Kindle and Public Libraries

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 steppingonlego

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:45 AM

I am completely new to ereaders. I got a Kindle for Christmas (I think a paper white)

I have been trying to work out how to download a borrowed library ebook onto my Kindle and I am afraid that it seems I can't? That Kindle doesn't work with Adobe Digital Editions which seems to be the platform that my local library uses.

Devastated to say the least. I am a voracious reader and can't afford to purchase books at the rate I go through them.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?

Thanks

#2 Riotproof

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:47 AM

Go and search for free kindle books on amazon.

They get updated a lot. They also often have books for 99c etc I think.

#3 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:52 AM

Is it too late to swap it for a Kobo?

#4 ponky

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:52 AM

I do believe Kindles are not compatible with Borrowbox or Overdrive (Libby) in Australia.  You can download the apps onto a phone or ipad or tablet.

I have a Kobo Clara and that works with Adobe Digital.

Sorry

#5 steppingonlego

Posted 27 December 2019 - 11:54 AM

Thanks wow that's a shame. Yes it is too late I have already purchased and read a book on it.

Will do a search for free books as well thanks

#6 Mollyksy

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:02 PM

On my old kindle I could (somewhat) read PDFs if I loaded them the old fashioned way via the USB cable. There are a tonne of free PDF books online if the newer kindles can still do that.

I found the set of 3 investigators books (Jupiter Jones, Bob and Pete I think they were) on PDF even years ago. Some story about the heirs and a contested copyright and them wanting to make it free.

And here you go! https://freebooklove...ors-be.html?m=1

#7 IamzFeralz

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:02 PM

Another thing you can do is to sign up to Bookbub.  They will send you a daily email with good book offers based on your interests which are either free or heavily discounted.  I’ve picked up a lot of good quality books this way.

Also, Amazon has a Daily Deal.  Sign up to that as well.  The books on offer are discounted and sometimes it’s a top listing book.  They also do Monthly deals too.

#8 steppingonlego

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the tips guys

Looks like Kindle Unlimited has a 3 month trial for .99

I am wondering if unlimited means all the titles or not

Will sign up to the Amazon daily deal and book hub as well
Not sure if I can get PDFs onto this kindle will investigate

#9 4*shining*stars

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:10 PM

To get library books on your Kindle, you need a paid membership with a US Library.

For free books, sign up to BookBub, you will get daily emails with free and low cost books.

#10 BusbyWilkes

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

I have an oldish Kindle and use Amazon. It starts to know your preferences so I get emails about my type of books weekly. I get either free or cheap ones - never pay more than $1.99! If I want a specific new release book, I still buy a real book.

Edited by BusbyWilkes, 27 December 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#11 SusanStoHelit

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:20 PM

Unfortunately, kindle unlimited does not give you a big range of titles.

I read a lot of sci fi / fantasy, and you seem to only get self published dross that only costs $1-2 to buy any way, so you would have to read a lot to make the $13 monthly subcription fee cost effective.

You will occasionally find a gem, or get some “big” books on kindle unlimited for a short time. (ATM the Harry Potter books are on there for example).

#12 steppingonlego

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:24 PM

Gosh it might be cheaper to invest in a Kobo or similar at this rate.

I would use the iPad but it is so heavy kind of defeats the purpose.

#13 barrington

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

My DD13 has a Kobo Aura and she can borrow directly from her school library on the device.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:30 PM

I use the online library through Libby a lot, and I use my iPad mini. One of the reasons I stuck with a mini instead of upgrading to the latest iPad was its small size and weight. Sorry, doesn’t help you much, I didn’t realise a kindle couldn’t use library loans, I was sure my mum managed it, but maybe she did it manually like a PP did. Her kindle is older too.

#15 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

Libby does have some kindle titles but they are few and far between. When you go into Libby (you can use the app) go to preferences and change the compatibility to Kindle. Then the titles available will come up. Then you push it through the wifi from the borrowing screen to your kindle (you will have a kindle email address this is what you use. You go to the borrowing screen and go send to device). It can be a bit finicky the first time but once it’s set it’s easier. There was a big uproar about overdrive (Libby) not being kindle compatible so they now do a limited selection. Digital editions is for ePub.

Edited by MayaTheGrinch, 27 December 2019 - 01:51 PM.

#16 kimasa

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

Amazon allowed one model of Kindle public library rights in Australia after a huge fight from ALIA. Most models are not PL compatible. It has nothing to do with the providers themselves and everything to do with Amazon making too much money from Australians to allow it.

#17 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:41 PM

I'm a member of a overseas library and I get books on to my kindle that way.

#18 Tall Poppy

Posted 27 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

I wanted a kindle but got a kobo for this exact reason. My local library doesn’t have a huge amount of titles though so I often buy books from kobo, the prices vary from free upwards.
Depending on what you want to read kindle books might have a lot of free or cheapish titles.

View PostImperatorFuriosa, on 27 December 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

I'm a member of a overseas library and I get books on to my kindle that way.

which library?

#19 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:21 PM

View PostTall Poppy, on 27 December 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

I wanted a kindle but got a kobo for this exact reason. My local library doesn’t have a huge amount of titles though so I often buy books from kobo, the prices vary from free upwards.
Depending on what you want to read kindle books might have a lot of free or cheapish titles.

which library?

Orange county digital library.

#20 IamzFeralz

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostTall Poppy, on 27 December 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yes I used to have a Kobo when my local library enthusiastically adopted the ebook program and for awhile it was good but then they deprioritised it and barely add new titles now.  If you live in a metro area it’s a good idea to join more than one council library so you have a decent selection.  

There are also waiting lists for the popular titles.

#21 Imaginary friend

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:19 PM

Not sure what state you are in.

Here in SA, you just join any council library and that gives you access to all the library e books in the state.

But, no good if it doesn't work with kindle.

I do it on iPad.

#22 JustBeige

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:45 AM

Posts removed for legal reasons. Please do not refer to removed content or repost the same information

#23 overlytired

Posted 28 December 2019 - 07:16 AM

You could reset to factory settings, return it, and buy a Kobo (you would still be able to access whatever you already purchased via the Kindle app on  smartphone or tablet).

#24 jojonbeanie

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:16 PM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 27 December 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

Yes I used to have a Kobo when my local library enthusiastically adopted the ebook program and for awhile it was good but then they deprioritised it and barely add new titles now.  If you live in a metro area it’s a good idea to join more than one council library so you have a decent selection.  

There are also waiting lists for the popular titles.

Some libraries now have digital-only membership so that you dont need to visit them to join and they are happy to sign you up even if you are not a local resident. This can be a good way to expand your access to multiple collections even if you live in a regional area.  For instance, Yarra Plenty Regional Library is happy to provide digital-only access to anyone in Victoria.
https://www.yprl.vic.gov.au/join-yprl/

#25 steppingonlego

Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:10 AM

View PostIamzFeralz, on 27 December 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

Another thing you can do is to sign up to Bookbub.  They will send you a daily email with good book offers based on your interests which are either free or heavily discounted.  I’ve picked up a lot of good quality books this way.

Also, Amazon has a Daily Deal.  Sign up to that as well.  The books on offer are discounted and sometimes it’s a top listing book.  They also do Monthly deals too.

I have subscribed and I was interested in one of the books which said it was $1.99 but when I clicked on the link it took me to Amazon where it was $12.99. Is there something I am missing to get them at the cheaper price?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.