We need a terrible presents thread!

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 yummymummycakes

Posted 26 December 2019 - 09:51 AM

Rose scented body products but someone who knows I HATE roses with a passion. I rarely use the word hate - but for roses it is appropriate!

#27 raspberry sherbert

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

None this year.

#28 zenkitty

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

I was given a 3D pen, originally bought for the 8yo but then given to me instead “just in case it doesn’t work”. Perplexing.

This family member is known for random gifts so I managed to convince them that what I really want is books (easy to read and send to the op shop/street library if they’re not my thing as I have very little storage). We were doing so well for a few years but I might need to have the book talk again before my birthday!

#29 wilding

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:02 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 25 December 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

Oh yuck, it can make you feel quite sick, too, from memory.

Hope you were able to eat your fair share if the festive excesses at home today.

Thank's BAG and Got my tinsel on, saw the messages but went to bed instead.

I still have brain fog,  a sore head, and still feel a bit gross. Didn't really eat yesterday wasn't really hungry, but we're going to do a do-over soon as we were going to go out to eat. Craving a cream donut today though! hahaha x

View Postyummymummycakes, on 26 December 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

Rose scented body products but someone who knows I HATE roses with a passion. I rarely use the word hate - but for roses it is appropriate!

Oh, my worse nightmare :sick:

#30 mm1981

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

View PostFearsomeFeralFreak, on 25 December 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

My daughter got the free toiletries kit from my very wealthy parents last trip travelling business class with Singapore Airlines.

She did get other stuff, but seriously...

Ohhh, but I used to LOVE these kits as a kid. The little tubes of toothpaste, the socks, all in a little bag. .  

My DH collects these especially so we can give them to the kids and my nieces and nephews. (We do give other stuff).

Now I am wondering if the recipricants are insulted?

#31 MessyJ

Posted 26 December 2019 - 04:54 PM

View Postmm1981, on 26 December 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

Ohhh, but I used to LOVE these kits as a kid. The little tubes of toothpaste, the socks, all in a little bag. .  

My DH collects these especially so we can give them to the kids and my nieces and nephews. (We do give other stuff).

I think they're fun and great things to pass on to kids! Just not as 'gifts' given they are clearly freebies... I'd give them at times which are not birthdays/Christmas.

#32 JustBeige

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:06 PM

DS received a Unit brand tee.  Its a Motoxross brand so totally sexist and demeaning to women. Its semi naked lady covered in tatts.
He would never pick something like this to buy in a million years, and neither would The Moron, yet TM,deemed it OK to buy.  (For context DS is 18 and I already struggle with having him understand feminism and patriarchy )

Im sooo tempted to boil it accidentally when washing it.

#33 BeAwesome

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostJingleBlitzenBalls, on 26 December 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

DS received a Unit brand tee.  Its a Motoxross brand so totally sexist and demeaning to women. Its semi naked lady covered in tatts.
He would never pick something like this to buy in a million years, and neither would The Moron, yet TM,deemed it OK to buy.  (For context DS is 18 and I already struggle with having him understand feminism and patriarchy )

This is a bit random, but I was buying something in a surf store for my daughter, and there was a woman on the phone next to me, looking at what sounds like an identical t-shirt, on the phone calling another person to ask if it was appropriate to buy for a late teen.  I wonder if it was meant for your DS?

#34 Ellie bean

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

Not a complaint as they’re so great but my parents gave me a very ornate brooch for Christmas. I’ve never been seen to wear a brooch (or really ornate jewellery) and I’m not 70 so wtf?? I think it’s really expensive and they bought it while on an overseas trip so I can’t even discreetly swap it...

#35 Riotproof

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

Could you use it as a scarf pin? Do you wear scarves?

#36 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 26 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 26 December 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

Not a complaint as they’re so great but my parents gave me a very ornate brooch for Christmas. I’ve never been seen to wear a brooch (or really ornate jewellery) and I’m not 70 so wtf?? I think it’s really expensive and they bought it while on an overseas trip so I can’t even discreetly swap it...

Van Cleef and Arpels by any chance? i’m not a brooch wearer but i would probably wear one of theirs. a jewellery  store might be interested in it (antique, estate jewellery etc).

#37 MsLaurie

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:14 PM

Do you wear winter coats? Brooches look stunning on wool coats, you’ll be very glam.

#38 zenkitty

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:22 PM

Do you need not one but two cloak pins to go with it?

#39 maryanneK

Posted 26 December 2019 - 06:42 PM

My in-laws are lovely but we specifically requested no/small presents for us and the three kids because we can't carry them back home in the plane with us. They've ignored that and bought heaps of bulky thing which we don't have a hope of using or fitting in our suitcases and are just going to get left behind and cause upset when we leave. Plus we have SO much chocolate it's ridiculous. I'm not afraid of the odd treat for kids at Christmas but I'm talking kilograms of lollies and chocolate...

#40 IkeaAddict

Posted 26 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

My mum gave me money. And lipstick. I don't wear lipstick. I have never worn lipstick. I will never wear lipstick

#41 noelaus3

Posted 26 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

I got 2 tea towels for Christmas (plus a few other small things).  One from my mum and the other from my SIL.  This is puzzling because I never cook or enter the kitchen too much (I work late, my DH is a serious foodie and I just get in the way) and they know this :huh: Both are 1950s housewife types.  A message perhaps.......

#42 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 26 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

I didn't get anything terrible this year.  But then I did choose 95% of what I got and have waited a year to get some of it.

#43 Evra

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:24 PM

Nowhere near as terrible as some of these, but I asked my mum for a Kobo voucher. To be fair, she did give me one, but also a three books in one hardcover volume of Wilbur Smith. That’s something I can carry on the train, sure. I’ve also never read Wilbur Smith or expressed any interest in doing so. Would have much preferred the extra $ on the voucher.

#44 Sancti-claws

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:49 PM

View PostSilverstreak, on 25 December 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

As mentioned in the Christmas vents thread, DS got a wonky fringe cut with a pair of kitchen scissors from an adult relative, when DH and I weren't looking.
Am reading this thread with my DH, and he said his mum (who is actually an awesome hairdresser) would do something like that.  But then, she would do a good job and she has so many random people come into her house and need "just a little trim" that it would all be part of the conveyor belt.

When we were over there last, she and her sister trimmed her great-nephew's long hair - he looked pretty stunning by the end.

Daughter's boyfriend's mother gave me Avon solid scent.  To be fair, I gave her chocolate and then discovered she was pre-diabetic so in a parallel message board she is probably b**ching about that.

#45 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:07 AM

I got a French nail diy kit from a relo. I've been in her family for 20 years. I've never done my nails professionally. Nor have I ever expressed a desire to get my nails done. I'm still very boggled.

Another relo from DP side gave me a ton of tiny little round Tupperware containers. I mean Tupperware is cool, but thess things would've been perfect 16 years ago when DS17 was getting started on food and I separated what I cooked for him. I also got a tourist tee towel...

DS10 got the same tin of books he's received for the last 3 years. No words. I texted said person and told them and as per usual no reply.

DS17 got a cricket set. DS17 was silent for a solid minute. Lol He has never played cricket or showed interest. Person who gifted him knows his life is graphic art.

I'm done lol.

Edited by ImperatorFuriosa, 27 December 2019 - 12:09 AM.

#46 JustBeige

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:45 AM

View PostBeAwesome, on 26 December 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

This is a bit random, but I was buying something in a surf store for my daughter, and there was a woman on the phone next to me, looking at what sounds like an identical t-shirt, on the phone calling another person to ask if it was appropriate to buy for a late teen.  I wonder if it was meant for your DS?
oh that wouldnt surprise me with the way the universe is. Aussie? Dark short curly hair? Almost looks permed?

#47 born.a.girl

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:51 AM

View Postmm1981, on 26 December 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

I've given them to people too, not as gifts but just because.  The fact that it might be their birthday or Christmas is because that's when I see them.

Likewise, I wonder, given it's not their actual gift.  I wouldn't wrap it though - and I wouldn't hand it over with their gift.

I certainly didn't get offended when my sister gave me one of hers - they were travelling BC long before us.

#48 born.a.girl

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:54 AM

View PostIkeaAddict, on 26 December 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

My mum gave me money. And lipstick. I don't wear lipstick. I have never worn lipstick. I will never wear lipstick

I gave up on your mother after the password incident.

Even my mother wasn't that bad, and she was bad enough.

#49 born.a.girl

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

Well I nearly am and I still don't wear them.

I think younger people can get away with wearing them better than we oldies.   I would just look like I never the got the fashion message.  My daughter, however, wears what my MIL used to wear as a 'house dress' - 100% polyester and looks fantastic.

#50 123Tree

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:00 AM

View PostJingleBlitzenBalls, on 26 December 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

Lol. My DH and sons know they aren’t allowed any unit clothing even if it has no pictures on the front. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.