straighten my teeth that had moved since braces as a teenager.

You have to wear a retainer for life to keep them straight though - something to keep in mind

Do you wear the retainer just at night?

I would love Invisalign also!

#13 SummerStar

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:35 AM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 17 December 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

2 of my children have had palate expanders. We met someone while they were having treatment who, as an adult, had surgery to achieve the same result, but I don’t think most adults would want to go through that.

My friend had surgery in her early 30s and she is a dentist. It didn't have the best results as she would have had if done younger. She said to me it isn't as easy or successful as an adult which is where I got that from. They can still do it, results are just better younger.

View PostSFmummyto3, on 17 December 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

Do you wear the retainer just at night?

I would love Invisalign also!

I have fixed. I hated the aligners and would hate to have to continue wearing them every night. So I have fixed and never have to worry about taking them in and out again. The kids have fixed too, don't even notice them after the first few days.

#14 Lyra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:58 AM

I'm getting my braces on today! :omg:

In my teenage years I was diagnosed with a significant overbite and had braces through a dental hospital. After my wisdom teeth were removed in my 20s everything went bad. I went from a lovely smile to a complete mess; it was almost as bad as before my braces. Because I had the braces as a teen I couldn't stand the thought of going back to braces. My dentist kept recommending that I should get braces because of significant overcrowding at the bottom. So, I went and saw an orthodontist who told me I never had an overbite but I actually have a underbite.

The braces going on today are just the first step. I will actually be having jaw surgery to bring my jaw forward and inline. This is partially for cosmetic reasons (I actively avoid photos I hate the way I look so much) but also because there are other issues at play too.

Wish me luck!

#15 CaSPer79

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

I did Invisalign at 39 for a year. In retainers nightly since 2 months ago. Was just to close the gap in my two front teeth and straighten the bottom ones a little. I had braces as a teen and it's very common for adults to go back for treatment again after not wearing the retainers at night. My ortho back then never told me if was for life so probably quit wearing the retains after 2yrs.

Hardly anyone knew I had braces. Expect those close who picked up on my lisp.
The annoying thing was having to brush multiple time a day before putting the trays back in. Because you're only supposed to have water with them in, everything else your supposed to take them out.
But I am glad I did it and I have more confidence now when speaking to others.

#16 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:05 PM

I know upwards of 10+ adults that have had braces in the past few years. Becoming more common.

There are 3 people in my office who currently have braces on their teeth - a 24yo, a 31yo and a 46 yo. My boss (in their 60s) had substantial dental work done last year too (permanent teeth put in to fill gaps, etc)

#17 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:08 PM

View Post-Emissary-, on 16 December 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

I chose traditional braces with clear brackets over Invisalign because it was cheaper and it faster. I also didn’t like the idea of needing to constantly remove and put on Invisalign as it hurts. I didn’t find the traditional braces to hurt at all even when I first had it put on.

I would still choose traditional braces again if I need them in the future.

Most of the people I know have done this as well.

Invisalign is well marketed though.

#18 SummerStar

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:19 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 17 December 2019 - 01:08 PM, said:

Most of the people I know have done this as well.

Invisalign is well marketed though.

It is and probably preferable for many adults to be honest. For us the braces were the same cost as invisalign. I chose braces for my kids because I didn't trust them to put them in and out. I didn't mind putting them in and out, meant I didn't have to be careful with what I ate, and could go without them for periods of needed etc. I would have been so self concious with fixed.

#19 FeralZombieSanta

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:21 PM

View PostLyra, on 17 December 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

The braces going on today are just the first step. I will actually be having jaw surgery to bring my jaw forward and inline. This is partially for cosmetic reasons (I actively avoid photos I hate the way I look so much) but also because there are other issues at play too.

My DH had 2 lots of jaw surgery - both upper and lower jaw were adjusted first time round. Surgeon wasn't 100% happy with the results of the first lot and 2nd time round only one jaw was adjusted.

DH has no regrets with the braces or surgeries. Only wished we could have afforded it years earlier.

#20 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:50 PM

Good luck Lyra. I had jaw surgery when I was 19. It was really hard going for the first two weeks. I was off work for 6 weeks in total.

#21 Lyra

Posted 17 December 2019 - 05:52 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 17 December 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

Good luck Lyra. I had jaw surgery when I was 19. It was really hard going for the first two weeks. I was off work for 6 weeks in total.

thanks! The jaw surgery is awhile off and I am NOT looking forward to it. I have planned that I will take a fair bit of time off work to heal up.

Not happy with the braces right now. Everything feels weird and I am having trouble eating but it's not as bad as having two teeth extracted last week. I am just focussing on the end goal of a nice smile!

#22 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 17 December 2019 - 06:34 PM

View PostCaSPer79, on 17 December 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

I did Invisalign at 39 for a year. In retainers nightly since 2 months ago. Was just to close the gap in my two front teeth and straighten the bottom ones a little. I had braces as a teen and it's very common for adults to go back for treatment again after not wearing the retainers at night. My ortho back then never told me if was for life so probably quit wearing the retains after 2yrs.

Hardly anyone knew I had braces. Expect those close who picked up on my lisp.
The annoying thing was having to brush multiple time a day before putting the trays back in. Because you're only supposed to have water with them in, everything else your supposed to take them out.
But I am glad I did it and I have more confidence now when speaking to others.

How much did invisalign cost you?

#23 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:54 PM

View PostImperatorFuriosa, on 17 December 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

How much did invisalign cost you?

The quote I got a few weeks ago was for $9K

#24 SummerStar

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

Definitely worth shopping around. Good to get recommendations of a few places from those that have used them near you and then get a few qootes. Some places are up and over $10k others are $5-6k. It will also depend on the type of case you need. There's a few different levels with different pricing. My full case was $6k. Across the road it would have been $8.5k.

#25 LucyGoose

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

My DH had braces in his 40’s.  It took 2 years and cost about $7k.  His teeth were absolutely shocking and now are just perfect.  
He did find them painful at times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.