Laxative powders and toilet training

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 3frogs4u

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:40 PM

Just wanting to know if any other parents have had issues with their toddlers being on laxative powders and toilet training.
We have been toilet training for 5mths. Thrown out alot of undies.
My 3.5yr old has severe constipation and is on osmolax.  TMI this causes the poo to not be solid. My ds will just go in his undies and sit in it. Its ruined a lounge.
Need tips from parents who have had their kids on laxatives over a long period of time. (He is under the care of a paediatrician)
We have tried bribery - it doesnt work.

#2 BusbyWilkes

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:47 PM

What is the paediatrician saying to do? Usually they recommend nappies/pull-ups while on high doses of stool softeners. Once things have been cleaned out properly and the bowel is able to get accurate feedback re when it’s full, then toilet training is more realistic.

I would have thought that if your DS has poorly formed poo, he is either still partially constipated (and liquidish poo is escaping from around the impacted poo) or his dose of medication is now too high.
Has he had X-ray/ultrasound to check his bowel?

Poor him and poor you.

#3 3frogs4u

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

@busbywilkes he has had constipation since since he was a baby. He is on an as needed basis and dose of osmolax as some weeks he will only need half a small scoop and some he needs 2 big scoops despite having a scoop daily.
He has had an endoscopy last year - they suspect coeliacs but his biopsy was negative at that time. Since then he has had a blood test come back high for one of the markers and depleting iron.
We go back in jan for follow up blood test and consult with paediatrician.
When ds does go he does about 4 to 5 poos and this might be after not going for 2 days, despite having osmolax daily . We normally get to the second day of no poos and i will start increasing the osmolax dose.
I just want to know if he would feel the need or if it just comes out and thats why hes not going to the potty ?
He has done a poo once on the potty and i praised him. But it has happened since

#4 Hands Up

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:40 PM

Both my kids have had ongoing constipation and have been on parachoc and movicol. Reading your post I don’t think your DS is ready.

What we had to do was offer nappies for poos until we had really overcome it as both kids had learnt to squat to poo. We then got a good toilet seat with a high stool so there knees were up.

It sounds however your son needs another good clear out under medical supervision. DS2 needed two and it was only once we knew he was clear that our toilet training could start in earnest.

Good luck. Toilet training with a history of constipation is a special kind of hell.

If I had my time again id have used pull ups or gone back to nappies.

#5 Sweet.Pea

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:44 PM

Have you tried taking some and seeing how they work?

Some laxatives I find don't give much warning. so he could be sitting in it embarrassed.

#6 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:26 PM

He doesn't sound ready.  It's possible he is not feeling any sensations from his bowel.  I second the idea of an xray to see how impacted his bowel is--he's either on too high a dose or still has encopresis.

Timed sitting is usually recommended with the feet on a stool.

#7 tweedle-dee

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:39 PM

My child had 3 years on osmolaX,and the pead HIGHLY encouraged regular sitting on toilet (eg after breakfast and before or after bath EVERYDAY. . Praise was given for sitting for a decent length of time, rather than focusing on output

#8 meohmy

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:16 PM

All kids here have significant IBS and long term osmolax use, starting at 11 months for the first, and others did lactocur from1 month and then osmolax from five months. They had no issues learning to toilet and can definitely feel it coming. I have had the pleasure if osmolax myself for some periods of time and you can still have normal size and texture poo with it, too much will give diarrhea, and you still feel it coming.

He may just not be ready. Also, while we have our occasional ups and downs and readjustment after sickness or eating something that really didn't agree, pp% of thr time the dose is kept the same every day, along with general water intake being similar. I wonder if some of the issue could the regular changes in dosage. If he often has days without going then maybe the normal dose isn't enough. The small dose, bigger dose, small dose, bigger dose would be difficult for the insides and judging the different feels. Have you tried a few weeks on his usual plus an extra quarter scoop daily or similar to see how that goes? My eldest was on 3 scoops daily at the start. That lasted years but over time has come down to 1 and that journey involved lots of periods of readjusting and trialling new doses for a while to see.

#9 BusbyWilkes

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:05 PM

Meohmy - it’s the chronic constipation that OP mentioned that causes decreased sensation from the bowel. Just being on osmolax wouldn’t necessarily delay toilet training, as you found.

#10 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:33 PM

Encopresis is very different to IBS.  The bowel is stretched so sensation is lost.

One of mine has megacolon and at 22 he still has no sensation or warning.

#11 meohmy

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:01 PM

Oh sorry, we started with chronic chronic constipation and distension with the first. However due to treatment starting at 11 months, the damage healed over time. When I read the OPs comments about him experiencing it since a baby, I presumed (maybe wrongly) that treatment had also been since then.

#12 3frogs4u

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:57 AM

Ds dose was the same every day when he started. He was going regular for about a week and then boom he didnt go for 4 days so we increased it. Then he went and did the 10 poos to clear out.
Then we started again same dose every day and then a few weeks later he didnt go again for days.
We did this rollercoaster for ages until we got some consistency and then got him down to half a small scoop and then he didnt go again for days.
Ive made countless calls the paediatrician and he told me to increase/decrease his dose as needed.
I just wanted to know if its normal for kids who are on laxative powders to still be able to feel the urge and have toilet trained successfully.
It seems as soon as the consistency is playdough soft but still solid he has issues getting it out.

#13 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:25 AM

Sometimes when the bowel has lost tone, it is difficult for them to poo.  I'd ask your paed about adding bisacodyl drops to his regime.  This irritates the bowel and it is easier for them to poo.

There's no normal with this issue--you just need to play around with meds until you get a workable regime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.