Don't make it political (Mentions Fires)

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 Trevor Trove

Posted 26 December 2019 - 07:23 PM

get to deal first hand with the consequences of being neighbours to State and Federal land

This! Not Crown but my poor friend has been dealing with State Forestry and Nat parks having a huge tiffy fit with each other whilst her land burns!

#77 redsocks

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

In 2020 I have resolved to try to engage with quiet Australians (those who close to me and others) to shift thinking on climate change. I have a tendency to let my emotions take over, which results in people becoming defensive and doesn’t change anything. I have gathered a collection of facts (thanks to the Guardian, ABC and other links posted on EB) and plan to have gentle conversations (E.g. when people start talking about smoke in Sydney$ , ask people questions and listen. I read some comments by Arnold Schwarzenegger re research about the term”climate change” registered concern for 17% of Republican voters, however “air pollution” was a concern for over 50%. Those of us who are informed about the science and desperately want to see our government act need to work on counteracting the lies and bias of the Murdoch press in our own social circles. I’d love to hear about any successes some of you have had amongst your friends and family

#78 redsocks

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:18 AM

Something else I am trying is commenting on articles on climate change on websites outside my own echo chamber  (E.g. Mama Mia) to provide an alternative to the voices of climate change deniers

#79 lizzzard

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:30 AM

The reasons why politicisation occurs in the middle of events is completely understandable. I’m definitely not saying the frustration that leads to it isn’t valid. But that’s different to agreeing that it’s achieving effective outcomes - I’m not sure it’s helping. Politics is needed absolutely - but not during the crisis itself.

#80 Riotproof

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:41 AM

The problem with waiting for the crisis to end, is another one will start. It's been a wave of crises .. these are no longer freak events.

#81 Kallie88

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

The voting public in general also have pretty short memories, I don't think you can wait until a crisis has passed to speak about it anymore, it just becomes white noise drowned out by different news. If we don't point out (for example) morrisons abysmal behavior as its happening, are his supporters even going to believe they happened later, they'd probably just be all "fake news, if it was true we'd have heard about it at the time" etc. Some it won't matter anyway. Others it will.

#82 Treasure Island

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:51 PM

This says it all for me:

https://www.facebook...61362403923863/

#83 franklymum

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:59 PM

Only had time to read to page two but in case no one has shared this yet:

https://www.theguard...azard-reduction

#84 IShallWearTinsel

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

I think it also comes from a blindness towards anything not supported by mainstream media and what people are told to think, so they would rather not think at all.
'dont be political' is a way of shutting down the conversation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.