Best advice you've been given (spin off)

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 teaspoon

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:50 PM

I don't need any more angst this Xmas... I'd love to hear the best, and most meaningful, advice you've been given!

#2 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:56 PM

POPULAR

when eating a taco (or a burrito) lay *another* burrito on your plate, and eat over it, then everything that invariably falls out of the burrito you’re eating, forms the start of another burrito...

(that’s actually from my son - he’s a thinker).

#3 Lyra

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 22 December 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

when eating a taco (or a burrito) lay *another* burrito on your plate, and eat over it, then everything that invariably falls out of the burrito you’re eating, forms the start of another burrito...

OM*G that is genius!

Although, it means I would probably never stop eating burritos LOL

#4 Ivy Ivy

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

From my career mentor -

Nobody at work will ever take you aside and sit you down and with sympathy and a pat on the leg tell you that you're working too hard and should give yourself a break.
(Usually because either they don't care much, or their life is better if you do more of the work.)
He said, it is up to you to manage your own workload, and not burn out over the many busy years in this career.  This includes discussing with those above you, what you now cannot do, if they give you a lot of extra regular work to do (e.g. each week).

Within weeks this advice had saved me from being landed with a whole additional job upon my full time load.   There was complete funding for that additional role, but my department head was sneakily shifting that money to someone else for something completely different, while trying to get me to do the whole extra role for no extra money or time.

The advice has helped me again and again.  When I look around me, all the people who survive for decades in my stressful field, are those who balance workloads very sensibly, and don't take too much extra on over too extended a period of time.

#5 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:17 PM

Dishwashing liquid in the wash lifts poo stains from nappies

#6 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:41 PM

Some days all you will do will be to sit and hold and feed a baby. That’s ok.

No is a complete sentence

#7 IShallWearTinsel

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 22 December 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

I do this with my poached eggs, the bottom bit of toast gets all the drippy yolk.

#8 lizzzard

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

Don’t try and pretend to be someone else. Play to your own strengths,

#9 gruidae

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:09 PM

Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

#10 Starflash

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:49 PM

The days are long but the years are short. Helping with the baby stage of DS2.

#11 Mmmcheese

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:58 PM

The baby hasn't read the books. Damn unknowable babies.

#12 Zippypeaks

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:01 PM

Live simply so others may simply live.
You are not your bad days.
When you say No to someone, you say yes to yourself.

#13 Givingitanothergo

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

Know your worth

#14 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:42 PM

View PostGivingitanothergo, on 22 December 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

Know your worth

yes, this.

and something similar a colleague told me - not “believe in yourself” as such, which is a bit meaningless - but it got me over my “imposter syndrome” - trust your training, trust your degree - trust your experience. you deserve to be here. you’ve been accredited objectively, you’re not a fake.

#15 seayork2002

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:46 PM

My after birth home visit midwife told me 'you don't see a 18 year old wearing nappies, using a dummy, still crawling etc.'

As in they will get there one day

#16 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

that really p*sses me off when midwives say crap like that.  In reality you do see 18yo's in nappies, using chew toys and unable to walk.

#17 Mmmcheese

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

Ooh, another one. I said about a lecturer at uni that they 'gave me a good mark' and my supervisor pulled me up on that one and said (rather abruptly, which made me listen) 'she didn't give you a good mark, you earnt it.'

#18 Givingitanothergo

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:23 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 22 December 2019 - 05:42 PM, said:

yes, this.

and something similar a colleague told me - not “believe in yourself” as such, which is a bit meaningless - but it got me over my “imposter syndrome” - trust your training, trust your degree - trust your experience. you deserve to be here. you’ve been accredited objectively, you’re not a fake.

Yep! It applies to all aspects of life

#19 laridae

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:05 PM

Nurse at one of the pre baby info sessions at the hospital.
Your baby doesn't know that you are still learning. And that you are practising on them. They don't know if you've made a mistake. So don't stress if you do!

#20 spr_maiden

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

#21 Chelli

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

Ask yourself if it's going to matter in 10 years time. If not, let it go.

#22 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

Best advice I have been given is to ignore most advice that is given because most people don’t want the best for you.

The older I get the more I realise how true this is.

#23 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

Don't sweat the small stuff. (for me, anyway Im a chronic overthinker)

Don't worry too much about what to teach your kids about religion, polititcs, relationships, ethics etc. Its their life and its their own journey to work it out. If you support them and show them love they will likely make good decisions on their own.

#24 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:42 PM

An ex-colleague showed me how to make a really good coffee. That's up there!

#25 Mooples

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

Not so much advice but a quote I like to remember when my sil is trying to compare our kids who are 3 months apart.

‘Never compare your child to others. There is no comparison between the sun and the moon. Both have their time to shine’.

Makes me remember that ds and my niece are very different and that’s what makes each of them special. It doesn’t matter who did/does things first, quicker, better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.