I guess this belongs here

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Percival

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

We have had concerns for our 7 year old son for a little while. His achievement at school seems wildly unpredictable. One day he is reading at an extremely high level and writing beautiful stories, the next he can barely put pen to paper. We have had many discussions with his very kind and dedicated grade one teacher. He unfortunately just comes across as a lazy kid :(. However, he hates letting people down, is incredibly thoughtful and kind and lack of effort didn't make sense. He has had a tough couple of years and has managed to cope but has anxiety.
We decided to have him assessed through Krongold Clinic and (I am still waiting on final report and recommendations) the pre report interview was very overwhelming.  He has some areas where he is highly intelligent, particularly around problem solving and language, I feel bad as I can't really remember as I was so overwhelmed by it all. However he has much slower processing, still within the average range but on the cusp of low average. He also has difficulty around executive functions such as starting tasks.
Obviously the clinic will help us navigate this,  but I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with very high intelligence but slower processing.

#2 ipsee

Posted 17 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

One of my kids has very slow processing speed and we get erratic results too. I don't totally understand it to be honest, except that when they are staring off looking vague, they are actually overwhelmed and can't process anything further, so miss the instructions etc.

I hope someone else has some useful info for you!

#3 Prancer is coming

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

My kid has a verbal score in the gifted range and a working memory in the bottom 27%.  His processing score was average.  He had ADHD and a learning disability around his writing.  My understanding is ADHD IQ tests often show lower memory and processing scores.  My other child with average IQ had a low average working memory and was unable to get a processing score as his results were erratic.  Verbal was high average.

Not to say your child has ADHD, and IQ scores certainly is not how you diagnose it.  My child’s wide range of scores with deemed statistically significant and occurred in something like less than 5% of the population, indicating it was an issue.  So frustrating when they are smart but don’t have the tools to deal with the info in their heads.  Mine also was tested on some academic areas and was pretty average in basic reading and spelling (so stuff that needed memory and processing skill) yet came out really high on more academically advanced stuff like maths and comprehension.  

you should get a report that breaks it down and makes recommendations.  The educational psychologist thst did our tests said she has never come across a lazy kid, and there is generally a reason kids are acting in a way it is defined by others as lazy.

#4 Quay11

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:48 AM

Yes I'm familiar to this too. My Year 2 kid was not doing any work at school and her teachers didn't think she was able too and that I had too high expectations. It didn't sound right to me because she was incredibly verbally precocious and was a very good reader.

First stop for me was an IQ test which showed her in the gifted range. My first thoughts are that she was bored so I tried some more extension activities outside of school with mixed results.

In Year 3 she started blinking which then moved to head nodding and a strange hand shake movement and sniffing. She has an underlying immune system issue so I got that side checked first and her opthalmologist found no new eye issues and she didn't show signs of asthma. Did a bit of googling and found she was ticking an awful lot of boxes for Tourette's Syndrome. After a couple of appointments with a Neurologist she had a confirmed diagnosis of Tourette's and then I also started looking at co-morbids and we've since added ADHD (she doesn't show hyperactivity but the executive functioning is way off) and then anxiety and OCD.

It's a process, but keep going :) every test you learn something! She is in Year 5 and still has ups and downs but she has really hooked into the academics more this year and is finally starting to show what she is capable of. Next concern will be high school and how that goes...

#5 Quay11

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:50 AM

View PostPrancer is coming, on 19 December 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

The educational psychologist thst did our tests said she has never come across a lazy kid, and there is generally a reason kids are acting in a way it is defined by others as lazy.

Oh gosh this is great! I wish there was a pathway for all "lazy kids" at school to get some basic screening done with a view to provide appropriate support.

#6 hoohoobump

Posted 20 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostQuay11, on 20 December 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

Oh gosh this is great! I wish there was a pathway for all "lazy kids" at school to get some basic screening done with a view to provide appropriate support.

Always makes me think of the ‘kids will do well if they can’. They are usually trying really hard.

#7 Prancer is coming

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:32 PM

Quay11 said:

1576795816[/url]' post='18531646']

Wouldn’t this be great.

Also, I assumed teachers would be experts in picking up any issues students may have.  I was wrong.  I think if any kid presents with pretty typical symptoms and extreme behaviour, they will be identified, but the rest will only be if you get a fantastic teacher or trust your own gut and get testing done privately.

Also, there is usually a heap of information on gifted students on the state education website.  Any psych report usually calls scores in the top 2% gifted.  However, the education department’s definition is generally the top 10%, or even 15%. A score on the cusp of low average will most likely drag the full scale iq down, though how much depends on what the scores were on the other items.  So if your child’s full scale IQ is not in the top 2%, don’t assume they cannot access a gifted program at school.

Edited by Prancer is coming, 20 December 2019 - 10:32 PM.

#8 Steph116

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

I had my son assessed at the krongold centre when he was 4 (now almost 10).  He has a very mixed profile, his IQ is extremely high but his processing speed is very low and his executive functioning is problematic.  We have had good years and bad years with school, he is now quite behind in literacy but a long way ahead in maths.  It's also very hard to get school work targeted at the right level for him, he has ADHD, so if it is too easy he gets bored and doesn't do it, if it is too hard he gets overwhelmed and doesn't do it, if it doesn't interest him he zones out and doesn't do it.  I don't have any real advice except work with the teachers as much as possible so that they understand his strengths and weaknesses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.