Best advice you've been given (spin off)

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 kadoodle

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:29 PM

Those who matter don’t mind, and those who mind don’t matter.

#27 purpleblaze

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

When I was backpacking in my early 20’s:

Don’t regret the things you do, regret the things you don’t do.

Also from the current book I’m reading (Atomic Habits, lots to choose from)

Good habits make time you ally. Bad habits make time your enemy.

#28 ekbaby

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:55 PM

“You are the expert on your baby”...I don’t know exactly when it finally sunk in but basically within the first few days you and your babies other parent will be the people who have spent the most time with your baby and know so many little things about them already...remember that

“It doesn’t matter what I think it’s your baby so it has to be what you’re comfortable with”....my dad when talking to me about borrowing an old, non sids safe cot that he thought I was being a bit fussy about...but applies to lots of things

Scrambled eggs or baked beans on toast with some frozen veg are actually a very healthy dinner for a preschooler

“Fall apart Fridays” are a thing in FYOS

#29 JomoMum

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:54 PM

Your family are who you make it.

Blood relatives don’t get to be in your life “just because” if they have a negative impact on your or your family’s mental health.

#30 ExpatInAsia

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

Run your own race.

Also a senior colleague advised me to study my male seniors, how they act/react, do they self doubt or self sabotage and the like. It gave me the confidence to be more professionally aggressive and not undermine myself with imposter syndrome thoughts. It requires a bit of a mental shift but it was worth it.

#31 **Xena**

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:35 PM

Stop crossing oceans for people who wouldn't jump a puddle for you.

Talk to yourself the way you'd talk to a friend.

Edited by **Xena**, 22 December 2019 - 10:42 PM.

#32 MooGuru

Posted 23 December 2019 - 12:10 AM

You can't control/change how others behave but you can choose how you react.

From a psych in response to me feeling on edge waiting for certain people to behave in a crappy manner (it was part of a cycle of behaviour that kept repeating). I was investing so much energy and time anticipating their behaviour. It was freeing to build a wall and say I was keeping them at arms length from now on.

#33 Ellie bean

Posted 23 December 2019 - 12:21 AM

Dogs are the best people.

#34 Ellie bean

Posted 23 December 2019 - 12:35 AM

View PostExpatInAsia, on 22 December 2019 - 10:28 PM, said:

Also a senior colleague advised me to study my male seniors, how they act/react, do they self doubt or self sabotage and the like. It gave me the confidence to be more professionally aggressive and not undermine myself with imposter syndrome thoughts. It requires a bit of a mental shift but it was worth it.
Yes my friend (same job) and I often remind each other to have the confidence of a mediocre white male. Does the trick nicely.
Efs

Edited by Ellie bean, 23 December 2019 - 12:58 AM.

#35 hunter4

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:13 AM

Mine is from a friend of my husbands when we first moved to this country where snow is an option for at least 4 months of every year.....buy a house with a nice flat short driveway. We took their advice on board when house hunting and every time it snows and I'm out there shovelling my driveway I thank them profusely for their gem. It has made my life so much easier.

#36 steppy

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:01 AM

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

#37 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:25 AM

When I was pregnant a friend told me something along the lines of

You will gets lots of advice about looking after your baby. Take the useful bits that work for you/your child and ignore the rest.

#38 Silverstreak

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:55 AM

Finish what you start. This has kept me going through several projects. (Although sometimes it's good to know when to set something aside, or abandon altogether.)

#39 Sancti-claws

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:41 AM

Back yourself.  Make decisions that you are comfortable with.

#40 kimasa

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:32 AM

When you're a shorter person trying to deal with a taller person who is disgruntled try to lead the two of you to sit down, most people's height is in their legs so it brings you both to each other's eye level so they can no longer use their size to intimidate you. It often also puts an object (usually a table) in between the two of you, so they are forced to respect personal space boundaries.

I use this technique a lot at work with men who use their larger size to get into my personal space and talk down to me to get their way.

#41 lizzzard

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:47 AM

View Postkimasa, on 23 December 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

When you're a shorter person trying to deal with a taller person who is disgruntled try to lead the two of you to sit down, most people's height is in their legs so it brings you both to each other's eye level so they can no longer use their size to intimidate you. It often also puts an object (usually a table) in between the two of you, so they are forced to respect personal space boundaries.

I use this technique a lot at work with men who use their larger size to get into my personal space and talk down to me to get their way.
What a fantastic piece of advice!

#42 Beancat

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:08 AM

Stop waiting for the "right time" to start a family - there is NEVER a right time - there is ALWAYS something going on in your life.  If you wait for hte perfect time you will miss the boat!!

#43 RichardParker

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:18 AM

Stop waiting for the “right time” to write your novel, take piano lessons, learn ballet, practice yoga. Doing something for twenty minutes a day, every day, builds up to a huge amount of time over several years. And you’re not too old. Not even close.

#44 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:50 AM

Ellie bean said:

1577025324[/url]' post='18533143']
Yes my friend (same job) and I often remind each other to have the confidence of a mediocre white male. Does the trick nicely.
Efs

I have the same conversation with one of my friends!

Edited by EsmeLennox, 23 December 2019 - 10:50 AM.

#45 Hollycoddle

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:04 AM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 22 December 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

when eating a taco (or a burrito) lay *another* burrito on your plate, and eat over it, then everything that invariably falls out of the burrito you’re eating, forms the start of another burrito...

(that’s actually from my son - he’s a thinker).

My son is a similar thinker! I once put a bowl of baked beans in the microwave for him and when I got it out it was hot, he promptly went and grabbed another bowl out of the drawer and slotted the hot bowl into the new one.  He was about 5 when he did this.

Edited by Hollycoddle, 23 December 2019 - 11:11 AM.

#46 AllyK81

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:26 AM

Sometimes you don't actually owe anyone an explanation.

#47 doubledelight

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:46 AM

No is sometimes a complete sentence.

#48 Meepy

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:22 PM

Only worry about what you have control over, not what you can't control.

#49 blueskies12

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:26 PM

My favourite parenting tip was when i had my second child, was in hospital and it was one of those middle of the night feeds. A beautiful Midwife in her (guessing) 60s, said to me...you know here in hospital we can tell you all the 'right' things that are from text books, but only you know your husband, your child and other child and the dynamics that make up your family...so take our advice and leave it at the door and do what is right for you and your baby.

To this day I wish I had hugged her and thanked her. She just might have saved me from a second round of PND.

#50 CCABW

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:38 PM

Trust your gut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.